Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Graveyard
    Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:31 am

So I have a Speedglas 9100X that I've had for about 8 years. Great helmet has never given me any issues till today. So I picked up an Everlast 140ST today just for little things and to have friends help out with tiny projects and to teach them to weld a little. My main unit is my miller syncrowave 210. So on to the issue. Just hooked everything up on the everlast to play with it and my 9100X helmet won't darken. Thought maybe the batteries finally kicked the bucket so I changed them and still have the issue. Turn on the syncrowave and start welding with it and it darkens right up no problem. I've used this helmet from everything from miller, Lincoln, Esab, and some Chinese junk welders and haven't had this issue till this everlast. Any ideas? I do have a cheap autodarkening that seems to work fine with it but not my speedglas. For all the old schoolers out there I still have and use the tried and true solid lense helmet too but I prefer my speedglas. Thanks for any input.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Does your 9100 have sensitivity control? Perhaps the arc is not bright enough on 110v to trip your sensor if you're set up to weld on 220v with the S/W? Seems an odd issue, but throwing ideas out there-
Graveyard

Yeah I thought the same thing so I adjusted the sensitivity all the way down as well as the delay. Still have the issue. I appreciate the input though. The batteries I had were new batteries but they've been in my bag a few years so I'm going to get some new ones today and see what that does.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Graveyard wrote:So I have a Speedglas 9100X that I've had for about 8 years. Great helmet has never given me any issues till today. So I picked up an Everlast 140ST today just for little things and to have friends help out with tiny projects and to teach them to weld a little. My main unit is my miller syncrowave 210. So on to the issue. Just hooked everything up on the everlast to play with it and my 9100X helmet won't darken. Thought maybe the batteries finally kicked the bucket so I changed them and still have the issue. Turn on the syncrowave and start welding with it and it darkens right up no problem. I've used this helmet from everything from miller, Lincoln, Esab, and some Chinese junk welders and haven't had this issue till this everlast. Any ideas? I do have a cheap autodarkening that seems to work fine with it but not my speedglas. For all the old schoolers out there I still have and use the tried and true solid lense helmet too but I prefer my speedglas. Thanks for any input.
Just a heads up on your Syncrowave...You can now download Miller's upgrades for the 210 for free. What was once an expensive upgrade is free now. Go to their website and you'll find it if you haven't already. No help with the hood. I do know that when the batteries on my Viking started to go bad I had issues with the AD. Swapped 'em out and works like new.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Graveyard

Thanks! I did not know that. I'll have to check that out and do that. My syncrowave was the one right before they added the spool feature. Kinda pissed if I'd have waited for 4 months I could have bought the upgraded version. As for the helmet I picked up some new batteries this morning so hopefully when I get home later i can test it.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Use
Max sensitivity
Max delay
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
Graveyard

rick9345 wrote:Use
Max sensitivity
Max delay
I've tried them all, got fresh batteries and I'm going to check the terminals for corrosion when I get to the shop.
Graveyard

Little update. Threw some new batteries in and helmet is working like it always has! Perfect! Thanks for the tips!