Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Thanks! It might have been better if I weren't half-lit at the end. I had no idea it would be over three hours to edit it to what was used. Another lesson learned. If I'm ever asked back, I will keep that in mind! :lol:

Steve S
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

JHenze646 wrote:I am a self-learning hobby welder. In between practice beads, I weld bits of scrap together and make junk.
IMG_20170305_112130_028.jpg
I was trying to weld a section of nail to a piece of hrs using er70s2. It started hissing and spitting and would not join. I don't know what the nail is made of but the other end welded fine. Both pieces were ground and wiped with acetone.
In a cant-hurt-to-try moment, I pick up a stub of 309L. It wet right in and lifted some crud out. I remember seeing or reading somewhere that 309L could be used for dirty situations but I am not sure. This is the internet.

I understand my use is not a critical application and anything that works would be fine. However is this a useable option if a similar problem is encountered on a more serious project?

I would have taken a picture of the horrible weld I am referencing but it is a nail welded to a piece of bar stock. :D

Thanks for the help.
Are you from Pittsburgh?

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
JHenze646
    Thu Sep 08, 2016 1:44 pm

GreinTime wrote: Are you from Pittsburgh?

Yes, I am.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

JHenze646 wrote:
GreinTime wrote: Are you from Pittsburgh?

Yes, I am.
Me too! So is RahTreeLimbs, and Braehill!

#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-