Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
GreinTime
    Fri Nov 01, 2013 11:20 am

electrode wrote:
Oscar wrote:A swivel head torch can help in the front-back direction, but if you're welding in the usual sense of Left-right, many times torch angle is simply because we need to see the puddle and its right under the tungsten, so angle-ing the torch just slightly off to the side is usually necessary.

I think when you get older and need cheaters and reading glasses and have light entering from the back of the hood, you agle the torch more cause you need all the help you can get seeing what you are doing. :lol: So the swivel head would still be good as I do a lot of tubing welding anyhow. 8-)

I was just thinking...it seems this angle question just came up recently because I was noticing I was starting to develop a bad habit and was trying to figure out why. I think I just did. My welder is to my left and I am right handed, but if I lay my torch leads/hoses over my lap they tend to pull on the torch. I never noticed it being a problem as I usually put the leads/hoses around the back and into the right but since I got a new dog that wanted to chew on everything, I did that different. :P Which brings another question. If you have a 25 foot set of hoses do you unwrap the whole 25 feet even if you are 6 feet from the welder? Or unwrap what you need?
I unwrap what I need, and a little more typically. I wrap the cables around my forearm for the most part, or try and hang them above table level so they are not hanging down pulling on the torch as you said

Sent from my VS995 using Tapatalk
#oneleggedproblems
-=Sam=-
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I only unwrap enough for it to lay on the floor nice so I'm not supporting any more weight than I have to. This keeps me from walking on the rest.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

That must be it then. ;) A long time ago someone told me that leaving the cables wrapped around the handles (Miller SW250DX) and not removing the whole lot, could cause an electromagnetic field and damage the electronics. I have always left what I don't need wrapped on my machine and never had a problem, although I did have a high dollar main board go bad that only affected high amp A/C welding, but it could have been bad from the factory and I didn't notice as I didn't do much aluminum with the welder. Worked fine with DC but when I started welding thick aluminum I was out of warranty and had to pay $700 for the part. I kept the old board as it works fine with DC and lower amp A/C. Anyone ever hear of the potential issue with the hoses left wrapped around the handles of a SW250 causing problems?
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

I've heard about strange things happening when there is an excessive amount of coiled lead laying around when stick welding. I.E. several hundred feet of coiled lead.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

electrode wrote:That must be it then. ;) Anyone ever hear of the potential issue with the hoses left wrapped around the handles of a SW250 causing problems?
With a few decades behind me, no.
Richard
Website
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

LtBadd wrote:
electrode wrote:That must be it then. ;) Anyone ever hear of the potential issue with the hoses left wrapped around the handles of a SW250 causing problems?
I second that. I've heard anecdotes and theories, but never seen evidence.

Stick-welding, as Poland mentioned, I've seen effects when a hundred feet or so are coiled up. The arc seems a little "softer". It may just be perception and not fact, but my theory is, the coiled wire acts as an inductor and dampens the high-frequency noise induced by the arc. Theory is a strong word... Let's call it a guess.

Steve S
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:
LtBadd wrote:
I second that. I've heard anecdotes and theories, but never seen evidence.

Stick-welding, as Poland mentioned, I've seen effects when a hundred feet or so are coiled up. The arc seems a little "softer". It may just be perception and not fact, but my theory is, the coiled wire acts as an inductor and dampens the high-frequency noise induced by the arc. Theory is a strong word... Let's call it a guess.

Steve S
That's pretty much right on the money, an educated guess. If a welding lead is coiled in a fashion similar to 3-D helix (the way transformers are wound), then it will indeed form an inductor, which means that when there is a rise or drop in current flow with respect to time, during that time there will be a voltage drop during which electrical energy is converted/stored in the form a magnetic field.

By looking at that formula, inductance (L) is highly on N, the no. of turns-squared. The fact that N is squared, means it is quadratic in behavior; ie: double the no. of turns, inductance goes up by a factor of 4, triple the no. of turns, the inductance goes up by a factor of 9.

For DC welding, this would have a large impact upon arc strike, where di/dt is greatest. For AC welding where it is changing 60+ times a second, inductance would rear it's ugly head on each and every polarity reversal and really soften the arc by killing the voltage at the arc.
electrode

Oscar wrote:
That's pretty much right on the money, an educated guess. If a welding lead is coiled in a fashion similar to 3-D helix (the way transformers are wound), then it will indeed form an inductor, which means that when there is a rise or drop in current flow with respect to time, during that time there will be a voltage drop during which electrical energy is converted/stored in the form a magnetic field.

By looking at that formula, inductance (L) is highly on N, the no. of turns-squared. The fact that N is squared, means it is quadratic in behavior; ie: double the no. of turns, inductance goes up by a factor of 4, triple the no. of turns, the inductance goes up by a factor of 9.

For DC welding, this would have a large impact upon arc strike, where di/dt is greatest. For AC welding where it is changing 60+ times a second, inductance would rear it's ugly head on each and every polarity reversal and really soften the arc by killing the voltage at the arc.
But, could that destroy a circuit board behind the front panel? In my case the machine would shut down with an error 1 when welding thick aluminum. DC never a problem:

Help 1
An SCR overcurrent or undercurrent condition has occurred.
Turn power off and back on to correct condition.

I turned it off and tried to weld aluminum again at high amps and it failed over and over again. Miller said sounds like the main board. And it was. Of course I have read of many board failures on Miller SW 250's so my guess is that they were common at one time and I just got unlucky.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Unfortunately, I don't know. Your best bet is to call Miller tech support.
electrode

This happened a few years ago and they said replace the main circuit board. I don't think they may have said it is best to not leave the cables wrapped around the handles but I also read about a lot of other people having to replace main circuit boards that were a certain revision so there may have been a bad batch of them at one time. So I found one from a re-seller for $700 and bit the bullet. The machine was out of warranty and had very low hours but that didn't help me any. I am pretty sure it was a defective circuit board or just popped a component the first time I cranked up the amps on AC welding.