Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Hard to tell from the pic but is your AL clean? There's a whole lot going on there. Can you send a better pic?
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

If I get my machine too close to what I'm welding, the outlet from the cooling fan blows the shielding gas away and can make some pretty nasty looking welds.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
    Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:38 pm

exnailpounder wrote:Hard to tell from the pic but is your AL clean? There's a whole lot going on there. Can you send a better pic?
It was cleaned, I'll try some more tonight and take some more pics...

MarkL wrote:If I get my machine too close to what I'm welding, the outlet from the cooling fan blows the shielding gas away and can make some pretty nasty looking welds.
Yeah I know what you mean. I had the machine facing/blowing away from what I'm welding. No fans on, closed off shop.
exnailpounder

Mattwho777 wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:Hard to tell from the pic but is your AL clean? There's a whole lot going on there. Can you send a better pic?
Pics always help. Send in your settings too. Helps to know everything you're doing. We'll get it straightened out...we always do 8-)

exnailpounder wrote:
Mattwho777 wrote:
Pics always help. Send in your settings too. Helps to know everything you're doing. We'll get it straightened out...we always do 8-)
No problem

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk

Brand new s.s. brush. Wiped after brushing with alcohol. ImageImageImageImageImageImage

Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

What kind of filler metal are you using?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
exnailpounder

Hey Matt...are you having these problems when you add filler? What happens when you just try getting a puddle and then advancing with no filler? Gonna be a lot of questions as we have to use the process of elimination here. Another thing...what is your balance set at? I don't know your machine so if you can find out what the optimum balance setting is, set it there and try it and see what happens. Trying to eliminate everything before we get to gas. I'm leaning towards the machine settings because you don't have alot of black soot around your welds, they are just crapped up really bad so it might not be gas at all.
Last edited by exnailpounder on Fri May 05, 2017 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Your gas supplier should analyze your bottle for free, if you take to them. I would do this. The last likely cause beyond a gas issue (since it welds fine on DC) is an internal machine issue with the AC mode. Everlast is great at handling those, but I'd rule out the gas first for certainty.

The last time I experienced welds like this on HFAC aluminum was with a water-cooled torch, and I discovered the company the machines were rented from used (hard Pennsylvania) tap water and cheap automotive antifreeze for coolant. The HF would conduct through this mess, and I don't understand the damage, but it would start welding like yours, so I suspect a machine issue.

Steve
exnailpounder

Otto Nobedder wrote:Your gas supplier should analyze your bottle for free, if you take to them. I would do this. The last likely cause beyond a gas issue (since it welds fine on DC) is an internal machine issue with the AC mode. Everlast is great at handling those, but I'd rule out the gas first for certainty.

The last time I experienced welds like this on HFAC aluminum was with a water-cooled torch, and I discovered the company the machines were rented from used (hard Pennsylvania) tap water and cheap automotive antifreeze for coolant. The HF would conduct through this mess, and I don't understand the damage, but it would start welding like yours, so I suspect a machine issue.

Steve
Hey Steve...I'm with you on machine problems...if it was gas he would have soot around the welds...he is getting cleaning action but it's very erratic so it might just be a balance problem or a very long arc.
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

And for clarity sake, what exactly is the spec on the aluminum? Some ally is non-weldable-
exnailpounder

All aluminum alloys will weld. The ones considered "unweldable" can and probably will crack.

exnailpounder wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:Your gas supplier should analyze your bottle for free, if you take to them. I would do this. The last likely cause beyond a gas issue (since it welds fine on DC) is an internal machine issue with the AC mode. Everlast is great at handling those, but I'd rule out the gas first for certainty.

Steve
Hey Steve...I'm with you on machine problems...if it was gas he would have soot around the welds...he is getting cleaning action but it's very erratic so it might just be a balance problem or a very long arc.
If it's not the material then I think it is a ac problem with the machine. I tried the ac balance from 20-50 and still had the problems.

exnailpounder

It's almost assuredly not a material problem if it's good, clean AL. By the way..how thick is your material?
I'm pretty sure your manufacturer will suggest ideal settings for balance. If your balance is way off, you will have nothing but problems. It's pretty common for new AL welders to show up here with exactly the same problems you're having and it is almost never a machine defect. Your balance should remain around the ideal setting except when you encounter really dirty material. It looks to me like you are way into the cleaning side of balance so that's why I keep hinting at finding the correct setting.

Farmwelding wrote:What kind of filler metal are you using?
4043Image

exnailpounder wrote:It's almost assuredly not a material problem if it's good, clean AL. By the way..how thick is your material?
I'm pretty sure your manufacturer will suggest ideal settings for balance. If your balance is way off, you will have nothing but problems. It's pretty common for new AL welders to show up here with exactly the same problems you're having and it is almost never a machine defect. Your balance should remain around the ideal setting except when you encounter really dirty material. It looks to me like you are way into the cleaning side of balance so that's why I keep hinting at finding the correct setting.
35% is the recommended setting on balance. I started there then also tried going down a bit trying over and again until I went down to 20. Then going little by little until I reached 50.

http://www.everlastgenerators.com/blog/ ... 842c06.jpg[/img]

exnailpounder

If your metal is clean then leave the machine at 35%. Is your arc wandering all over when you light up? Is your tungsten balling up ok? You never did say what thickness your metal was. Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but are you waiting for a puddle to form before you advance? What type of tungsten are you using?

exnailpounder wrote:If your metal is clean then leave the machine at 35%. Is your arc wandering all over when you light up? Is your tungsten balling up ok? You never did say what thickness your metal was. Sorry if this sounds like a stupid question but are you waiting for a puddle to form before you advance? What type of tungsten are you using?
Arc does wander. Tungsten does not ball up. 1/8" material.

I'm waiting for the material to mirror finish before advancing.

Using blue tungsten

exnailpounder

Ok. I have suggested that you are too far into the cleaning side of balance. I run my machine a little bit into the penetration side, that keeps the arc focused and keeps the ball small. Go a few numbers into the penetration side( i don't know your machine so bear with me) not much, just a couple percent. See if your arc still wanders and if your tungsten balls a little bit. Don't use any filler , just try to get a puddle and when and if you do, try to advance forward and see if you can duplicate the puddle again. Don't move your balance knob in huge leaps...a little goes a long way with balance settings and keep your arc length short as too long of an arc length will cause it to wander badly.
Warrenh
    Thu Apr 27, 2017 12:31 pm

Mattwho777 wrote:Using blue tungsten

Is there any chance you have some anodized aluminum?

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

exnailpounder wrote:Ok. I have suggested that you are too far into the cleaning side of balance. I run my machine a little bit into the penetration side, that keeps the arc focused and keeps the ball small. Go a few numbers into the penetration side( i don't know your machine so bear with me) not much, just a couple percent. See if your arc still wanders and if your tungsten balls a little bit. Don't use any filler , just try to get a puddle and when and if you do, try to advance forward and see if you can duplicate the puddle again. Don't move your balance knob in huge leaps...a little goes a long way with balance settings and keep your arc length short as too long of an arc length will cause it to wander badly.
Alright I'll give it a try and see how it goes.