Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
sambo1985
    Tue Feb 14, 2017 7:35 pm

Hello everyone I know jody use to talk a lot of about CK torches an promote them. I have seen all the funky angle ones he has. But haven't heard he mentions CK or any other good brands. Is there a brand of tig torches out there now that are just kick butt and great quality. Just want to make sure I explore my options.
Rick_H
    Sat Feb 08, 2014 1:50 pm

I would personally say CK is the industry leader with torches, most after market accessories are based off their units. the Weldcraft torches are also a decent torch, but the water cooling is not near the same surface area of the CK. I use their aircooled torch daily. Weldcraft is now owned by Miller.
I weld stainless, stainless and more stainless...Food Industry, sanitary process piping, vessels, whatever is needed, I like to make stuff.
ASME IX, AWS 17.1, D1.1
Instagram #RNHFAB
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Rick_H wrote:I would personally say CK is the industry leader with torches, most after market accessories are based off their units. the Weldcraft torches are also a decent torch, but the water cooling is not near the same surface area of the CK. I use their aircooled torch daily. Weldcraft is now owned by Miller.
Long time-no see stranger! How you been?
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

sambo1985 wrote:Hello everyone I know jody use to talk a lot of about CK torches an promote them. I have seen all the funky angle ones he has. But haven't heard he mentions CK or any other good brands. Is there a brand of tig torches out there now that are just kick butt and great quality. Just want to make sure I explore my options.
Take a look at these, I've never used one, but have heard good things. Although I couldn't find the duty cycle on their website, still if you want to consider options maybe give them a call. I personally have a water cooled CK, it has a 100% duty cycle on AC and DC, you can't go wrong owning a CK torch.
Richard
Website
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Richard, I was signed up (via member southpaw) to "Beta-test" that i-torch flex-loc clone, but I never received it. Damn shame, as I'd have given it a real workout.

Steve S
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Richard, I was signed up (via member southpaw) to "Beta-test" that i-torch flex-loc clone, but I never received it. Damn shame, as I'd have given it a real workout.

Steve S
I gave all the info for them to send out demos. Just checked, 1-2 more months. Some improved machining and cable changes along with more models.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk
BigD
    Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:56 pm

LtBadd wrote:
sambo1985 wrote:Hello everyone I know jody use to talk a lot of about CK torches an promote them. I have seen all the funky angle ones he has. But haven't heard he mentions CK or any other good brands. Is there a brand of tig torches out there now that are just kick butt and great quality. Just want to make sure I explore my options.
Take a look at these, I've never used one, but have heard good things. Although I couldn't find the duty cycle on their website, still if you want to consider options maybe give them a call. I personally have a water cooled CK, it has a 100% duty cycle on AC and DC, you can't go wrong owning a CK torch.
TEC Torch/Weldtec make great torches, they're very comparable to CK. I have played around with them at PRI. I don't have any of their torches personally but I do have their megaflo gas lens for titanium and stainless and I love it, I think they're much better made diffusers than the Furick stuff (which is nice but much more homebrew). They're properly designed to route the gas from the threaded fitting to the diffuser disc, not just a cup with a screen that piggybacks on a gas lens.

I personally switched from Weldcraft to CK because I think they're just as well built if not better and I absolutely adore their flex hose. I use the watercooled CK225SF and previously used their aircooled microtorch (only sold it so I could get a watercooled one later if I need one again). In short, I'm a CK bandwagon rider for sure.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

BigD wrote:
LtBadd wrote:
TEC Torch/Weldtec make great torches, they're very comparable to CK. I have played around with them at PRI. I don't have any of their torches personally but I do have their megaflo gas lens for titanium and stainless and I love it, I think they're much better made diffusers than the Furick stuff (which is nice but much more homebrew). They're properly designed to route the gas from the threaded fitting to the diffuser disc, not just a cup with a screen that piggybacks on a gas lens.

I personally switched from Weldcraft to CK because I think they're just as well built if not better and I absolutely adore their flex hose. I use the watercooled CK225SF and previously used their aircooled microtorch (only sold it so I could get a watercooled one later if I need one again). In short, I'm a CK bandwagon rider for sure.
Can you tell me where you got the megaflo gas lens? I've sent emails to some vendors and including the one where I got my i-head rotohead but I have yet to receive a answer.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

soutthpaw wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:Richard, I was signed up (via member southpaw) to "Beta-test" that i-torch flex-loc clone, but I never received it. Damn shame, as I'd have given it a real workout.

Steve S
I gave all the info for them to send out demos. Just checked, 1-2 more months. Some improved machining and cable changes along with more models.

Thanks for the update. I had come to the conclusion they had enough requests that it was a lottery as to who got one.

Steve S
soutthpaw
    Thu Sep 18, 2014 12:14 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:
soutthpaw wrote:

Steve S

Thanks for the update. I had come to the conclusion they had enough requests that it was a lottery as to who got one.

Steve S
Nope, everyone on the list I sent them is supposed to get one.

BigD
    Thu Jan 07, 2016 1:56 pm

Oscar wrote:Can you tell me where you got the megaflo gas lens? I've sent emails to some vendors and including the one where I got my i-head rotohead but I have yet to receive a answer.
Took some detective work but I realized I never got the megaflo... I got the CK version. I also gave up looking for the TEC product but CK makes the same thing, this is what I got:

https://www.amazon.com/CK-D2GS332LD-Sav ... B00I4YZ8WY

Yea I have that one.
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

Sorry if this is a hijack, just dis regard in that case...

What is the advantage of that huge cup? I guess it would be for SS or Titanium but would there be an Aluminum advantage? Would you end up using more gas than a traditional lens?

If it were to allow more stick out and greater visibility that might be worth the cost and extra gas possibly?
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.

Jakedaawg wrote:Sorry if this is a hijack, just dis regard in that case...

What is the advantage of that huge cup? I guess it would be for SS or Titanium but would there be an Aluminum advantage? Would you end up using more gas than a traditional lens?

If it were to allow more stick out and greater visibility that might be worth the cost and extra gas possibly?
Yes. :)

Jakedaawg wrote:Sorry if this is a hijack, just dis regard in that case...

Well, I wouldn't use it for everyday TIG welding, Titanium absolutely, stainless maybe, if you're doing code work or aesthetics are important, need a long stick out... I haven't used this particular lens, although CK makes a large gas lens for their 2 series torch which I have used quite a lot.
Richard
Website