Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
mattharris
    Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:32 am

Hi

I am wondering what the consensus is between the Weldtec iHead Ball Joint torch and the CK Flex Loc. I am getting a water cooler to cut the heat and am probably going to get a 20 style torch.

My main concern is that the shape of the flex loc seems like it may be a bit awkward if you aren't welding in some funny position or configuration. I am looking for a main, one torch for nearly everything set up.

I have had great luck with CK torches in the past (unless you drive them way above rating for extended time) and the Flex Loc definitely intrigues me. I love CKs hoses and lines, and I have seen quite a few good reviews online.

It seems there are less reviews for the ball joint head, though it is the torch I am leaning towards at the moment. More familiar shape, comes with 2 heads, it looks cool. I really want to just buy both and then use the one I like best and save the other for a back up.

The problem is, I keep upgrading equipment in the shop - better welder, burned up torches, water cooler, better helmet. Now I 'NEED' a $300 torch to go with the water cooler. After beer money, my side hustle is bringing in no money but sucking up tons of time and the boss is getting mad that I am shirking family duties working in the garage for no financial benefit.

So it would be great if I could pull the trigger on the right torch this time. :-)

Anyway if you use the ball head, how are the hoses? Super stiff or good and flexible? Does the locking mechanism stay locked well or wear out?

Anyway, has anybody used both and have an opinion? Does anybody just love our hate one of these torches? Are we just talking Chevy vs Ford? (That would suck because I have a preference between Chevy and Ford but it can be debated eternally without consensus)

Thanks tons

Matt
Polobbie
    Fri Dec 04, 2015 3:35 pm

I can't speak for the Weldtec ball joint head, but I do have two water cooled CK FlexLoc torches with super flex hoses and absolutely love them. There has not been a position I've run across that these heads could not be adjusted to perfectly. I also like the the solid hold on the position once locked in place. There is no concern the head position will shift while getting into position or storing the torch between welds. I don't think I'll ever need to make a change. The quality and durability is what you would expect from CK, and if you ever need to contact CK's customer service, you will quickly realize you have a great group of reps eager to help and make things right should you have any problem with their products.
dave powelson
    Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:09 am

inserted comments
mattharris wrote:Hi

I am wondering what the consensus is between the Weldtec iHead Ball Joint torch and the CK Flex Loc. I am getting a water cooler to cut the heat and am probably going to get a 20 style torch.

My main concern is that the shape of the flex loc seems like it may be a bit awkward if you aren't welding in some funny position or configuration. I am looking for a main, one torch for nearly everything set up.

**been using #20 CK flex loc for 20 years. My main, go-to torch. On my 5th torch head. Super flex hoses.
[I was the first user of superflex, silicone jacketed hose set for the flex loc, after an argument/discussion with CK eng. 6 weeks later, at the paltry sum of $420, I had hoses to replace those gawd awful, vinyl hoses.]

--Awkward to use???...Absolutely---if one's never actually used one, just gandered at a pic.
It's an extremely ergometrically talented torch. If the head is not tightened hard, one can adjust the angle on the fly, in the doing, push, pull, drag, reverse. Easily adjusting the swivel head rather than adjusting one's body position with a fixed head.
That's 'Why?' I swear by it.

I have had great luck with CK torches in the past (unless you drive them way above rating for extended time) and the Flex Loc definitely intrigues me. I love CKs hoses and lines, and I have seen quite a few good reviews online.

It seems there are less reviews for the ball joint head, though it is the torch I am leaning towards at the moment. More familiar shape, comes with 2 heads, it looks cool. I really want to just buy both and then use the one I like best and save the other for a back up.

The problem is, I keep upgrading equipment in the shop - better welder, burned up torches, water cooler, better helmet.

Anyway if you use the ball head, how are the hoses? Super stiff or good and flexible? Does the locking mechanism stay locked well or wear out?

Matt
I haven't used the ball head.
Flex lock head is indirectly water cooled, so when pausing, I'll cool it with air blow off, to help extend the head life.
One can still run with it until the cup is just radiating too much heat. The cups are the main source of residual heat
buildup, retention and radiation.
*****I've just started trying the CK silicon carbide cups in high heat applications. They definitely run cooler than the
alumina cups....at a price, of coarse.****
Additionally, this head requires 50 psi to flow 1 qt./min thru, since it has more restriction in the passages than a fixed head.
I'm too desparately poor to afford cheap torch consumables, so I use CK.
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

long time user of Flexhead,with series 2 & 3 head, can be used on either side of the handle,super flex hose :D . With different size back cap, and lenses haven't found a place it didn't fit. I-head looks interesting, but not enough welding to invest for try out.
looks Like either would work for a first timer.
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
Just Nick
    Fri Apr 14, 2017 12:57 pm

I have both air cooled and water cooled CK flex loc torches I am a newbie and love them. they work with any angle I have had to try. I would get the CK any day
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Scroll to 2:40. I doubt you'd be able to do that with the ball-head torch. Could be mistaken though.

You should contact this guy

dave powelson

Plug welds inside AL airbox PT-19 a/c
P3150014 10w .jpg
P3150014 10w .jpg (36.3 KiB) Viewed 6519 times
mattharris
    Sat Apr 29, 2017 2:32 am

It seems the consensus is that EVERYBODY loves the flex loc. I love CK torches too. I think I am going to go CK. Thanks for all the advice.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

It may be that Ck 1st with largest advertising. I don't have $'s to compare side by side.. I had not heard of I-head till long after I had CK Flex. :o. Probably a place /use for each. ;)
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
Jakedaawg
    Mon Feb 16, 2015 8:45 pm

So, can you order just the torch and handle for the flex lock and put on the hoses and cables you already own? I have been wanting to get either one of these torches but I can not figure out how to order without it coming with hoses that I already have that came on the Dynasty.
Miller Dynasty 280 DX, Lincoln 210 MP, More tools than I have boxes for and a really messy shop.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Yes you can. What you need to do is to go to the manufacturer's websites and download the parts list PDF files so you can see all the parts breakdown numbers. Then do a google search, and you will likely see that you can order them from Cyberweld, Weldfabulous, or Weldingsuppliesfromioc.
dave powelson

Jakedaawg wrote:So, can you order just the torch and handle for the flex lock and put on the hoses and cables you already own? I have been wanting to get either one of these torches but I can not figure out how to order without it coming with hoses that I already have that came on the Dynasty.
CK hoses use threaded connections, much better than safety wire.
If you've got CK hoses, the flex loc will fit. Other brands, do what Oscar sez.