Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

The lanthanated tungsten seems a little more friendly, but the first 3/4" or so behind the tip turns blackish blue.

Today I found that the aluminum wanted to blow out before it really formed a puddle, and sometimes the metal turned into a black foam. Also, something was blowing the molten filler rod away from the weld. It left lumps on the end of the rod, and I had to cut them off with pliers. I guess I'll figure it out.
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

You need to sit down and weld with someone experienced man - it will straighten out a lot of problems.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:You need to sit down and weld with someone experienced man - it will straighten out a lot of problems.
Right on! Even if it's just for a half hour or less. But a short term class or a nights or weekend class at a school would help too. Especially since you have some of the basics down.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Poland308 wrote:
MinnesotaDave wrote:You need to sit down and weld with someone experienced man - it will straighten out a lot of problems.
Right on! Even if it's just for a half hour or less. But a short term class or a nights or weekend class at a school would help too. Especially since you have some of the basics down.
Since he's taught himself off the internet, better at least double the time needed with the pro :lol:
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.

In South Florida, welding classes do not exist. I might be able to con the people at one of the local vocational high schools to let me spend $2000 on a class for people in a certificate program, but even I have better things to do than drive to class in heavy traffic three times a week for three months.

It's funny, because the American Welding Society is headquartered here. I'm not sure why. I guess they like South Beach.

They do offer courses in welding inspection, so it's completely possible for me to learn how to criticize other people's welds without actually being able to weld, myself.

No one in the Miami area can do ANYTHING. Can't weld. Can't build houses right. Can't fix a car. You name it; they can't do it. People arrive here from other countries, buy used Harbor Freight tools, and immediately start working at things they can't do. They price everyone else out of the market. As a result, there are no welding or machining programs here, but you can find them in rural towns like Ocala, where there is much less industry.
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

Chips O'Toole wrote:In South Florida, welding classes do not exist.
I'm surprised because there are so many community colleges in the Miami area. Welding is a curriculum in all the community colleges around here. Maybe they're teaching surfing and night clubbing around Miami.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch

It's very strange. Here's another strange thing: Miami is much bigger than Fort Lauderdale, and it's full of boats, but if you have a yacht that needs work, Fort Lauderdale is way better. Down here they just hack things up.

Luckily for me, I am working on moving out of this awful place.

My dad bought a sportfisherman in 1988, and when he needed an aluminum tuna tower, we had to take the boat clear to Fort Lauderdale. No one down here could weld it.

Chips O'Toole wrote:In South Florida, welding classes do not exist.
Really, and it's the home of AWS
Richard
Website