Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

MinnesotaDave wrote:
Olivero wrote:I don't even worry about the feeding, If your welding more than an inch to 3 inches at a time, your gonna warp the shit out of whatever your doing.

Get into aluminum and its even worse, I can make 2 plate butt welds look like a flying bird just by welding it.
Sometimes yes, sometimes no - on larger, longer pieces (steel and aluminum) it's not unusual for me to use the whole rod on one pass.

When I teach welding, I make them practice feeding rod from day 1 - doesn't take them long to get the hang of it.
Most of us hit the duty cycle on our machines or overheat the torch llloooonnnggg before we run out of rod but feeding rod for aluminum is useful as it eats up filler more than anything else. I can feed pretty decently nowadays but don't really do the kind of work that requires long welds.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

I never seen anything that requires looooong welds, maybe for pretty welds but as long as you can tie in and all that, I never run mine for too long. Like nail said, gets too darn hot :D

But hey, we all weld differently not a thing wrong with being able to feed rod. I just wouldn't worry about it when learning to TIG, as I go, sure why not practice it but I worry about so many other things when I weld, making sure its watertight, looking good and penetrating, rod just kind of finds its way.

Maybe I am just feeding it without noticing and I have learned it without thinking about it :o

Ill be darned. I will have to pay attention to that next time.
if there's a welder, there's a way
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

I started practicing, with both hands, as instructed. If it's an unnecessary skill, it won't be the first one I've picked up.
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Chips O'Toole wrote:I started practicing, with both hands, as instructed. If it's an unnecessary skill, it won't be the first one I've picked up.
Not a useless skill...just depends on what you want to weld. If you are doing a bunch of smaller prices then not critical. If you are doing positioned work on larger diameter peices, then yes feeding rod is important. But you can get a lot out of your filler. Today I was running some horizontal stringers on aluminum about 7 inches long. Propped my filler hand and just dabbed along and never fed any through my hand. And besides you should learn to get good at starts and stops. I do it all the time on practice pads. Run out of filler and start to bake my hands-back off-add a little filler and stop-readjust and restart. Gives its own practice.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Farmwelding wrote: Not a useless skill...just depends on what you want to weld. If you are doing a bunch of smaller prices then not critical. If you are doing positioned work on larger diameter peices, then yes feeding rod is important. But you can get a lot out of your filler. Today I was running some horizontal stringers on aluminum about 7 inches long. Propped my filler hand and just dabbed along and never fed any through my hand. And besides you should learn to get good at starts and stops. I do it all the time on practice pads. Run out of filler and start to bake my hands-back off-add a little filler and stop-readjust and restart. Gives its own practice.
When you start building things for money - do you really think you'll want to "practice starts and stops"?

Also, will every joint only require just the exact amount of filler that little dabs is all you'll need? Try that with 1/4" aluminum joints.
Last edited by MinnesotaDave on Wed Apr 05, 2017 7:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
dirtmidget33
    Tue May 13, 2014 5:22 pm

Feeding rod is an important thing to learn. Even when building up or fixing cracks on case repairs, made from aluminium and magnesium, where it's in small area I have to feed rod. It's not a long run, but small local area. Also different joint configurations on tubing have you have to push rod in puddle sometimes so you need to feed rod. Feeding rod is important thing to practice and learn.
why use standard nozzles after gas lens where invented. Kinda of like starting fires by rubbing sticks together.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Chips O'Toole wrote:I started practicing, with both hands, as instructed. If it's an unnecessary skill, it won't be the first one I've picked up.
Feeding rod is a great skill to have and very necessary so if you can pick it up it's going to benefit you in the long run. Just as important is your torch hand. You have to learn how to keep it in a good position to do long runs. It helps to have a prop stand to slide your hand on or you have to do whatever you need to do, such as clamping a piece of angle onto your work and things like that to be able to stay in position. There is no shame in stopping and re-starting either. Our main goal is usually that beautiful stacked dimes look, and that is essential in alot of areas but just as important is a correct weld. Sometimes you can't make them all pretty. I look at welds on every day things and alot of them look like drunk monkeys did them so sometimes just hot gluing parts together is good enough for some applications. Look at the pictures Lt Badd posted of the welds on one of the space shuttle engines. Not impressive but obviously passed all the tests.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

exnailpounder wrote: Look at the pictures Lt Badd posted of the welds on one of the space shuttle engines. Not impressive but obviously passed all the tests.
Just to be clear for those who might be new or missed that thread, those weren't welds I made, although I'd be proud of them, but pics I took while at Kennedy Space center, Steve (Otto) also posted the same pics.
Richard
Website