Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:31 pm

99% of the time, we run 1/8” Tungsten on ferrous and non-ferrous materials ranging in thickness from 24ga (.025”) to 1/4”+. BLUE Tungsten for all Ally work, and RED Tungsten for all other materials. Inverter machines. The key is end preparation, tip profiling, and operator proficiency. We also micro-ball the tip for Ally work. Yes, even when using inverter power sources.

Watch Aaron @ 6061.com master 1/8” Tunsgten on thin/thin, medium, and thick Aluminum and Stainless.

#WorkFunction
#eV
Purpose, then passion. Practitionership. Obsession and hard work. That's the discipline.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Here's some aluminum foil I welded at 10 amps DC- with a 3/32" tungsten :D

No light shined through when I checked, but it did have a tiny pinhole when I water tested it... :oops:

At 10 amps, when I first lit the tungsten on scrap the arc was just a buzzing large electrical field all over.
After the arc stabilized it didn't do that again and continued lighting up normally.
I had sharpened it on the belt sander, no polish - that's likely why.
Foil closeup
Foil closeup
image.jpeg (38.95 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
Machine
Machine
image.jpeg (32.42 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (46.55 KiB) Viewed 1024 times
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:31 pm

@ MinnesotaDave - fusion welding aluminum foil is about about easy as it comes. Amps aren’t key, fixturing/fitup is crucial. Now, if you fused the surfaces via “open root” you’re a king.

Ron C shows his craft on 1thou Ally,

https://youtu.be/0p9s3DxMZ0A
Purpose, then passion. Practitionership. Obsession and hard work. That's the discipline.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Arclight Ironworks wrote:@ MinnesotaDave - fusion welding aluminum foil is about about easy as it comes. Amps aren’t key, fixturing/fitup is crucial. Now, if you fused the surfaces via “open root” you’re a king.

Ron C shows his craft on 1thou Ally,

https://youtu.be/0p9s3DxMZ0A
Quite right, it's very easy :D pics are just a bonus - lol

Mostly I was just noting what happened with the 10 amps on my unpolished 3/32" tungsten.

I used two strips of stainless and sandwiched the foil with a little sticking out.
I went much slower than Ron C. because I wanted to watch the fusion take place.
I found it interesting :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Tue Jul 01, 2014 4:34 am

6061 had some recent videos about tungsten size.
Can't say I've seen his videos brought up on here though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

79jasper wrote:6061 had some recent videos about tungsten size.
Can't say I've seen his videos brought up on here though.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk
Well, he has posted many pics of his work and occasionally a video. He does have YT videos and a pay site
Richard
Website
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

I couldn't weld as good as 6061 "Aaron" in my dreams, guy has skills! ;)
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225