Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
scorpion!
    Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:17 am

Requirements:
TIG with 250+ amps
Possibly 3 phase power supply
Budget of 3k (maybe 3.5k)

Hi, I'm the owner of a small manufacturing plant and I'm looking for a tig welder for equipment maintenance and some small fabrication projects. I do not have welding experience but I feel the investment in learning will pay off compared to the costs of transportation and the hiring of a welding shop, which adds up quickly. Max metal will be 4x4 carbon steel and stainless steel frames, and 3/8" (possibly 1/2") aluminum.

I have tons of power in the facility. 2000+ amps on the mains and 240V 3phase, 480v 3phase so power supply compatibility is not an issue.

I have a budget of under $3000 for a TIG. Bear in mind that this is not something we'll be using everyday, just special projects every couple weeks.

Been looking at Everlast 250EX & Longecity 250EX.

Due to so much conflicting reports on those from forum posters across the years, I was also looking at maybe a Lincoln Precision 275, or Miller Dynasty 280. Both those are about 1000 out of my budget. And these days just cause something says Made in America, it doesn't really mean much anymore...most of the components are overseas and the the Made-in-American durability ain't what it used to be.

Been scouring the local craigslist as well for equipment as well but nothing's been popping up for about a month already. Not too thrilled about used options on Ebay since most of those seem like auction houses or with little guarantee that they'd work.

I kind of feel like with all the power capacity I have I should be getting something to take advantage of the 240 or 480 3phase rather than running off of single phase inverter technology, but there doesn't seem to much available in this space - at least where I'm searching.

Any suggestions on what to buy?
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

Hmmmm! Decisions.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

You're correct. With a budget of 3k, there isn't much (if any at all) that would "take advantage" of 3-phase power in comparison to single phase.

Welcome to the forum Scorpion
You don't provide a location in your profile, just wondering if you have a LWS (local welding supplier) that may have a line on used equipment.
If not, maybe get by until the budget can grow some...?
Richard
Website
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

The "smallest" welder that comes to mind that can pack a greater punch on 3-Φ vs 1-Φ power, and still at a decent price is the Lincoln Aspect 375.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Depending on your location I'd be looking around on Craigslist or auctions for a similar tig welder to what you want. A company may be going out of business or upgrading and then they sell or a tech school may be upgrading and selling everything they have. Keep keeping a look out. I would reccomend something like a dynasty 280. I've used them and they are some of the nicest machines I've used. I don't know if you've thought of it but you are probably going to want a water cooler as well for that size of a machine. That adds to the cost. Whatever you do, don't cheap out.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Wed Oct 15, 2014 9:29 am

Everlast 255ext and Powercool W300 TIG torch cooler $2,650 delivered with free shipping directly from Everlast how can you top that? Leaves you $350 left over for gas, tungsten, filler rods.

I'm not a fan of the 'ex' vs the 'ext'. On the 'ex' there's so many knobs they can't really add any new features there's no space left. The control panel on the 'ext' works great, plus freed space for some additional features.

Miller? Lincoln? I can afford any damn welder I want, naturally I was on that Miller Dynasty 280dx package like flies on...until I called Miller. Aware of how many previously Made in USA products are now made in China and only assembled in the USA, and how companies don't really advertise that fact for obvious reasons. I called Miller and asked them about the Dynasty, yeah the guts are made in Asia and its only assembled and tested in the USA. I could not see paying more than double for it vs the Everlast. As for Lincoln don't get me started on them.

Now if the welder was mission critical, if I needed support immediately or my business was hemorrhaging money, then Miller by a mile. You can get same day support if you need it, you won't have that with an Everlast. Just trying to be fair to Miller that's worth a lot depending on how you are using the welder in your business.
Last edited by Coolidge on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:39 pm, edited 2 times in total.
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

If you're anywhere near the far west Chicago suburbs, this Miller Synchrowave on craigslist seems like exactly what you're looking for. I've been looking for a used tig machine and noticed this today.
Last edited by MarkL on Fri Apr 28, 2017 6:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
scorpion!

Sorry, guess I should have added that I'm in Tampa FL

Craigsilst is dry here
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

scorpion! wrote: Craigsilst is dry here
It goes in streaks, you'll find exactly what you're looking for the day after you buy something else. ;)
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch

scorpion! wrote:Sorry, guess I should have added that I'm in Tampa FL

Craigsilst is dry here
Actually there is a Miller Syncrowave 250DX listed for $2750, it's in Palm Harbor.
Richard
Website
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

LtBadd wrote:

Craigsilst is dry here
Actually there is a Miller Syncrowave 250DX listed for $2750, it's in Palm Harbor.
That's a great machine. If it's hours and cycles are low, that's also an excellent price. The machine will tell you it's number of arc hours, and it's number of arc starts. How to do this is in the manual, available on page 48 of this:
https://www.millerwelds.com/files/owner ... AT_MIL.pdf

Page 52 of 68, as I received the .pdf

Steve S
Poleframer
    Wed Feb 01, 2017 12:47 am

Considering your price range, and that you are looking for a used industrial type machine at that, I'd think of looking farther afield, and more for shipping/freight. 3 phase motors and such often go cheap out there, but the buyers arent hobby guys. Might think more along the lines of 1500-2000 machine cost, and 500 to truck it there. Or factor in bare machine and add the cost of accessories.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:
LtBadd wrote:

Craigsilst is dry here
That's a great machine. If it's hours and cycles are low, that's also an excellent price. The machine will tell you it's number of arc hours, and it's number of arc starts. How to do this is in the manual, available on page 48 of this:
https://www.millerwelds.com/files/owner ... AT_MIL.pdf

Page 52 of 68, as I received the .pdf

Steve S
Big upside for the Synchrowave is its Multi-process capable too. MIG, Stick and Spoolgun ;)
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

If you want large power for cheap, Miller 330 abp tops out around 470 amps, goes down to 5 amps.

Single phase, use well over 100 amps at max power (60 amps in the mid range), sell often for $500-$1000.

Mine is painted orange, listed as an Airco 300, 900 lbs of 1963 awesome :D

Made into the 90's as I recall, durable and work great.

I recently bought a 90's Miller Syncrowave 350. Doesn't actually weld any better but the adjustable balance is nice.
Last edited by MinnesotaDave on Sat Apr 29, 2017 7:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

cj737 wrote: Big upside for the Synchrowave is its Multi-process capable too. MIG, Stick and Spoolgun ;)
If I remember correctly, running a spool gun is a new thing that started with the Syncrowave 210.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
cj737

MinnesotaDave wrote:
cj737 wrote: Big upside for the Synchrowave is its Multi-process capable too. MIG, Stick and Spoolgun ;)
If I remember correctly, running a spool gun is a new thing that started with the Syncrowave 210.
You are correct, but my referral was to a new unit. Probably confusing that I linked it within a "Used Available" machine. Sorry for that-

cj737 wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote:
You are correct, but my referral was to a new unit. Probably confusing that I linked it within a "Used Available" machine. Sorry for that-
Just for the Syncrowave 210 though.

The 250/350 do not run spool guns that I've seen, what model year did that start?
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Polobbie
    Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:35 pm

Not long ago I sold a mint Miller Sycrowave 351 and cooler on Austin, TX craigslist like the one Mark found in the Chicago area. It was/is a beast of a machine built like a tank at over 500 lbs. I mainly sold it due to the space it consumed, a desire for features only inverter welders offer, portability, and a worry that a fix involving parts such as board might become unavailable soon. I have since purchased an Everlast 255ext new and a Miller Dynasty 200DX on craigslist. I still miss that 351 though as it was so precise down real low and powerful at 350 amps which I rarely needed. Everything about that machine was USA made and top quality for a transformer based platform.
scorpion!

Hey guys

Thanks for all the responses. I'm overwhelmed at how many people replied and offered helpful suggestions. It gave me a bit of thinking to do and some accompanying research.

I think I originally suggested a Sychrowave because I thought to myself, I have all this power available, why not take advantage of it. After more consideration there's really no advantage to running directly from the power supply rather than using an inverter. And I think a smaller unit might even be preferable. The reason being is that I have some big machines that can't be moved to a workshop - a 10,000lb blender, etc - and have to bring the welder there. I think moving a Dyansty or Everlast is a much more enjoyable task than moving the synchro :)

So now it's done to either a Dynasty 280 or Everlast 250. I would need the full kit. The Dynasty kit is around 6500-7000 vs the everlast which is around 3000.

I obviously prefer to spend 3k instead of 7k, but I can afford the 7k if I will really obtain that much more value from it.

I'm not going to be using it daily - probably a couple hours every few weeks. My biggest concern is that if something breaks, I can get it repaired within 1-2 weeks.

I guess I'm asking for a face-off between the Everlast v Dynasty because although Miller is a USA company my understanding is that much of the Dynasty is made overseas - maybe even the same plant as the Everlast? So do I really get a 100% more value with the Dynasty?

Thank you!
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

How can you measure value?
Miller power sources are used industrially day in year out. If there's a problem an authorised repairer usually isn't too far away with parts or access to parts quickly. Warranty repairs usually go smoothly, past warranty repairs go smoothly and fast as well.

Everlast power sources have to be posted back to them for warranty repair and also (correct me if I am wrong here) for post warranty repair because that's where the parts are at. Big down time. Also I still have not really heard from anyone using them industrially day in and year out. We've heard from some that have one for a couple of years and use it every week but not those that bash it all day every day year in year out so longevity is still not answered in my mind.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'

scorpion! wrote:Hey guys

Thanks for all the responses. I'm overwhelmed at how many people replied and offered helpful suggestions. It gave me a bit of thinking to do and some accompanying research.

I think I originally suggested a Sychrowave because I thought to myself, I have all this power available, why not take advantage of it. After more consideration there's really no advantage to running directly from the power supply rather than using an inverter. And I think a smaller unit might even be preferable. The reason being is that I have some big machines that can't be moved to a workshop - a 10,000lb blender, etc - and have to bring the welder there. I think moving a Dyansty or Everlast is a much more enjoyable task than moving the synchro :)

So now it's done to either a Dynasty 280 or Everlast 250. I would need the full kit. The Dynasty kit is around 6500-7000 vs the everlast which is around 3000.

I obviously prefer to spend 3k instead of 7k, but I can afford the 7k if I will really obtain that much more value from it.

I'm not going to be using it daily - probably a couple hours every few weeks. My biggest concern is that if something breaks, I can get it repaired within 1-2 weeks.

I guess I'm asking for a face-off between the Everlast v Dynasty because although Miller is a USA company my understanding is that much of the Dynasty is made overseas - maybe even the same plant as the Everlast? So do I really get a 100% more value with the Dynasty?

Thank you!
In my opinion, Everlast and Dynasty are not even in the same class to be compared...

I won't even buy a cheap used Everlast.

But I don't mind at all buying 2 cheap, used, high quality, tested design machines.

All my machines of every type, including a few I bought new, don't add up to $7000 and I have a lot of choices to weld with for any situation.

Don't get me wrong, if I had $7000 and wanted one, I'd buy the dynasty 280 and smile every time I used it :)
Dave J.

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Like Dave said-there is no comparison. I've used a dynasty 200,210, 280, and 350 and I'll tell you what-those are some of the nicest arcs on the market in my opinion. I've ran mostly AC tig on them and it was so nice. Recently I got to run stick on a dynasty 200 and precision tig 275- that dynasty is now my favorite machine. It was just so smooth and problem free. I was overly impressed that when I stuck the rod, the machine stopped sending electricity-maybe it is normal, but I'm use to an old buzzbox. I would spend the money on a dynasty.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
cj737

The Dynasty is a benchmark TIG box. No 2 ways around it. Whether you require the amps from a 280 vs a 210 is the real question, and thats about a $2,000 question. If you will seldom use AC TIG on very thick aluminum, the 210 will perform nearly every function equally well. Even if you encounter some thick ally, a preheat will often get you through.

If I could afford it, sure, I'd buy the 280 and love myself for the next decade. But that $2k savings will pay for a very nice MIG box because the Dynasty is TIG/Stick only. I have a 2005 Dynasty 200Dx, and it still welds like day 1. I've invested $400 in it over that time for a replacement power relay and was without the box for 3 days at a local shop. Hard to beat that performance record and it has proved to me the brand is worth their reputation.
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

I'd look for a good ole Syncrowave 250 new or used, Iv'e had a couple of those and they are nearly bullet proof...
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225