Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Well the verdict is in for the TIG Button on the HTP Invertig 221 tig welder....

Man, I LOVE this thing! The button sure is sensitive, which is a good thing, IMO. It means that you don't have to exert almost any force with your index finger, which in turns alleviates the tendency to develop a "kung fu" grip on the torch that inevitably limits mobility and fine motor control of your hand. I tried it both on regular DC welding, and with the pulser, and it worked as good as the stock pedal. I have the CK rotary track and slider amptrols, but I doubt I'm ever gonna use them again, this thing is that good. A+.
dave powelson
    Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:09 am

Is this either 'on' or 'off'...or can this control vary the amperage?
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

I've been away a few weeks, more info please.

Did you make it or is it an available product. Is the sensor in the button or does that whole section flex/bend?
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

i have aHTP as well. more details please!
i can be a pain dragging the foot peddle around.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Is that available for Miller? I bought one from USAweld and within 2 minutes realized I hated it and returned it. It looks and sounds like HTP did their homework on that one.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

It is not an on/off switch, it is an actual amptrol, where you vary the amperage with the slightest pressure of your finger. Nothing flexes, not even the little button that reads your finger pressure. It looks like it does, but it is very very firm, and reacts to your slightest finger pressure, and doesn't even move. It's like having a miniature, tiny foot pedal (in terms of control) strapped to the torch!. Operation is 100% effortless, so long as your finger is not shaking uncontrollably from some kind of physical ailment.
exnailpounder wrote:Is that available for Miller? I bought one from USAweld and within 2 minutes realized I hated it and returned it. It looks and sounds like HTP did their homework on that one.
This is not a product made or endorsed by HTP. I found out about it on the Miller forum. I think http://www.tigbutton.com is the website. If not just Google it. :) They make it for Millers and Lincolns, but as you can see, they are willing to work with welders and adapt to them. Not only do they work with you to offer a truly innovative awesome product, they get it right the 1st time! I was truly impressed.

The whole thing makes use of some electronics, as you can see the little black box that interfaces with it.

The green wire is just a machine ground, which they say is sometimes necessary, but I just went ahead and grounded it to the case, which itself is grounded.

Wireless footpedal, you've met your match. Now you don't have to drag/kick around your wireless footpedal. Where your torch goes, this goes. Can't be much better, save for telekinetic mind control over your welder, lol.

I'm not affiliated with the people that make this, just a happy customer. The owner is a really nice guy who spoke to me on the phone regarding this product and adapting it for my welder. Now I need to dig up some projects to work on to use this thing more often.
Last edited by Oscar on Mon Apr 17, 2017 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
WildWestWelder
    Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:43 pm

I'm a foot control guy. This may come from the fact that I play pedal steel guitar where you use both hands, both knees and both feet.

Sounds good! :D
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Oscar,

I'm enthusiastic about this idea, and they list one for 14 pin Miller. However, their alleged ebay listings (as mentioned on the website) do not exist. Is there another source? Do I need to use the "contact us" on the web page?

How did you get yours?

[EDIT] tigcontrol.com has an order page. That thing is nearly $200. I still want one.

Steve S
exnailpounder

Otto Nobedder wrote:Oscar,

I'm enthusiastic about this idea, and they list one for 14 pin Miller. However, their alleged ebay listings (as mentioned on the website) do not exist. Is there another source? Do I need to use the "contact us" on the web page?

How did you get yours?

[EDIT] tigcontrol.com has an order page. That thing is nearly $200. I still want one.

Steve S
Same thing here...could not find them on Ebay. Give us a hint...how much? They show that they make it for my machine...this could be exactly what I'm looking for but I can't buy one :?

Yea the whole shebang is 200 but. I contacted them via the "send a message" because I have an unlisted welder. I don't know about the whole eBay thing as they could be doing a transition for all I know.

I don't get what the mystery is, they're available on their website??
Richard
Website

I think it's because I listed one link (www.tigbutton.com), but the correct page that has the shopping cart feature is www.tigcontrol.com. The CK amptrols are nearly $200 as well, so this one isn't too far out in left field. It is 10x better however. This coming from someone who owns two CK amptrols.

Yes, it's clear NO ONE read my clearly marked [EDIT] where I pointed to the correct website. Sadly, I edited before anyone replied, so it wasn't hidden. ExNail even quoted the edited version with the correct link... :lol:

Steve S
motox

Oscar
i have the same machine as you. is there a part number for the controller for our machines?
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

motox wrote:Oscar
i have the same machine as you. is there a part number for the controller for our machines?
craig
No there isn't, because it is not a production model. For the time being, you'll have to contact them.
exnailpounder

Otto Nobedder wrote:Yes, it's clear NO ONE read my clearly marked [EDIT] where I pointed to the correct website. Sadly, I edited before anyone replied, so it wasn't hidden. ExNail even quoted the edited version with the correct link... :lol:

Steve S
It took me all day of thinking about that to finally "get it" :lol: I ordered one today. That sucker looks like it's going to be the answer to alot of my problems and we have a trusted friend's review on it...can't wait.
motox

Oscar thanks
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

It would be nice to hear some of the other reports back as well. I've been looking at several versions of the thumb controls and there almost all in that price range.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Stupid thumb control I have at work was about $120, and it shows. I set the machine wide open so the power I want to use is on one sweep of the thumb, but that doesn't work for heavy aluminum, and I'm dialing it like an old rotary phone and shaking the torch in the process.
I want this.
I have to convince work I need this, in order to get it. I'm not spending that money for something I can only use at work. (I have no workshop at home).

Steve S
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I bough the miller one for the little 150stl. It's a lot better than scratch start but it wasn't worth the $180 they charged. It wasn't my money but it just wasn't great.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

I looked into making something like this a while back. But the only way I could figure it is to use a pressure sensor, make it a little hardier with a puck or button and heatshrink and hook it up to an arduino back near the machine then have the arduino read the sensor and control a variable resistor hooked up to the welder via the foot pedal input. I figured it would cost at least $100 but probably closer to $150 with no guarantee it would even work just for a dodgy prototype. Coupled with the fact I don't know a thing about Arduino's I shelved the idea.

So if its up and running and working I'd say that is a steal at the price given what I think is involved in putting it together and materials and such.
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde
motox

yesterday i spoke with Dave Vogel of tigcontrol.com and the
controller for HTP should be available on their website by the
weeks end if anyone else in interested. $199.00
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

I contacted the company too, they're working on one for the Lincoln Square wave 200.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch

It occurred to me to see how close the TIG Button got to the machine requested amperage. The values were a little lower than I had hoped, but then it also occurred to me, well just how close does the stock foot pedal deliver the requested amperage as well. Then I felt better. The TIG Button is within 1% difference from the stock foot pedal, and within 3% from the amperage requested at the machine panel.

Differences are minimal, but then again, even the stock foot pedal is off, or it might even be one of those production tolerances thing where it is the machine itself that is off. I wonder how other machines and their foot pedals stack up.

Any Invertig 221 takers out there?
Last edited by Oscar on Sun Apr 30, 2017 1:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.