Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Streamwelder
    Thu Mar 30, 2017 9:57 am

Time to re-cert on D17.1, not a very big deal except for the thorn in all aero welder's side (aluminum T). My question to those who have experience with it is, Can I fit the joint open root? The T joint diagrams in D17.1 show the joint having a gap in it. Although I can't find any dimensions on what size gap is acceptable, but at the same time can't find anything saying it has to be closed root. Also I can't find any accept/reject dimensions on melt-thru or push-thru. Thanks in advance for any and all input.

That is interesting, when I took this test it was to MIL-STD 1595, many years ago, I don't think we had that option. You just need penetration to the root, right? We had Miller Syncrowave 300, used zirconium tungsten and put the pedal to it.
Richard
Website
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Streamwelder wrote:Time to re-cert on D17.1...
If it's a re-cert, I'm curious why you don't already know.

Steve S
Streamwelder

Just trying to find other options instead of fighting the root fusion. I've never tried it with an open root, just wondering if anyone else had.
Streamwelder

That's right Badd, that's the rough part .040-.050 6061 with pretty much 100% root fusion. We're allowed .1 x's the leg size or less of incomplete fusion at the root.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

I'll have to dig. Jody did a video specifically on this in the past few months. I think he discusses acceptance criteria. I don't recall him mentioning a root gap, though. The test should have a WPS supported by a PQR, with all the pertinent specs. To test you with a drawing alone is setting you up for trouble.

[Edit] Here it is on youtube:

http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/alu ... t-d17.html
Read the written blurb below the video before you hit "play".

Steve S