Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

What version of converter did you get? Just curious to know how big of stuff it can run?
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:29 am

5HP, technically it will run 3 phase motors up to 2.5HP e.g. half the RPC rating. But that is only a loose guide. If the 3 phase machine starts easily, it might run a 3-4 HP 3 phase motor. A hard starting machine like a dust collector maybe max 2.5 HP.
Poland308

What brand did you pick? Or is it a diy kit?

Josh

American Rotary, one of the more expensive brands but the only one approved by Haas to run their CNC machines. I took a bunch of pictures after unpacking everything this evening and will be posting them in the next day or two.
Poland308

Cool I've been looking at there web site looks like they have a solid product.

Josh

American Rotary RPC - There's less expensive RPC's out there, but every time I try to go cheap I get screwed so I'm fed up with that happening and went with American Rotary. Approved by Haas they have their act together.

The generator motor is Gentek manufactured by Baldor in USA, came in a Baldor box. Optional Accessories - I ordered a 20A 3ph circuit breaker recommended by Jet to protect the zip miter band saw, the mounting kit for mounting the electrical box to the motor vs wall mount, and 20A 3ph 4 wire twist lock receptacle.

Rotary Phase Converter complete! Overall fit and finish really nice but there were some quality control issues, some guy named Chuck signed and dated it, he needs to pay more attention to detail.

1. On/Off switch fell off, they never tightened it, I had to unwrap the black tape, remove it, install it properly.

2. They pre-cut the insulation on the cord between the box and idler, but cut too deep about 10 copper wires fell off, I snipped and stripped the insulation with a proper tool.

3. The isolation mounts between the box and the idler could not be tightened, the carriage bolt shank stuck out too far from the cabinet, even with the washer they included. I had to add a thin washer.

4. It came with a big scratch already applied :evil:

The Jet J-9225 Zip Miter band saw has landed! Because there's like only one lame picture of this saw in grey on the net here are some more detailed photos. Yes the idiot freight company managed to bend something, I bent it back. The top of the crate was destroyed from loading something heavy on top of it.

Poland308

Sounds like your shipping company bounced there truck over a lot of rr tracks.

Josh
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

when you turn on the convertor let us know how loud it s running.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil

As I hate noise I happen to own a decibel meter. The RPC measured 66 decibels with the meter inches from the idler. About 8 feet away 56 decibels, that's fairly quiet.

Everything assembled, cleaned, and ready for use! Here's the BuildPro 22x46 welding table with adjustable height legs, casters, and the leg brace kit.

Here's the Jet J-9225 Zip Miter band saw, I put it on a mobile base with urethane foot locking casters.

At full tilt miter

The back side

Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

You will absolutely love that strong hand table. It is probably one of the nicest things you've done for yourself for fabricating everything.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick

Miller Coolmate 3 inbound! Fed up with excuses from Everlast, they told me 10 days on their cooler, after 10 days I called them last week and they said it was shipping the next day and would arrive today. Called today for a tracking # and they admitted it never shipped. Pressed further they admitted the container from CHINA still had not arrived. :x So I bailed on the Everlast and ordered an in stock ready to ship Miller Coolmate 3 today. More than double the price ouch, but I like the front fill design better so I guess there's that.