Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

So I've had the CK large diameter #18 (1-1/8") pyrex kit, but I saw the Weldtec Megaflo a while back and decided to buy one.

So what's it come with?
  • Glass Nozzle
  • Collet body with integrated mesh screen and perforated baffle
  • 3 tip adapters tungsten sizes: 1/16", 3/32", & 1/8"
  • 3 standard copper collets
  • teflon heat shield gasket

An immediate difference I saw, is that since the collet body integrates the mesh screens and perforated baffle, there is a tiny ~0.030" gap around it's perimeter from the glass nozzle. There are side ports that would allow shielding gas to flow all the way to the outside of the collet body (between it and the glass nozzle itself).

As stated from the Tec-Torch website, there are 6 very fine mesh screens behind the perforated baffle.

Compared to the CK large diameter pyrex cup kit which includes:
  • Pyrex nozzle
  • comes with one collet body
  • 4 separate tungsten size adapters that integrate the mesh screens and perforated baffle, sizes: 0.040", 1/16", 3/32", & 1/8".
  • 4 brass high performance wedge collets
  • teflon heat shield gasket
The mesh on the CK kit extends just a smidge past the perforated baffle and butts up tightly against the Pyrex cup itself.

The teflon insulator gasket on the WeldTec has a flange to act as a positive stop for the glass nozzle. The CK's actually fits within the Pyrex cup as it has no lip. The Megaflo nozzle is about 1/8" shorter than the CK.

The Megaflow installed on a torch.

Is it easy to change out the tip adapter to change tungstens? For me yes, I got small hands, so I can easily unscrew it out. On the CK, you have to remove the Pyrex cup completely to unscrew the tungsten adapter to change sizes.

If you don't have small hands/fingers, a 5/16" socket fits right over it. (shown with a wrench for illustrative purposes).

That's all. :D
nelson
    Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:21 pm

Cool. Scary to be able to see what I'm doing though. Shoot a video man!

What's such a big cup for?
Stone knives and bearskins.....and a NEW EVERLAST 164SI !!!
That's my newly shared work welder.
At home I got a Power Tig 185 DV. Nice, but no plasma cutting... Nice tight arc after a second.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

nelson wrote:Cool. Scary to be able to see what I'm doing though. Shoot a video man!

Certain jobs require a lot of gas coverage. Typically titanium or certain stainless jobs run these. Sometimes if you run extra stick out you may need a large cup to get better coverage or certain tubing jobs. Mostly it just puts a lot of inert gas where it needs to be fast.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Farmwelding wrote:
nelson wrote:Cool. Scary to be able to see what I'm doing though. Shoot a video man!

Certain jobs require a lot of gas coverage. Typically titanium or certain stainless jobs run these. Sometimes if you run extra stick out you may need a large cup to get better coverage or certain tubing jobs. Mostly it just puts a lot of inert gas where it needs to be fast.
Gas coverage is a great thing. I almost spent the money on Pyrex cups when it suddenly hit me that I am supposed to be watching the puddle and not torch guts. I almost spent the money on Monster cups for better coverage, but at $50 a cup...no way with the way I drop things. I just worked with my buddy for 2 days who is a boilermaker and welds alot of exotics in the refineries and he told me they use plain old alumina cups, #8 to #12 depending, thoriated tungsten and gas lenses, and thats it. They sharpen their tungsten with a sharpener or a grinder, depending on if the inspector is hanging around. He said it's the same for the fitters. The only difference with them is they are cup walkers and boilermakers are freehanders. Sometimes they use a trail cup on certain alloys. I think it's us bottom feeders that require all the toys :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.

Tell ya what, ill post 3 videos for every 1 that you post. :D
Troy Boy 72
    Thu Dec 31, 2015 7:22 pm

Hey Oscar, I seen that Weldtec Megaflo in a LWS here in Australia and asked how much for it " hope your sitting down" $270.00
This is what we have to put up with here
Cheers Troy

Troy Boy 72 wrote:Hey Oscar, I seen that Weldtec Megaflo in a LWS here in Australia and asked how much for it " hope your sitting down" $270.00
This is what we have to put up with here
Cheers Troy
That is ridiculous. I bought it from Weldfabulous for $79 USD. I can't imagine it would be all that much to ship a 5oz package to Aus. Maybe what, $25-30?
Troy Boy 72

Yes mate i know its ridiculous but apparently not at that shop, I'm aware that the CK jumbo gas lens is about $80 but i didn't see the weldtec one . Just a heads upon prices i also enquired about the quartz nozzle #5 #7 Weldtec $60 + GST here in Aus how much are they over there ?
Troy Boy 72

Hey Oscar , i just checked out some of the prices at Weldfabulous and i see what you mean with the weldtec stuff . I was actually surprised to see that Weldtec Megaflo in a LWS store here were i live cause that is what they class as exotic welding gear and that my friend is something we just don't see here at all . Yes you are correct with shipping costs to Australia, As most of my TIG gear is CK that is all it costs me for small packages is approx $30 .
Cheers Troy
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Troy Boy 72 wrote:Yes mate i know its ridiculous but apparently not at that shop, I'm aware that the CK jumbo gas lens is about $80 but i didn't see the weldtec one . Just a heads upon prices i also enquired about the quartz nozzle #5 #7 Weldtec $60 + GST here in Aus how much are they over there ?
Troy - You can buy #5 and #8 pyrex cups all day long via http://furickcup.com/furickshop/ for $20USD and as little as $10 for 8s in a 4 pack. These cups use the Miller brand gas lens (5 uses a standard collet body) because the Miller has a groove for the O-ring.

Oscar - I noticed when I was using a CK gas lens on a #12, the CK lens actually has a much larger wall thickness where the tungsten exists the lens. I see the WeldTec has a large adapter too. It was my experience with the CK that this was disrupting the gas flow quite a bit. When I swapped in a Miller gas lens, it was much smaller on the body thickness and increased the surface area of the diffuser.

I'm wondering if that cup would fit any 17 style lens and if so, had you tried a different lens to compare the performance?

Nailer - the Pyrex is so you can see through when you get jammed up in a tight corner, or, need to be able to see a puddle more clearly. The Alumina cups work great too, but there are times when a Pyrex cup is a God send.
Troy Boy 72

cj737 wrote:
Troy Boy 72 wrote:Yes mate i know its ridiculous but apparently not at that shop, I'm aware that the CK jumbo gas lens is about $80 but i didn't see the weldtec one . Just a heads upon prices i also enquired about the quartz nozzle #5 #7 Weldtec $60 + GST here in Aus how much are they over there ?
Troy - You can buy #5 and #8 pyrex cups all day long via http://furickcup.com/furickshop/ for $20USD and as little as $10 for 8s in a 4 pack. These cups use the Miller brand gas lens (5 uses a standard collet body) because the Miller has a groove for the O-ring.

Oscar - I noticed when I was using a CK gas lens on a #12, the CK lens actually has a much larger wall thickness where the tungsten exists the lens. I see the WeldTec has a large adapter too. It was my experience with the CK that this was disrupting the gas flow quite a bit. When I swapped in a Miller gas lens, it was much smaller on the body thickness and increased the surface area of the diffuser.

I'm wondering if that cup would fit any 17 style lens and if so, had you tried a different lens to compare the performance?

Nailer - the Pyrex is so you can see through when you get jammed up in a tight corner, or, need to be able to see a puddle more clearly. The Alumina cups work great too, but there are times when a Pyrex cup is a God send.
Hey cj737 Thanks for the heads up on Furick mate i didn't realise he had more stuff on his site
Cheers Troy