Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

ONDGAS wrote:Sooooooo then one may ask how do you properly purge pipe if there is still air in it?
You can make a purge plug that will allow you to purge a much smaller area then a 5ft length of pipe/tube.
Make a plug that is a little bigger then the ID so it will go in with a little force, this way you know it will stay in place and not fall over. You can push the plug to within 10" or so of the weld, thus greatly reducing the volume you need to purge
Image1.jpg
Image1.jpg (20.72 KiB) Viewed 736 times
Here is a simple plug I made recently to purge an internal volume using aluminum foil.
20170413_184350.jpg
20170413_184350.jpg (34.23 KiB) Viewed 736 times
Richard
Website
ONDGAS
    Fri May 23, 2014 6:18 am

I never put a brass filter on my purge line like you did In the above pic, would this be a problem? I would think it's going to fill the enclosed space your purging regardless so is it needed?
Rubbin' is racin' son
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

ONDGAS wrote:I never put a brass filter on my purge line like you did In the above pic, would this be a problem? I would think it's going to fill the enclosed space your purging regardless so is it needed?
A brass muffler like this does a wonderful job of diffusing the purge gas, rather than injecting it. Yes, there's a difference.

Steve S

I've been using those for years, as Steve said, it does a great job.
Richard
Website