Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

The worst one for me is TIG welding overhead. Despite a jacket with snapped up cuffs, despite wearing gauntlet gloves, damn arc flash still gets on the underside of my rod arm. SPF 2,000,000 won't even stop it. Pisses me off that UVC is a most clever and devious bastard!

As for the chin flap, if you sit at your table welding, especially on aluminum, the flash reflecting off the aluminum will find every nook and cranny and cook your peas. Even your ear lobes. Sunscreen for your face, neck and hands, long sleeves (dark cotton T-shirts work well) and gloves (TIG welding attire).

Stick welding, well thats a completely different wardrobe. No lace up shoes for me, slip over boots. Ever caught a molten ball of burning hot steel from 6010 downhill try to wriggle its way in between your laces and lace flap? You should see how quickly someone moves trying to unlace their boot, dance and prance because their foot is on fire, and tear ass around a worksite looking for a bucket of water. Only takes seeing it once to learn that lesson.

Welding isn't for sissies. Just the physical demands of the work, the strength, the flexibility and concentration to do it requires a strong back and a strong mind. Add to it, the strength of character to do all that while robed up in fire protective gear in the blazing hot sun or sub-zero temps with a gale force wind while lying in the mud. Nope, welding ain't for everyone, but they sure make it look easy and fun on Instagram and YouTube. :D

Welders have my utmost respect. I wish I were man enough and young enough to be one.
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

My leather arrived from Amazon. I don't have a lot of confidence in clips and such, so I plan to drill 4 holes in the helmet and attach the leather with short screws and washers.

I think I'll order a Tillman 6230 cotton jacket and see how it works out.
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.