Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Welding arc produces uvc which is the most dangerous to us and is cumulative. So why does the home/hobby welder need less protection than tradies given burns happen within minutes?
Sunscreen
Long sleeves and pants
Leather footwear
Gloves
Shield
Someone said flannel. You gotta be kidding who wants to be a human roman candle?

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Yeah between flannel and frayed jeans I don't know what lights up quicker. Is sunscreen necessary? I've never heard of people using it really before this. Is this common in certain types or all welding?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

Can I put sunscreen in my eyes next time?
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.
Farmwelding

Chips O'Toole wrote:Can I put sunscreen in my eyes next time?
-10/10 would not reccomend. This is one of the perks of auto dark hoods-you don't always have to lift it up-or you flash yourself- and don't put your foot on the pedal until you are ready because I have flashed myself with AC before and that is one hell of a bright arc at 180 amps for two seconds.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick

Someone told me about suede bibs for helmets, to close the gap in front of the neck. I ordered a piece of leather from Amazon, and I will secure it in place as soon as I get it.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Farmwelding wrote: A flap disk or a wire wheel will be fine. Just make her shiny.
Acetone is very critical for carbon steel especially for practice stuff. Mostly for aluminum.
And clean every side-top, bottom, and sides.
No, no, and no.

Wire wheels tend to polish heavy mill scale instead of remove it. Grinding wheel or flap wheel removes it.

Some stuff is very clean already - but cleaning won't hurt it.
Metal type is not the deciding factor, what's on it is.
Oily steel is just as important to clean as oily aluminum.

Clean where you weld on thick stuff. If it's thin enough to pull impurities from the backside, then also clean it.
Imagine cleaning every surface on a 3 foot wide piece just to weld the edge - doesn't make sense.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Farmwelding wrote:Is sunscreen necessary? I've never heard of people using it really before this. Is this common in certain types or all welding?
Since tig doesn't throw sparks, thinner shirts tend to be worn.
Or no sleeves and use sunblock on arms (not me).

At 200 amps I sunburned my chest tig welding with a single layer of long sleeve t-shirt.

At an acquaintances shop, he told me when they fire up his 500 amp wire feed, it will sunburn you through your jeans - so he has them wear a leather apron.

Another welder told me he gets burns on his neck from welders near him - so he needs sunscreen.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Farmwelding

I guess if never thought of the wore wheel that way. I guess that could not work perfectly. As for cleaning I guess my mind immediately went to small pieces for solely practice. I'm used to doing this so I just clean both sides to do practice in both sides running beads. And I figured for steel shiny surface gets you there. I guess sometimes you think back on the more recent experiences you've had and forget about some of the junk metal. I guess the moral to the story is clean the hell out of your material for tig welding especially when starting. Back to the main thought on my mind. Why does the wire wheel only polish. I always thought of it as a removed of the junk on top since it turns shiny like grinding except less material removal? I beleive you Dave but just wondering why?

And as for the sunscreen I guess that make sense. 500 amps on a wire feeder must do a number on skin. I'll bet those mig nozzles are hot at the end of the day.
Nick
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Chips O'Toole wrote:Someone told me about suede bibs for helmets, to close the gap in front of the neck. I ordered a piece of leather from Amazon, and I will secure it in place as soon as I get it.
Yeah. Just a little bibby flap in the front and (for me) one on the back to block light. Turns a $30.00 helmet into a nice $30.00 helmet :lol: . Little hook&loop patches of velcro from the craft store work well.

The front is nice to prevent welders tan, but the back one is for visibility.

I wear gloves and sleeves because I'm scots-irish and burn like a ginger in the sun.
Farmwelding

You know Pete I'm gonna have to try that. I have a Tillman leather flap on the front cause I was running a lot of self-shielded flux core and stick and getting angrier than a hive of bees with all the spatter. I might have to get one for the back and try it out. Although being in school it is still nice to see the reflection of what jerk is tapping on my shoulder and asking me something so I can know who to yell at once I'm done. :lol:
Nick
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Wire wheel is for cleaning up welds between passes

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Farmwelding

Coldman wrote:Wire wheel is for cleaning up welds between passes

Sent using Tapatalk
Makes sense now- hence the name stringer wire wheel at least for that type. That makes a million times more sense now.
Nick
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

You mean nobody flashes you from behind with one of those little led-flash lights?

Not that you should ever do that to any one on Monday when you get to class. I would never do anything like that. ;)

I will have to fire up the knot wheel and see what, exactly, it takes off. It's great for MIG, but it sounds like it's not the thing for TIG.
mopeep
    Wed Sep 09, 2015 6:54 am

For gosh sakes don't TIG while wearing a "polo" type shirt. A couple of years ago I ordered a new Alpha 200 and got all my gear together while waiting on shipment. Tig gloves, protective sleeves, had my Ar bottle full. I was ready to go when the big day came and the brown truck came by.
I came home from work, unboxed everything and her set up. So excited I put my sleeves on pulled, put on my gloves, put on my crappy old auto darkener hood I have been using for mig and fired her up.
After months of watching Jody's videos I was actually able to run 3 or 4 beads before I shut her down and finished my real work day.
I was wearing an open collar knit shirt and forgot to put on a cape or jacket. The helmet didn't cover my neck. Within a day or so I had no skin on a triangle at the front of my neck where the knit shirt buttons lay open. Third degree burns. Raw neck meat.
Had to put Neosporin on that crap for two weeks.
Told dermatologist about it the next time I saw him for my annual skin check and he hit the ceiling.

I added a leather neck protector flap and now never let any bare skin be exposed to arc light.

I shake my head when I see people on tv tig welding without even gloves on.
Miller 211
AHP AlphaTIG 200X
Hypertherm plasma
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

The worst one for me is TIG welding overhead. Despite a jacket with snapped up cuffs, despite wearing gauntlet gloves, damn arc flash still gets on the underside of my rod arm. SPF 2,000,000 won't even stop it. Pisses me off that UVC is a most clever and devious bastard!

As for the chin flap, if you sit at your table welding, especially on aluminum, the flash reflecting off the aluminum will find every nook and cranny and cook your peas. Even your ear lobes. Sunscreen for your face, neck and hands, long sleeves (dark cotton T-shirts work well) and gloves (TIG welding attire).

Stick welding, well thats a completely different wardrobe. No lace up shoes for me, slip over boots. Ever caught a molten ball of burning hot steel from 6010 downhill try to wriggle its way in between your laces and lace flap? You should see how quickly someone moves trying to unlace their boot, dance and prance because their foot is on fire, and tear ass around a worksite looking for a bucket of water. Only takes seeing it once to learn that lesson.

Welding isn't for sissies. Just the physical demands of the work, the strength, the flexibility and concentration to do it requires a strong back and a strong mind. Add to it, the strength of character to do all that while robed up in fire protective gear in the blazing hot sun or sub-zero temps with a gale force wind while lying in the mud. Nope, welding ain't for everyone, but they sure make it look easy and fun on Instagram and YouTube. :D

Welders have my utmost respect. I wish I were man enough and young enough to be one.

My leather arrived from Amazon. I don't have a lot of confidence in clips and such, so I plan to drill 4 holes in the helmet and attach the leather with short screws and washers.

I think I'll order a Tillman 6230 cotton jacket and see how it works out.