Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
bosulli
    Tue Apr 05, 2016 9:40 am

Was having a hell of a time tacking up an aluminum welding cart, and decided to pull out a piece of scrap and put down some beads to see what the deal was. I realized the AL oxide on the rods was not breaking down. Looked like squeezing sausage out of its casing. When I did get rid of the terds, and got a bead going, I could see the black containments streaming into the puddle from the rod. I rubbed the rods down with a scotch brite pad, and wiped down with acetone. Turned up the AC balance. Then tried sandpaper. The oxide would not break up under the arc. I learned AL TIG from Jody's videos, and some others too, but never seen anyone do more then rub down with a scotch bright pad and wipe down with acetone. I keep the my rods in capped PVC tubes. They range from 6 months to year. Anybody got any tips or tricks on how to deal with oxide on rods???
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

You won't need to do any more than you've already done. If you have oxygen entering the shielding gas stream, you might get black soot like you're describing. Are you sure you're not turning the AC balance the wrong way and accidentally dialing in less cleaning action?
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Wow... We've got aluminum filler that sat in a humid shop for two or three years and I don't even think to wipe it. Never had an issue. Like the above said-turning the balance the right way? Our machine has auto set on balance so I guess I can't give much advice on what to set it on.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
Mihtu
    Sun Feb 12, 2017 11:01 am

Sounds like your doing your part with the rods,look at other issues,gas,electrode etc,go up or down with the argo see if it makes a difference, but as mentioned you seem to be on the right track,just look a little deeper,also what brand rod,I have bought some crap in the past,only buy Harris now,pretty good results! Good luck
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

bosulli wrote:Was having a hell of a time tacking up an aluminum welding cart, and decided to pull out a piece of scrap and put down some beads to see what the deal was. I realized the AL oxide on the rods was not breaking down. Looked like squeezing sausage out of its casing. When I did get rid of the terds, and got a bead going, I could see the black containments streaming into the puddle from the rod. I rubbed the rods down with a scotch brite pad, and wiped down with acetone. Turned up the AC balance. Then tried sandpaper. The oxide would not break up under the arc. I learned AL TIG from Jody's videos, and some others too, but never seen anyone do more then rub down with a scotch bright pad and wipe down with acetone. I keep the my rods in capped PVC tubes. They range from 6 months to year. Anybody got any tips or tricks on how to deal with oxide on rods???
Once you try a new rod and verify that's the problem, throw those away - not worth your time and energy to clean them hoping for the best.

In my opinion of course.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Farmwelding wrote:Wow... We've got aluminum filler that sat in a humid shop for two or three years and I don't even think to wipe it. Never had an issue. Like the above said-turning the balance the right way? Our machine has auto set on balance so I guess I can't give much advice on what to set it on.
I have a pound of 4043 that I bought from a retired boilermaker that is every bit of 20 years old and they weld better than some brand new stuff I got from the LWS. I can only assume it's because they were probably made here instead of china. My machine has auto set balance too but I run it a little bit into the penetration side and the welds always come out nice and shiny with no sand. Don't be afraid to experiment.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Farmwelding

exnailpounder wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:Wow... We've got aluminum filler that sat in a humid shop for two or three years and I don't even think to wipe it. Never had an issue. Like the above said-turning the balance the right way? Our machine has auto set on balance so I guess I can't give much advice on what to set it on.
I have a pound of 4043 that I bought from a retired boilermaker that is every bit of 20 years old and they weld better than some brand new stuff I got from the LWS. I can only assume it's because they were probably made here instead of china. My machine has auto set balance too but I run it a little bit into the penetration side and the welds always come out nice and shiny with no sand. Don't be afraid to experiment.
If only I could experiment! :lol:

It's my schools diversion 180 in which the only thing I touch is the AC/DC switch because I now just leave it set to 180 amps and learn to use the foot pedal. Other than that... Nope that's it. Beleive me. It's probably for the better we don't have a dynasty or even a 200 square wave. I'd be in the shop all the time playing with aluminum and all the settings. I'm already in there at least 2 hours everyday and some days more. Whenever I'm not busy in another class or have a study hall I pretty much go there and practice or helps one students in their projects or welding. I figure I'll be the 5th grader helping a kindergartner now and help them be a third grader maybe by the time they are done. They have I think 9 days to learn the units. Machining and welding and like 25 students and one teacher and one student helper, and sometimes I'll float and now I am teaching tig welding because I have more experience and knowledge then my teacher... Because of Jody and this forum. No fault to him. He's a far better machinist then I and he can teach mig and stick pretty well, but like we always say it's all about hood time. I've probably added about 100 hours of aluminum tig these last few months in school. Well... Didn't mean to rant so sorry but yeah try some new rods and see how that works
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

I would far more suspect the pieces you are welding than the rod. Especially if the material is not terribly clean on both sides and edges. Also, the angle at which you are introducing the rod to the puddle can effect it. Too slow and allowing the rod to "melt back" because you're not under the arc and you'll get heaps of pepper in your welds. Jam the rod to the puddle and get on with it.
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

If it's AlcoTec rod just throw it away. It should all disappear. I hate it.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

GreinTime wrote:If it's AlcoTec rod just throw it away. It should all disappear. I hate it.

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
Agreed. I have 3rd degree burn scars from trying to use that crap overhead.

Steve S
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

exnailpounder wrote: I have a pound of 4043 that I bought from a retired boilermaker that is every bit of 20 years old and they weld better than some brand new stuff I got from the LWS. I can only assume it's because they were probably made here instead of china. My machine has auto set balance too but I run it a little bit into the penetration side and the welds always come out nice and shiny with no sand. Don't be afraid to experiment.
I reminisce about the days when any problems I had welding could always be attributed to operator trouble........... :(
bosulli

Think cj737 was right. It was just me having a bad day. Some days I am pro, then some days I suck, and its very frustrating.

If it was easy, anybody could do it.
Farmwelding

bosulli wrote:Think cj737 was right. It was just me having a bad day. Some days I am pro, then some days I suck, and its very frustrating.

If it was easy, anybody could do it.
Yep... That's why some people are doctors, lawyers, school teachers, and pipe fitters :lol:

Just kidding. I see those jokes and think about this forum and think- that's my true. We have math teachers, probably a doctor or two, maybe a docile, and probably a lawyer. It's impressive. It's also nice that a hobby like welding can also be a career that makes you a lot of cash as well. I would say welding is the most versatile field of interest. You learn a lot and know a lot and have a better set of skills.
Nick

Hell, my eye doctor is an accomplished welder.

The welding virus, like the Flu, does not discriminate by class, race, gender, age, etc.

Steve S
exnailpounder

Otto Nobedder wrote:Hell, my eye doctor is an accomplished welder.

The welding virus, like the Flu, does not discriminate by class, race, gender, age, etc.

Steve S
I can weld circles around my boilermaker/welder friend. WTF Universe are we living in?
Farmwelding

exnailpounder wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:Hell, my eye doctor is an accomplished welder.

Steve S
I can weld circles around my boilermaker/welder friend. WTF Universe are we living in?
If your buddy is welding boilers and piping, and is worse than you then I hope you are really damn good. :lol:
Nick
exnailpounder

I am damned good but he only welds pipe. I almost suck at pipe because I don't weld it. I do the thnigs he doesn't. Doesn't make me better than him we do different things and I don't have some suckass inspector hanging around my neck...Oh wait..I'm married so I take that back...thank God she knows shit about welding :lol:
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

exnailpounder wrote:Ithank God she knows shit about welding :lol:
:lol:

I tried explaining it to my wife, never worked out :lol:
if there's a welder, there's a way

[I made my last "contribution" to that conversation go away. It was over the top, even for my twisted sense of humor, and something I might not approve of if I'd seen someone else post it.]

Steve S

And, yes, Farmwelding, my mind can be a scary place... :lol:
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:[I made my last "contribution" to that conversation go away. It was over the top, even for my twisted sense of humor, and something I might not approve of if I'd seen someone else post it.]

Steve S

And, yes, Farmwelding, my mind can be a scary place... :lol:
I have done that before. Then quickly edited and wonder who or how many people may have seen it in the 30 seconds it was live. My brain can be a scary place too. :lol:
Fly
  • Fly
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:07 am

NEVER use sand paper to clean Aluminum. Scotch pads & acetone work best for me.

Fly :D
bosulli

Fly wrote:NEVER use sand paper to clean Aluminum. Scotch pads & acetone work best for me.

Fly :D
Good advice and thanks.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

So what became of this? All this talk.... :lol:
exnailpounder

Oscar wrote:So what became of this? All this talk.... :lol:
The only thing I got was don't use sand paper to clean filler...the rest was just a meander through the minds :lol:

exnailpounder wrote:The only thing I got was don't use sand paper to clean filler...the rest was just a meander through the minds :lol:
And that was scary and somehow funny, all mixed together :lol:
Richard
Website