Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:13 pm

Sorry you are having so many problems. Unfortunately, this is the name of the game with these extremely cheap, in many ways, gas lens kits. I quit using them all together. Spend the extra few dollars, and that is really all it is, on a quality name brand gas lens and you won't have these problems. Lesson learned for sure.

Also, one problem I ran into working on my Unbreakable TIG Cup™ was if the cup i.d. (at the exit) was larger than the gas lens itself your coverage is extremely poor. To use a larger cup than the gas lens you must have a secondary diffuser, as you see with all the large cups out there. If you wanted to make these cups work, and assuming the gas lens' themselves are "good" simply add a second diffuser and your coverage should improve.

Honestly though, we talked about this very problem in a podcast episode (don't remember which one) how these cheap kits just don't seem to work. Sure, one out of 100 might be fine but I feel you should learn on a regular collet body setup and when you master that move on to the more "exotic" stuff. Once you start to add all these variables in your learning you can quickly get frustrated and not know where to look for the problem. My opinion.
Jonathan
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Superiorwelding wrote:Also, one problem I ran into working on my Unbreakable TIG Cup™ was if the cup i.d. (at the exit) was larger than the gas lens itself your coverage is extremely poor. To use a larger cup than the gas lens you must have a secondary diffuser, as you see with all the large cups out there. If you wanted to make these cups work, and assuming the gas lens' themselves are "good" simply add a second diffuser and your coverage should improve.
Jonathan
I agree 100%.

OP, if you notice, most "standard" gas lens, meaning medium-large that use regular pink alumina cups, all "stop" the cup size when the cup exit is the same size as the screen mesh (and even then, they still have a slight taper).

For example, if you are using a medium gas lens collet body on a 17/26 torch, I doubt you'll find many, if any at all, alumina cups that are larger than a #8. If you want an alumina cup larger than #8, you typically have to switch to a large diameter gas lens collet body.

If you are using a large diameter gas lens collet body, the largest you'll typically find is #12. If you look at the mesh screen on a large dia. gas lens collet body, turns out the mesh screen is about, yup you guessed it, 3/4"---the same size as the #12 cup exit orifice. The exception is the #15 cup. It doesn't really look like a cup, more like a thread on protector----it just covers the collet body and does not aid with maintaining laminar gas flow. I have one, and while it worked, the gas covered just wasn't what I felt "it should be" for that large of a "cup".

IMO, it's the same reason, the Furick FUPA cups have the mesh screen/diffuser in the first place----the tiny mesh on the gas lens collet body that it installs onto is simply not going to produce the laminar gas flow that is needed for good coverage.

I'd like to test my hypothesis with your gas lens, if you'd like. I still have some mesh screen left over from my experimentation, I can punch out some screens for you to try out. Just let me know what size tungstens you are using.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

Oscar the philanthropist, this really is a great forum!!!!!
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
FireKracker50
    Tue Dec 27, 2016 2:00 am

I have from .040 up to 1/8th tungsten and gas lenses for this kit.
I have been using the 3/32" size thus far. I would like to know if a diffuser would remedy my troubles.
I am always experimenting with different things. I love to tinker.
I am an engineer by trade, angler by heart, and welder hobbyist.
I mainly learned to weld just to work on outboard motors as i enjoy building racing outboards. And because i break allot of stuff.

FireKracker50 wrote:I have from .040 up to 1/8th tungsten and gas lenses for this kit.
I have been using the 3/32" size thus far. I would like to know if a diffuser would remedy my troubles.
I am always experimenting with different things. I love to tinker.
I am an engineer by trade, angler by heart, and welder hobbyist.
I mainly learned to weld just to work on outboard motors as i enjoy building racing outboards. And because i break allot of stuff.
Great. Please take your favorite dial calipers and measure the ID of that clear nozzle, and I'll look for my mesh and punch out some screens maybe on Sunday or Monday. I'm not a philanthropist, I just like to make people aware that "I was right", LOL. And if I'm not, I just disappear for a good while so no one remembers, LOL. :lol:
FireKracker50

LOL
Sounds like a plan.
I will get those measurements for you.
I am ordering a flow meter to measure flow coming off the nozzle.
I have seen those videos where it looks like a fog machine coming out of the torch nozzle so you can see the improved flow from the gas lens. Is there a product i can pump thru my torch (safely) to create videos like this to post up on the forum showing the different flow profiles from out testing?

FireKracker50 wrote:LOL
Sounds like a plan.
I will get those measurements for you.
I am ordering a flow meter to measure flow coming off the nozzle.
I have seen those videos where it looks like a fog machine coming out of the torch nozzle so you can see the improved flow from the gas lens. Is there a product i can pump thru my torch (safely) to create videos like this to post up on the forum showing the different flow profiles from out testing?
I would advise against that so you don't inadvertently coat the entire inside of your gas line with crud that will otherwise contaminate an inert welding shielding gas the next time you use it.
Poleframer
    Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:47 am

On a different take on gas lenses...
I was given a tig setup, and the torch is a water cooled TEC model 429. Still available, and much smaller than any I see around, for a 250 amp torch. Gas nozzles as shown here are available, as well as quartz lenses.
The setup is very compact, as the lens or cup just fits into the rubber of the torch.
Wonder why these torches arent talked about on any sites I've been on.
I have alumina cups from #4 to #8, but no quartz clear lenses yet. Nice gift I think.

Oops, 300 amps...http://www.tectorch.com/PDF/Parts%20She ... _sheet.pdf
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

Poleframer wrote: Wonder why these torches arent talked about on any sites I've been on.
Tec makes Weldtec, that's the name most popular now. I think Tec is the name of their original torches? I know the welders where I worked were using them back in the 70s, so I think it's an old company. Jody did an article on how small their water cooled torches are, he really liked them.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
Poleframer
    Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:47 am

Good point, I think the speedway line is an updated version of the 428-429 models that TEC has made for many years. I got it new in box, unused, and some curious stuff that must have laid in storage for many years. I replied to a UV thread about the smith torch saver, a similar valve that was in there was marked helium and water, so it was probably from the "heliarc" era.
Sort of a little time vault of tig gear, I do find it interesting that weldfabulous still sells the same torch, and all the parts.
Wonder if Jody used these torches in the past. He mentions that he likes small torches, and these sure fit the bill there.
Most of the stuff is top quality, it included a victor hvts regulator and flowmeter (price THAT new https://www.airgas.com/product/Gas-Equi ... C0781-3772) but the diaphrams were dry rotted, cost less to replace the diaphrams than the gas I lost finding it out.

Juni_1976
    Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:12 am

Ck worldwide has nice set they are kits by tungsten size #8 cup .040 - 1/8" run about $32 ea. That the best reputable product I found for the price. They also have a mixed set with alumina and glass cups from size 6 through 18 for about $200
FireKracker50

I completely forgot to get a measurement of that pyrex cup...
I did get some alumina cups in for my small gas lenses.
It does seem better than the #10 pyrex cup. I think the pyrex being larger than the gas lens was part of the problem.
But i still feel like a regular collet body and #6 cup welds better than the little stubby gas lens and #6 cup.
I took some pics i will post later.
Also i got a flow meter that you put on the end of your torch to measure your argon flow at the torch.
With my flow regulator set half way between 15cfh and 20cfh I have about 11cfh as measured coming from the torch. Is this normal?
I was concerned that the gas lens wasn't putting out the right amount of gas but it measures exactly the same as the standard collet body. I tried 2 collet bodies and 2 gas lenses and they all measured 11cfh.

FireKracker50 wrote:I completely forgot to get a measurement of that pyrex cup...
I did get some alumina cups in for my small gas lenses.
It does seem better than the #10 pyrex cup. I think the pyrex being larger than the gas lens was part of the problem.
But i still feel like a regular collet body and #6 cup welds better than the little stubby gas lens and #6 cup.
I took some pics i will post later.
Also i got a flow meter that you put on the end of your torch to measure your argon flow at the torch.
With my flow regulator set half way between 15cfh and 20cfh I have about 11cfh as measured coming from the torch. Is this normal?
I was concerned that the gas lens wasn't putting out the right amount of gas but it measures exactly the same as the standard collet body. I tried 2 collet bodies and 2 gas lenses and they all measured 11cfh.
That simply means that your regulator is "off". Time to invest in another one.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Or just replace the gauges they go bad sometimes. The ones on my refrigerant gauges I replace about once a year when they start to read a little off.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
FireKracker50

Both the regulator and flow meter are new. I have used one 125cf argon tank take thru it.
Its the regulator that came with my Everlast 256SI.
Also when i first press the pedal i get a huge puff the blasts way up on the meter and pegs the ball against the stop pin. IT stays there for about 1sec maybe closer to two sec then drops down to its regular flow rate. i have the preflow on my machine set to about 1 sec maybe a little more because if i dont the gas will make the startup arc go crazy. Is there anything that can be done about this? seems like it wastes allot of gas.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Some regulators are adjustable for there pressure. Or you can buy different ones. Some give you 15cfm at 20 psi some give you 15 cfm at 50psi. You can get by with lower psi if you have short argon lines. I.e. Less than 100ft. If you are farther away from your tank than that then you need higher psi to overcome the friction of the gas traveling through the line, so that you get the same cfm.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
chillrich1
    Thu Apr 13, 2017 1:08 am

I am having same problem with this set. Narrowed it down a bit though, only happens with "pyrex" cup. pink cup welds perfect. Therefore it must be o-ring related.

chillrich1 wrote:I am having same problem with this set. Narrowed it down a bit though, only happens with "pyrex" cup. pink cup welds perfect. Therefore it must be o-ring related.
Have you verified the condition of the collet/collet body and the metal mesh diffuser?
chillrich1

Only part I swap out is the glass cup for a thread on alumina cup and it works perfect. Has to be a problem with o-rings.
chillrich1

Got it working, had to jam 2 green o-rings up near the insulator and then tighten gas lens with cup installed. Seems ok now.
    Sat Aug 01, 2015 8:38 am

Interesting thread.

For what it's worth, I've been Tig welding almost 2 years now (steel, stainless, aluminium) and until recently I'd never used a gas lens that was anything but 'fine China'. ;) My LWS doesn't even know what a gas lens is and with exchange rates and freight, the US/Europe brand name stuff is way too salty for a hobbyist like me.

(The Australian Peso is currently worth only about three quarters of a Freedom Dollar.)

Perhaps I've just been lucky, but I've never had a problem with what I've used thus far. I have various sized China gas lens setups for my #9 and #17 torches and it all works well. I recently purchased a Furick 14 cup and while it works a treat when I need mega coverage and long stickout, most of the time I use a China stubby rig on my #17 with a size 7 or 8 cup and it's sweet.

I must be due to run out of luck any time now, I guess.

K
oki270
    Sun Dec 25, 2016 8:04 am

chillrich1 wrote:Got it working, had to jam 2 green o-rings up near the insulator and then tighten gas lens with cup installed. Seems ok now.
I have the same one. Will definitely try it this way. How many CFS did you use with it?
chillrich1

Same as alumina cup ~15CFH
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

chillrich1 wrote:Got it working, had to jam 2 green o-rings up near the insulator and then tighten gas lens with cup installed. Seems ok now.
I know it's convenient to have one gas lens that accepts threaded cups or orings, but threads aren't designed to seal an oring. It's good you got it working, but if you really want to use pyrex a lot, I'd try to find a set of lenses that are made with a an oring groove instead of threads, and just use this set for threaded alumina cups.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch