Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Juni_1976
    Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:12 am

Morning all, I have some questions about my discoloration in my silicon bronze on mild steel. My pattern is fine and my welds are solid but the color is nasty, but only sometimes regardless of prep and cleaning of parts material and filler. I have pics , not sure how to post them.
Attachments
IMG_20170331_141102_849.jpg
IMG_20170331_141102_849.jpg (63.57 KiB) Viewed 1080 times
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Juni...I have played with SilBr quite a bit and in my experience, the bad color comes from including your base metal into your braze and gas coverage and how clean your metal is. Brazing is a fine balancing act of heating the base just enough to melt the filler and not the base. Jody has a couple of videos about tig brazing. I am not sure but I think he made some piggy banks and used SBr for color but I want to say he used AC current to get really nice color. I have never tried AC on Sbr. Aluminum bronze on AC turns out really nice color.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Juni_1976
    Wed Apr 05, 2017 11:12 am

Thanks a lot, I never used ac on metal. What about pulse? Do that help at all?
exnailpounder

Juni_1976 wrote:Thanks a lot, I never used ac on metal. What about pulse? Do that help at all?
I couldn't speak about that as I have never tried it. There isn't a whole lot of conversation about tig brazing as it's generally considered an artistic form of joining metal and not really a legitimate form of joining metal so trial and error might be your best bet. SilBr and AlBr is used alot in cast iron repair and for joining dis-similar metals. In the real world...there isn't much use for joining dis-similar metals other than the artistic aspect but I have used SilBr to fix broken gear teeth on cast iron pieces and that is an accepted use for it. Six of one and a half dozen of the other :lol: I know I wasn't much help but I tried :lol:
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

SiBronze has more structural applications than you may realize. One European car maker brazes the entire chassis of one of their performance cars (I forget who), it's been common practice for years in custom motorcycles, and Zank (Mike Zanconato) can speak to it's frequent use in custom bicycles.

If the joint is properly designed and executed, it can have desirable properties for fatigue stress and crash-worthiness.

Steve S
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:SiBronze has more structural applications than you may realize. One European car maker brazes the entire chassis of one of their performance cars (I forget who), it's been common practice for years in custom motorcycles, and Zank (Mike Zanconato) can speak to it's frequent use in custom bicycles.

If the joint is properly designed and executed, it can have desirable properties for fatigue stress and crash-worthiness.

Steve S
That makes sense-probably reduces war page to since your putting a lot less heat in general so no bearing on your Fran trying to get it square
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Farmwelding wrote: That makes sense-probably reduces war page to since your putting a lot less heat in general so no bearing on your Fran trying to get it square
Good lord, pre-read a little before posting...hard to take a guy seriously like that... ;)

"war page to" - "no bearing on your Fran"

"your" instead of "you're"
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:
Farmwelding wrote: That makes sense-probably reduces war page to since your putting a lot less heat in general so no bearing on your Fran trying to get it square
Good lord, pre-read a little before posting...hard to take a guy seriously like that... ;)

His signature line contains a disclaimer...

Otto Nobedder wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote:

His signature line contains a disclaimer...
I've seen it - doesn't mean he shouldn't read what he tells the machine :D
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
exnailpounder

MinnesotaDave wrote:

:lol: :lol: Every see one of todays kid's hand writing? My oldest son is 28 and doesn't know how to hold a friggin pen. "they don't teach cursive anymore dad" SMH

exnailpounder wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote:

:lol: :lol: Every see one of todays kid's hand writing? My oldest son is 28 and doesn't know how to hold a friggin pen. "they don't teach cursive anymore dad" SMH
They learn to "write" with their thumbs...... 8-) :P
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Huh, I'm 17 and learned cursive. I don't remember it since we never continued it. They got rid of it here about 5 years ago
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
DennisCA
    Mon Aug 15, 2016 12:58 am

TIG brazing seems very useful, if you got cracked cast iron or aluminum part for instance, and no AC capability (like me), that's a part that could be TIG brazed for instance.
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Tig braze aluminum on DC ? what ? did I miss the memo ?
exnailpounder

noddybrian wrote:Tig braze aluminum on DC ? what ? did I miss the memo ?
:lol: you didn't miss the memo..