Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Olivero wrote:I was doing 1/4 or 3/16" 3003 diamond plate once, blasting my welder for hooooooours. Had to keep on stopping because the torch got too hot. Ended up grabbing a bucket of cold water and I would dip the torch it in, worked just about once :lol:
Must be kind of hard on those alumina cups, I'd think... :shock:

Steve S
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Yeah, didn't work out too well, contaminated the living hell out of my hoses too. Split the taperered part of the cup right in half.
if there's a welder, there's a way
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:
pgk wrote:Looks like that got hot in a hurry Otto! :shock: Luckily my machine was set for about half of that!

Pete
Pete, I should have mentioned it was AC welding, so tons of heat in the torch, lead, and coolant already. The steam looked like smoke (and there was smoke from the burned hose), and someone ran up and killed the disconnect at my power outlet PDQ. I was doing a long 1/2" aluminum 4G from a creeper, and rolled a wheel over the supply line, and "poof", all gone.

Steve S
Steve,
That had to be quite the surprise! :o
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225