Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
rahtreelimbs
    Mon Jun 14, 2010 10:39 pm

A few weeks ago I was welding on 1/4" aluminum. The parts were approximately 6 ft. long. Using my HTP Invertig I was using 220 amps with 3/32 tungsten (all i had). Fast forward to last night I was experimenting with 1/4" pieces 2" x 6" welding the 6" sides together. I was able to weld these at 185 amps using a different machine. Other than amps both were set the same expect using 1/8 tungsten on the smaller pcs.

Does the much larger material draw more heat out of the weld thereby needing more amps?
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Absolutely the case.

More mass = more heat needed for the same thickness. Especially for aluminum since it transfers heat so efficiently.

Mild steel not so much.
Stainless even less of a change.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Troy Boy 72
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:22 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:Absolutely the case.

More mass = more heat needed for the same thickness. Especially for aluminum since it transfers heat so efficiently.

Mild steel not so much.
Stainless even less of a change.
I totally agree with Dave on this but i also have found that stepping up to the next size tungsten ( 1/8 , 3.2mm ) for 1/4 inch material helps as well , seems to have a little more oomph in it for some reason, also dropping my ac frequency to 60 hz helps as well . this is just my opinion running an everlast 210 ext.
Cheers Troy