Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

How can you measure value?
Miller power sources are used industrially day in year out. If there's a problem an authorised repairer usually isn't too far away with parts or access to parts quickly. Warranty repairs usually go smoothly, past warranty repairs go smoothly and fast as well.

Everlast power sources have to be posted back to them for warranty repair and also (correct me if I am wrong here) for post warranty repair because that's where the parts are at. Big down time. Also I still have not really heard from anyone using them industrially day in and year out. We've heard from some that have one for a couple of years and use it every week but not those that bash it all day every day year in year out so longevity is still not answered in my mind.
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

scorpion! wrote:Hey guys

Thanks for all the responses. I'm overwhelmed at how many people replied and offered helpful suggestions. It gave me a bit of thinking to do and some accompanying research.

I think I originally suggested a Sychrowave because I thought to myself, I have all this power available, why not take advantage of it. After more consideration there's really no advantage to running directly from the power supply rather than using an inverter. And I think a smaller unit might even be preferable. The reason being is that I have some big machines that can't be moved to a workshop - a 10,000lb blender, etc - and have to bring the welder there. I think moving a Dyansty or Everlast is a much more enjoyable task than moving the synchro :)

So now it's done to either a Dynasty 280 or Everlast 250. I would need the full kit. The Dynasty kit is around 6500-7000 vs the everlast which is around 3000.

I obviously prefer to spend 3k instead of 7k, but I can afford the 7k if I will really obtain that much more value from it.

I'm not going to be using it daily - probably a couple hours every few weeks. My biggest concern is that if something breaks, I can get it repaired within 1-2 weeks.

I guess I'm asking for a face-off between the Everlast v Dynasty because although Miller is a USA company my understanding is that much of the Dynasty is made overseas - maybe even the same plant as the Everlast? So do I really get a 100% more value with the Dynasty?

Thank you!
In my opinion, Everlast and Dynasty are not even in the same class to be compared...

I won't even buy a cheap used Everlast.

But I don't mind at all buying 2 cheap, used, high quality, tested design machines.

All my machines of every type, including a few I bought new, don't add up to $7000 and I have a lot of choices to weld with for any situation.

Don't get me wrong, if I had $7000 and wanted one, I'd buy the dynasty 280 and smile every time I used it :)
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Like Dave said-there is no comparison. I've used a dynasty 200,210, 280, and 350 and I'll tell you what-those are some of the nicest arcs on the market in my opinion. I've ran mostly AC tig on them and it was so nice. Recently I got to run stick on a dynasty 200 and precision tig 275- that dynasty is now my favorite machine. It was just so smooth and problem free. I was overly impressed that when I stuck the rod, the machine stopped sending electricity-maybe it is normal, but I'm use to an old buzzbox. I would spend the money on a dynasty.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

The Dynasty is a benchmark TIG box. No 2 ways around it. Whether you require the amps from a 280 vs a 210 is the real question, and thats about a $2,000 question. If you will seldom use AC TIG on very thick aluminum, the 210 will perform nearly every function equally well. Even if you encounter some thick ally, a preheat will often get you through.

If I could afford it, sure, I'd buy the 280 and love myself for the next decade. But that $2k savings will pay for a very nice MIG box because the Dynasty is TIG/Stick only. I have a 2005 Dynasty 200Dx, and it still welds like day 1. I've invested $400 in it over that time for a replacement power relay and was without the box for 3 days at a local shop. Hard to beat that performance record and it has proved to me the brand is worth their reputation.
    Mon Feb 09, 2015 4:48 pm

I'd look for a good ole Syncrowave 250 new or used, Iv'e had a couple of those and they are nearly bullet proof...
Pete

Esab SVI 300, Mig 4HD wire feeder, 30A spool gun, Miller Passport, Dynasty 300 DX, Coolmate 4, Spectrum 2050, C&K Cold Wire feeder WF-3, Black Gold Tungsten Sharperner, Prime Weld 225