Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

When you add a Helium mix to your argon is there a rough calculation on how many simulated amps you gain?
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Interesting question. I'm not sure how one would quantify it, short of advanced mathematics to give theoretical values. I have used helium mixes (in approximate quantities from two flow-meters) and can't even give you a rough guess.

Steve S
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Interesting question. I'm not sure how one would quantify it, short of advanced mathematics to give theoretical values. I have used helium mixes (in approximate quantities from two flow-meters) and can't even give you a rough guess.

Steve S

Steve I know a ballpark quess is there somewhere.

The reason I ask......If you look at my thread "How Nice It Is" I am tig welding 1/4 aluminum. I was using my HTP 221 Invertig. Amperage was maxed out at 220. The whole process was a learning experience. I had to hold longer to establish a puddle......and i had to hold between dabs to keep the puddle fluid. It all worked.....just took longer. I don't do much over 1/8" aluminum.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I'll throw a rough guess of 25-30% at a 50/50 mix, but that's merely a guess. At 30%, that would be another 66A, in your case.

I never tried to quantify it before. I only used it when I got to 1/2" sections where pre-heat alone would not be sufficient with 310A max capacity at 10% duty.

Steve S
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I welded up a table base of 3x3x0.25 steel this weekend. Using straight Argon, I was running 180 amps. Bottle was pretty low to start the day, and ran out with about a quarter of the job left. Swapped in a 75/25 Helium mix and ran the balance of the welding at 140 amps. I did adjust the flow up by about 5cfh based upon color of the tungsten while workin, but the welding went smooth as butter with the added He and lowered amps.