It is currently Sun Aug 20, 2017 3:08 pm Advanced search

BAD GAS/WRONG GAS

Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

Re: BAD GAS/WRONG GAS

Postby exnailpounder » Sun May 07, 2017 10:21 am

MarkL wrote:
Mattwho777 wrote:I took out the cheap gas lens I purchased. Put in the one that came with the machine.

I learned a lot from this thread, there's a few things I'd like to make sure I've got right:
Did the machine come with a gas lens or a standard collet body?
During the original diagnosis, it seemed like you were able to weld steel OK with the cheap gas lens, is that true? If so I'm not sure why the results on aluminum were so bad. I would have thought the cheap gas lens would have done rather poorly on steel as well.

Mark...check this out.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM28MIhmneU
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger

Postby Mattwho777 » Sun May 07, 2017 10:24 am

MarkL wrote:
Mattwho777 wrote:I took out the cheap gas lens I purchased. Put in the one that came with the machine.

I learned a lot from this thread, there's a few things I'd like to make sure I've got right:
Did the machine come with a gas lens or a standard collet body?
During the original diagnosis, it seemed like you were able to weld steel OK with the cheap gas lens, is that true? If so I'm not sure why the results on aluminum were so bad. I would have thought the cheap gas lens would have done rather poorly on steel as well.

Yes it came with a regular collet body. The gas lens was from eBay.

Sent from my MotoG3 using Tapatalk
Mattwho777

Postby Mattwho777 » Sun May 07, 2017 10:28 am

exnailpounder wrote:Glad you figured it out! Much better! Now you can appreciate how much is going on while tig welding. Once you get everything dialed in, you should only have to tweak your settings once in awhile or use some of your bells and whistles. Another tiggerator joins the ranks! Ps...even good gas lenses are cheap. I think I paid $5 for a Miller brand lens last time I was at the LWS. Good luck!

Yeah I picked up a large gas lens but they gave me the wrong insulator at the LWS. So I was using the smaller style ones from eBay.
Thanks again....

Mattwho777

Postby MarkL » Sun May 07, 2017 1:49 pm

exnailpounder wrote:Mark...check this out.https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yM28MIhmneU

Interesting. I feel like I need to have a gold standard lens that I know works but I never use it, I just pull it out when everything is going to hell and see if it fixes the problem.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
MarkL
Guide

Postby MarkL » Sun May 07, 2017 1:55 pm

Mattwho777 wrote:Yes it came with a regular collet body. The gas lens was from eBay.

Well if it's any consolation, I just had a gas lens do about the same thing and it came from a reputable company and I paid good money for it. I gave up trying to figure out what was wrong and tossed it. It looked like brand new, had worked fine for a month, and when I replaced it with an identical lens from the same company, everything worked fine. So I know it was the lens but have no idea what was wrong with it.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
MarkL
Guide

Postby Mattwho777 » Tue May 09, 2017 10:34 am

I was thinking about ordering a set off Amazon so I could get multiple different cup sizes but now I think I'm just going to go to the LWS and buy just one and see if it works or not. The large gas lens is the one I want to use but like I said they gave me the wrong insulator and It was not sealing right. :roll:
Mattwho777

Postby Olivero » Tue May 09, 2017 12:45 pm

Mattwho777 wrote:I was thinking about ordering a set off Amazon so I could get multiple different cup sizes but now I think I'm just going to go to the LWS and buy just one and see if it works or not. The large gas lens is the one I want to use but like I said they gave me the wrong insulator and It was not sealing right. :roll:

I always get my torch supplies from the LWS, that way I can bring it back and say "HEY! This shait doesen't work"

Doesn't feel the same with Amazon.
if there's a welder, there's a way
Olivero
Ace

Postby Mattwho777 » Tue May 09, 2017 12:53 pm

Olivero wrote:
Mattwho777 wrote:I was thinking about ordering a set off Amazon so I could get multiple different cup sizes but now I think I'm just going to go to the LWS and buy just one and see if it works or not. The large gas lens is the one I want to use but like I said they gave me the wrong insulator and It was not sealing right. :roll:

I always get my torch supplies from the LWS, that way I can bring it back and say "HEY! This shait doesen't work"

I guess I'll just take my torch head off and take it with me next time. Might save myself a trip.

Mattwho777

Postby Olivero » Tue May 09, 2017 2:10 pm

Mattwho777 wrote:
Olivero wrote:

I guess I'll just take my torch head off and take it with me next time. Might save myself a trip.

They do their best but there are so many different types of everything in the welding world, I don't blame them.... every time, most of the time I do. But not every time :lol:
if there's a welder, there's a way
Olivero
Ace

Postby exnailpounder » Tue May 09, 2017 5:29 pm

Even good gas lenses are cheap and Like Olivero said, you can take it back and bitch at 'em if it doesn't work. Are you talking about the teflon insulator for the gas lens? I use one only because I bought a few by mistake but (arguably) they aren't necessary but that's another argument for another day 8-)
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
exnailpounder
Weldmonger

PreviousNext

Return to Tig Welding - Tig Welding Aluminum - Tig Welding Techniques - Aluminum Tig Welding