Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
themadreefer
    Sat Feb 05, 2011 10:34 am

recently started tig welding about a month ago. been having problems with my tungstens becoming contaminated every time i lay a bead down. sounds and looks i am mig welding. using a lincoln precision 225 machine with straight argon.
mostly been welding chrome moly and mild steel. pretty sure my metal prep is in par, as i used a flapper wheel, scotch brite. i wipe metal, tungsten, and filler rod with acetone prior to welding. tried different tungstens, different argon flow, ground positions.not sure what i am doing wrong here. it seems to me that it appears to be some form of contamination.
one thing i have noticed is my arcs just do not look right.
thanks
WILD BILL
    Thu Oct 07, 2010 8:03 pm

Are you grinding on a dedicated grinder?

I also found when I started that I was grinding the angle all wrong. It does make a difference.
Everlast 225LX
themadreefer

yes, dedicated grinder with a 100 grit stone. one side for steel, the other side for aluminum
rickbreezy
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:08 pm

What makes a grinder "dedicated"?
Rugar
    Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:40 pm

rickbreezy wrote:What makes a grinder "dedicated"?
Using it for grinding tungsten only. If used for grinding other materials, the other material will embed itself into the grinding stone, and then embed itself into the tungsten from the stone the next time you grind tungsten.
Millermatic 251
Spectrum 300 Plasma
Everlast PowerTig 250EX
Everlast PowerCool W300
Harris/Victor OA
Craftsman 13 Speed Drill Press
ProTools Air/Hydraulic Bender
48" Brake
Compressor, Notchers, Grinders, etc.
kermdawg
    Tue May 25, 2010 8:16 pm

Is it kinda sputtering or spitting with alot of black soot? If its somethin like that then you either have to low gas flow or bad gas.
Signature? Who needs a F***ing signature?
jason.hwnd
    Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:33 am

Any chance at a hole(s) in the gas line?
Miller Aerowave
themadreefer

no black soot. thought an indication of lack of gas, was inside of nozzle turning yellow, which i experienced earlier along.
one thing i do notice, every time i tack weld, i have a ring of what appears to be rust color around every tack.
jason.hwnd
    Sun Mar 21, 2010 7:33 am

photos mate, lets see 'em.
Miller Aerowave