Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

So I've been doing a lot of aluminum tig welding in the last week. Been using 6061 1/8" for my plate. We have only 3/32" 4043 at school so my first question is is this okay or should we have other filler? When I run a t-joint I am having issues getting plate A and plate B to melt at the same time. I have played with all sorts of arc length and have my machine maxed at 180 and run all the way up and down with the pedal, but can't get them to melt at the same time. Occasionally when I do I have issues with the filler going in sometimes. Wrong filler or operator error. Other than that I guess all I need to figure out for now is not dipping or figuring how to slide my torch hand and feed rod. Good thing I have a few years until I need a job. :lol:
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick

When first starting your weld it's not uncommon for the arc to form a puddle on one of the plates before the other, remember the plates were at room temp and are now being heated by the arc, and as you know AL draws away the heat quick. When this happens add some filler to the puddle and it will jump to the other plate, now if you were using too few amps then that would also cause this issue and adding filler will not help.

When starting a weld like this jump on the pedal to get a puddle ASAP, then as you progress you will need to back down some as the plates warm.

This scenario could be magnified if you were welding thick to thin AL.
Richard
Website
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

It's all practice, torch angle, and experience.

Like said above, put the amps to it right away - puddle in 3 seconds or less is the goal.

Get it to join with high amps, not "sneaking up" on it - low amps makes edges melt away from each other instead of together.

I've even speed tacked 1/16" alum with a 3/4 second blast of 230 amps and no filler.

Be bold, use power, get a puddle and go for it :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Farmwelding wrote:So I've been doing a lot of aluminum tig welding in the last week. Been using 6061 1/8" for my plate. We have only 3/32" 4043 at school so my first question is is this okay or should we have other filler? When I run a t-joint I am having issues getting plate A and plate B to melt at the same time. I have played with all sorts of arc length and have my machine maxed at 180 and run all the way up and down with the pedal, but can't get them to melt at the same time. Occasionally when I do I have issues with the filler going in sometimes. Wrong filler or operator error. Other than that I guess all I need to figure out for now is not dipping or figuring how to slide my torch hand and feed rod. Good thing I have a few years until I need a job. :lol:
If you are not heating both plates at the same time, your torch angle is wrong or your arc is wandering. Millions of aluminum tig welds get done every day with 4043 so it's not the filler. A welding machine does what you tell it to do and it has no mind of its own so when there is a fuckup, one guess as to whose fault it is. Tig welding AL is just another thing to learn in a world where no one at this site invented it, they only learned it from someone passing down prior knowledge. I know some people want others to think that they have re-invented the wheel and have some super-natural insight into welding process' but the fact is all welding knowledge and experience is nothing new and nothing more than regurgitated knowledge. Prove me wrong.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

exnailpounder wrote: If you are not heating both plates at the same time, your torch angle is wrong or your arc is wandering. Millions of aluminum tig welds get done every day with 4043 so it's not the filler. A welding machine does what you tell it to do and it has no mind of its own so when there is a fuckup, one guess as to whose fault it is. Tig welding AL is just another thing to learn in a world where no one at this site invented it, they only learned it from someone passing down prior knowledge. I know some people want others to think that they have re-invented the wheel and have some super-natural insight into welding process' but the fact is all welding knowledge and experience is nothing new and nothing more than regurgitated knowledge. Prove me wrong.
I invented the internet, tig welding, big blocks and ice cream :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
    Sun Feb 12, 2017 1:08 am

Farmwelding wrote:So I've been doing a lot of aluminum tig welding in the last week. Been using 6061 1/8" for my plate. We have only 3/32" 4043 at school so my first question is is this okay or should we have other filler? When I run a t-joint I am having issues getting plate A and plate B to melt at the same time. I have played with all sorts of arc length and have my machine maxed at 180 and run all the way up and down with the pedal, but can't get them to melt at the same time. Occasionally when I do I have issues with the filler going in sometimes. Wrong filler or operator error. Other than that I guess all I need to figure out for now is not dipping or figuring how to slide my torch hand and feed rod. Good thing I have a few years until I need a job. :lol:
Dude. I feel ya. As mentioned before, throw the heat to it and once you get it going you can back it off when it heats up.
As for the filler, try both hands to see which one suits you best for the rod and the torch. I know you need to practice with both hands but if you just need to see results and get comfortable dipping the rod, switch around and see what happens. I like to practice filling saw kerfs in 1/8" wall square tube (2x3 is what we have laying around) and then grinding them flat to see what they would look like as a repair. That's just me though..... Anyway I know you will get it down in no time. In the meanwhile, have fun with it while you have a chance to explore what "your way" is. :)
"Why is there never time to do anything right the first time but always time to do it again?"
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

MinnesotaDave wrote:
exnailpounder wrote: If you are not heating both plates at the same time, your torch angle is wrong or your arc is wandering. Millions of aluminum tig welds get done every day with 4043 so it's not the filler. A welding machine does what you tell it to do and it has no mind of its own so when there is a fuckup, one guess as to whose fault it is. Tig welding AL is just another thing to learn in a world where no one at this site invented it, they only learned it from someone passing down prior knowledge. I know some people want others to think that they have re-invented the wheel and have some super-natural insight into welding process' but the fact is all welding knowledge and experience is nothing new and nothing more than regurgitated knowledge. Prove me wrong.
I'll give you tig welding and big blocks but everyone knows Al Gore invented the internet :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Farmwelding

I invented the internet, tig welding, big blocks and ice cream :D[/quote]
I'll give you tig welding and big blocks but everyone knows Al Gore invented the internet :lol:[/quote]

There is is. I was waiting for it :lol:
I know aluminum is a pain to start with heat, but sometimes I'm goin full pedal at 180 amps on 1/8" and it won't go. Although when I was running some stringers during homeroom( one of the perks of having homeroom with the shop teacher and doing what I want to and minding my own business) and I had a very fine point on 3/32" ceriated tungsten. A point you would use for razor blades. I've noticed that the ceriated doesn't like to ball whatsoever for me but with the point it was the most stable arc I've ever had. Usually I have issues with starting arcs on AC but it started like nothing. I may try out the tungsten point on Monday on a t-joint to see how it goes.
Another thing is to-I've found it easier to run stringers uphill on aluminum. Maybe it is just me, but is this normal.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Farmwelding wrote: I know aluminum is a pain to start with heat, but sometimes I'm goin full pedal at 180 amps on 1/8" and it won't go.
This says "arc length" to me.
Another thing is to-I've found it easier to run stringers uphill on aluminum. Maybe it is just me, but is this normal.
Welding uphill is always easier than downhill. The heat you are creating naturally "climbs" underneath you and when adding rod downhill, you are normally achieving less penetration (all things being equal). That is why downhill uses small changes in your technique to insure proper penetration.

Want to be great at welding TIG downhill? Learn to run 6010 downhill in an overhead position. If you survive that learning experience without burning yourself like Joan of Arc, you'll find TIG downhill to be a picnic. :D

cj737 wrote:
Farmwelding wrote: I know aluminum is a pain to start with heat, but sometimes I'm goin full pedal at 180 amps on 1/8" and it won't go.
cj737 wrote: This says "arc length" to me.
+1
Starting isn't difficult - short arc length, pour the coals to it :)
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
mpete53
    Sun Mar 06, 2016 11:33 am

Although I don't work in aluminum similar problem come up on steel and stainless

Try changing your torch angle. I don't mean along the weld travel (front to back) rather side to side. Much is said here about front to back travel but little about side to side. I find the term tig torch to be a very accurate term since the heat output is just as directional as that of an oxy torch. The heat is focused directly on line with the tungsten. If one side is getting hotter than the other tip the torch so the tungsten point more towards the cooler side. I find it is harder to get the correct side to side angle correct when starting a weld than the front to back, but once the arch is started the puddle will show you which side is hotter and the correction is easy to make. Until the weld heats up I sometimes find a very slight side to side motion also helps

Mark
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:
Be bold, use power, get a puddle and go for it :D
The best way to go.

You sometimes have to take a chance with aluminum, after doing it enough you know whats possible but I did a lot of bold stuff with aluminum and sometimes it worked and sometimes it didn't.
if there's a welder, there's a way
Mihtu
    Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:01 am

I started to realize,the more my projects grew,the harder it became to start a weld,that's when I would wave my Mapp torch over it to kick start the heat,don't have a huge expensive welder,so for now the preheat helps!
Farmwelding

Well... I may have found part of the problem. I was looking at my aluminum and saw .187. I went a grabbed a caliper and sure as hell it is 3/16" aluminum. I grabbed it and didn't check since all the other was 1/8". Our machine only packs 180 so to get started is a heck of a time. So...I may grab the 1/8" and try that out. That is also why it takes a little longer to start a puddle especially when I was on 140 amps :lol:
Nick
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote:
I'll give you tig welding and big blocks but everyone knows Al Gore invented the internet :lol:
He invented global warming too! :lol: :roll: :roll: :roll: