Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Graveyard
    Wed Feb 25, 2015 8:31 am

Ok so I have a syncrowave 210, this is the tig/stock only. I got it a month before the spool gun version came out. Either way the last couple days I've been having a weird issue and I'm not sure where to start. So when I press the foot pedal sometimes it won't start the gas and it won't initiate the arc at all. The amps on the machine will change when I press the foot pedal but it won't do anything. Earlier today when it did it once it went to its start up screen which says "sync 210" and it just stayed there. I have to power down the machine and then give it a minute. And even then that doesn't seem to work. Here a minute ago I just kept pressing the pedal down over and over im until it initiated the arc. Any help or insight would be appreciated. It's been a great machine till this. Just curious if the pedal is the issue or if it's the machine or if I just need to clean something. Also there is no damage to the cord on the pedal at all and also no damage to the tig torch and hose or ground. I have a 300 Amp magnetic ground I use on the material and its bare metal so it's getting good ground. I'm welding the same 16 ga cold rolled I always have at 60 amps 1ppm. I have made no changes to the machine or my process at all or done any updates. Thanks.
csmith
    Tue Apr 18, 2017 11:30 am

Try the pedal on a different machine.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

I have the 210 and I have experienced what you're describing too. It doesn't happen very often and is always a mystery when it does. I have read other places that it's a common quirk. Miller now allows you too make upgrades that they once used to charge you for, for free and it is supposed to include software upgrades that knock this quirk out. I installed the upgrades and my machine hasn't acted up at all since. https://www.millerwelds.com/support/sys ... ftwareever
Follow the link and instructions. It's really easy and heads up...you don't need a really big memory SD card to download this data. My machine is a few years old and it has acted funny only a few times but has been a great machine otherwise.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Graveyard

exnailpounder wrote:I have the 210 and I have experienced what you're describing too. It doesn't happen very often and is always a mystery when it does. I have read other places that it's a common quirk. Miller now allows you too make upgrades that they once used to charge you for, for free and it is supposed to include software upgrades that knock this quirk out. I installed the upgrades and my machine hasn't acted up at all since. https://www.millerwelds.com/support/sys ... ftwareever
Follow the link and instructions. It's really easy and heads up...you don't need a really big memory SD card to download this data. My machine is a few years old and it has acted funny only a few times but has been a great machine otherwise.

Great thanks for the info. I was planning to do an upgrade soon. Looks like I'll have to figure it out this week.
exnailpounder

Very easy Graveyard. My 210 acts weird very infrequently so it's hard to say if the upgrade cured the problem as I haven't been welding much in the last few weeks but some of the other forums say the upgrade shook the bug out of their machines. I also noted that when my machine wouldn't light up, I would just wait a couple seconds or I would put the tungsten really close to the metal and it would start normally. I think it's just a quirk with the HF and nothing serious but it is a pain in the ass and makes ya worry. If you have any trouble loading your SD card, give me a shout. Good luck!
HellsBells
    Mon Apr 24, 2017 7:40 pm

When I got my 210 it would do the same. When you step on the pedal it would reset. Called Miller and spoke with them. After a bit was told to check electric supply. My friend came looked at it and found a bad breaker The voltage on one line would dip and reset the welder. Replaced it now its fine. Hope this helps
exnailpounder

HellsBells wrote:When I got my 210 it would do the same. When you step on the pedal it would reset. Called Miller and spoke with them. After a bit was told to check electric supply. My friend came looked at it and found a bad breaker The voltage on one line would dip and reset the welder. Replaced it now its fine. Hope this helps
I wondered about the power supply myself but I have a 252 Mig that I run on the same circuit and it has never acted up so I don't really know. I am guessing it has to do with the HF start. Used my machine yesterday all day and it purred like a kitten so hopefully the upgrade I installed got rid of the problem.
Graveyard

exnailpounder wrote:Very easy Graveyard. My 210 acts weird very infrequently so it's hard to say if the upgrade cured the problem as I haven't been welding much in the last few weeks but some of the other forums say the upgrade shook the bug out of their machines. I also noted that when my machine wouldn't light up, I would just wait a couple seconds or I would put the tungsten really close to the metal and it would start normally. I think it's just a quirk with the HF and nothing serious but it is a pain in the ass and makes ya worry. If you have any trouble loading your SD card, give me a shout. Good luck!

Thank you I appreciate that!
Graveyard

HellsBells wrote:When I got my 210 it would do the same. When you step on the pedal it would reset. Called Miller and spoke with them. After a bit was told to check electric supply. My friend came looked at it and found a bad breaker The voltage on one line would dip and reset the welder. Replaced it now its fine. Hope this helps

I installed a new subpanel/wiring and ran several new circuits including this one. I'll check them and make sure I don't have any amp drop thanks!