Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

Everyone here is so helpful.
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Have a drink there fellers...it's all good. Just a little ball-bustin. electrodes a good dude...don't think he meant any harm...he eats with his hands and wipes with burlap so he's a little rough around the edges...nyuck nyuck nyuck.
Last edited by exnailpounder on Tue Apr 11, 2017 5:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder

Chips O'Toole wrote:Everyone here is so helpful.
Come on Chips...we help new guys all the time. That's the best thing about this site is Steve doesn't allow any egos. We all know new guys need help and usually everyone bends over backwards to help out. I think there was a communication breakdown here somewhere.

You mean he's not really going to make the video?
exnailpounder

Chips O'Toole wrote:You mean he's not really going to make the video?
:lol:
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

Re: Always Clean Steel After Brushing? How to Get Broader Ar
Postby electrode » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:18 am

Try this. Turn on the smallest and largest burners on your stove to high. When they are glowing hot, put your left hand on the small burner and hold it there for 5 seconds. Then do the same with the right hand on the large burner. Now you know how that steel feels when you are welding it.

sounds like a job for JODY BOURDAIN......
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
exnailpounder

motox wrote:Re: Always Clean Steel After Brushing? How to Get Broader Ar
Postby electrode » Tue Apr 11, 2017 11:18 am

Try this. Turn on the smallest and largest burners on your stove to high. When they are glowing hot, put your left hand on the small burner and hold it there for 5 seconds. Then do the same with the right hand on the large burner. Now you know how that steel feels when you are welding it.

sounds like a job for JODY BOURDAIN......
Who the F is that :lol:

In all seriousness, everyone here IS helpful. I have joined a lot of forums, and a forum where people aren't jerks stands out.
exnailpounder

Chips O'Toole wrote:In all seriousness, everyone here IS helpful. I have joined a lot of forums, and a forum where people aren't jerks stands out.
Ask away Chips...in my eyes there are no stupid questions. People seeking knowledge of a subject they are just getting into need to ask questions. I bought my first lathe last year and asked questions..that didn't make me stupid. I built a casting furnace and had to ask questions...didn't make me stupid again. One day welding will click in your head and you'll wonder what all the fuss is about. If you have a yeomans mind , you'll do yeomans work.
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Actually, I was referring to this post by farm boy when I made my little joke:
Imagine fillet welds as a mug and flat plate welds as a eating plate. Stick your hand over the plate and then the mug. Which has more heat radiating off that affects your hand. The mug because the heat is more concentrated. Either way...if that didn't make sense-yes because the radiant heat has less places to go so it gets kicked back at you

Edit: with the mug and plate put coffe or hot liquid or something hot on them. You fill a mug you have three inches or so of concentrated heat whereas on the plate you have more interaction with room temp air so there is more cooling and more heat dissipation.

Maybe if I get around to I'll draw a diagram.
:D No harm intended, just the first thing that popped ("pooped" as farm boy would say) into my head after reading that. I just forgot to quote the post and added it to the end. Will you forgive me? ;) Just kidding around. :lol:
electrode

Chips O'Toole wrote:You mean he's not really going to make the video?
:lol: :lol: :lol: No, he is not. :o
electrode

exnailpounder wrote:Have a drink there fellers...it's all good. Just a little ball-bustin. electrodes a good dude...don't think he meant any harm...he eats with his hands and wipes with burlap so he's a little rough around the edges...nyuck nyuck nyuck.
How do you know what I wipe with?? :oops: :oops:
electrode

Chips O'Toole wrote:I guess this is a stupid question, but if I use a wire brush on steel, should I always follow up with acetone? It sort of looks like it works that way. Today I worked on a piece of metal that was welding okay yesterday. At first, I just went over it with acetone, figuring it couldn't be that dirty after one day. Then I hit part of it with a wire brush. Then I welded. The part I brushed had obvious contamination problems when I welded, but the part I didn't brush seemed okay.

I don't know how clean that brush is.

I tried to do a fillet weld today. First I did it without filler, and I managed to get it to work, and then I did the other side of the metal with filler, which was harder. The filler side was an area I had brushed, and the metal didn't want to flow. Anyway, I had a hard time getting the vertical and horizontal parts to melt at the same time. I think the area the arc was hitting might have been too small. I was using a very sharp 3/32" tungsten. Should I make it a little less sharp to get a wider arc?

Final thing: is it my imagination, or do fillet welds throw heat back at you? My right glove got hot very fast today. It seemed like the vertical bit was reflecting heat at me.
Put a small flat on the tungsten, keep the torch angle as straight as you can (70 degrees or less, 90 degrees is tough to see what you are doing), and maintain as close a distance to the work, without dipping, as you can. Like 1/16" of an inch is a good distance to shoot for.
exnailpounder

electrode wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:Have a drink there fellers...it's all good. Just a little ball-bustin. electrodes a good dude...don't think he meant any harm...he eats with his hands and wipes with burlap so he's a little rough around the edges...nyuck nyuck nyuck.
I think you missed the part where I said you're a good dude. Sorry to offend you.
electrode

exnailpounder wrote:
electrode wrote:
I think you missed the part where I said you're a good dude. Sorry to offend you.
I didn't miss that. And I appreciate you saying that. 8-) But I really use Angel Soft (double rolls) so I needed to clear that up asap. :lol:
angel-soft.jpg
angel-soft.jpg (40.95 KiB) Viewed 768 times
exnailpounder

You're such an ass :lol: I thought we weren't buds anymore...I'm trying to drink here...as if typing isn't hard enough when I'm sober.. :lol:
Last edited by exnailpounder on Tue Apr 11, 2017 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
exnailpounder

And...unless you've ever had an angel wipe your ass...how would you know your toilet paper is being honest? :lol:
exnailpounder

Man did this thread go south :lol:
electrode

exnailpounder wrote:And...unless you've ever had an angel wipe your ass...how would you know your toilet paper is being honest? :lol:
Well, hopefully some day it will be an Angel, and not the Devil wiping my ass. Getting older you know... :D And why would you think we weren't buds anymore? :?:
exnailpounder

electrode wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:And...unless you've ever had an angel wipe your ass...how would you know your toilet paper is being honest? :lol:
Well, hopefully some day it will be an Angel, and not the Devil wiping my ass. Getting older you know... :D And why would you think we weren't buds anymore? :?:
You seemed offended that I suggested you defile your bunghole with burlap :lol: That inference sure wouldn't bother me..I been divorced twice and been called everything but a white man :lol:
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
electrode wrote:
You seemed offended that I suggested you defile your bunghole with burlap :lol: That inference sure wouldn't bother me..I been divorced twice and been called everything but a white man :lol:
Well... I guess

You're a white man.
Well you can check that off of your list. :lol:

Oh and sorry for the plate and mug analogy... That made a ton of sense last night when I was right after watching Borat so excuse me for that.

And the name is Nick not farmer boy... No offense taken though :lol:
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
exnailpounder

I never called you farmer boy! Just remember...baaa means no.. :lol:

I hope people realize I was not offended and I was trying to be funny. I did want to see that video, though.
electrode

Chips O'Toole wrote:I hope people realize I was not offended and I was trying to be funny. I did want to see that video, though.
It's all good Chips. Glad you can roll with us and take a joke. :D I will let Nick make that video as he started the whole thing with his analogy. :lol:
electrode

exnailpounder wrote:
electrode wrote:
I wasn't offended. I was proud. But then I realized I didn't use burlap. So now I am going to have to try some. :o