Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:38 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
Mattwho777 wrote:I was thinking about ordering a set off Amazon so I could get multiple different cup sizes but now I think I'm just going to go to the LWS and buy just one and see if it works or not. The large gas lens is the one I want to use but like I said they gave me the wrong insulator and It was not sealing right. :roll:
Even good gas lenses are cheap and Like Olivero said, you can take it back and bitch at 'em if it doesn't work. Are you talking about the teflon insulator for the gas lens? I use one only because I bought a few by mistake but (arguably) they aren't necessary but that's another argument for another day 8-)
No I wasn't mad a the LWS. I just have another Large Dia. gas lens that I haven't been able to use because they gave me the wrong Teflon insulator. Hopefully that one does better than the one I was using before.

exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Mattwho777 wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:
Mattwho777 wrote:I was thinking about ordering a set off Amazon so I could get multiple different cup sizes but now I think I'm just going to go to the LWS and buy just one and see if it works or not. The large gas lens is the one I want to use but like I said they gave me the wrong insulator and It was not sealing right. :roll:
Even good gas lenses are cheap and Like Olivero said, you can take it back and bitch at 'em if it doesn't work. Are you talking about the teflon insulator for the gas lens? I use one only because I bought a few by mistake but (arguably) they aren't necessary but that's another argument for another day 8-)
No I wasn't mad a the LWS. I just have another Large Dia. gas lens that I haven't been able to use because they gave me the wrong Teflon insulator. Hopefully that one does better than the one I was using before.
You can use that lens without the insulator. Your lens threads into the torch body right? The insulator does nothing to seal the torch from air inclusion. If you look at it, it will make sense. Can't even say how many times I have had "that" argument. :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

IMG_0299.JPG
IMG_0299.JPG (60.33 KiB) Viewed 1433 times
I got lucky. I was at the LWS and asked about Pyrex gas lenses. They dug one out of a box and gave it to me to try. Liked it so much now I'm going to have to buy more sizes.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Poland308 wrote:
IMG_0299.JPG
I got lucky. I was at the LWS and asked about Pyrex gas lenses. They dug one out of a box and gave it to me to try. Liked it so much now I'm going to have to buy more sizes.
That's the one I would really like to have. Let us know what you think.
exnailpounder

If they gave it to you then the price was right but after all I have read, I wouldn't pay the "left nut" asking price for one.
Poland308

I love it. I was able to get down in a deep recess on that aluminum casting but still see. And it was a noticeable difference in gas coverage over the standard gas lenses I have with alumina cups.

Josh
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

Weeeeeell. I never tried a gas lens, I told Nail I would... but I never did.

I like the alumina cups.
if there's a welder, there's a way
exnailpounder

Olivero wrote:Weeeeeell. I never tried a gas lens, I told Nail I would... but I never did.

I like the alumina cups.
You never tried a gas lens???? :cry:
Poland308

I've got standard ones with alumina cups but I don't use them much. But this one from CK is a whole step up in how the welds turn out.

Josh

exnailpounder wrote:
Olivero wrote:Weeeeeell. I never tried a gas lens, I told Nail I would... but I never did.

I like the alumina cups.
You never tried a gas lens???? :cry:
Aw shaite. Here we go.

No, I never did. I know... I know........

I just couldn't bring myself too it. so I bought a box of cups instead :lol:
jernigan78
    Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:20 pm

Aloha guys. I almost always use a gas lens. Tried it when I first started to tig and never went back. M. Furick now makes clear cups that can handle being used for AC. And let me say they are sweet. Makes it so much easier to see whats going on. I also use Furick cups a lot for stainless, and the coverage is the best. Pics below are all with clear cups/gas lenses.
#1. the first test run on aluminum when I got my Dynasty. Pretty much just playin around and getting a feel for the machine.
#2. Some leveling feet I made yesterday for a new milling bench im making. Only running 15CFH gas. almost no color.
#3. Screenshot of the M. Furick website showing his ally cups. Good stuff. (and no I don't work there, haha) http://furickcup.com/furickshop/
Attachments
furick ally cup.JPG
furick ally cup.JPG (31.49 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
leveling feet.jpg
leveling feet.jpg (186.34 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
cube.jpg
cube.jpg (116.94 KiB) Viewed 1414 times
jernigan78
    Thu Apr 20, 2017 4:20 pm

ok... reverse the order in my previous post. lol. They came out in the reverse order of what I uploaded them in.

Alright, now that's some cups I am willing to try, I emailed you guys asking some questions.
Motomazzo
    Wed May 17, 2017 12:18 pm

I had a bad bottle of Argon just a few weeks ago. It's been in my shop for 5-6 years or so. Gas was okay(noble gasses don't go bad) but apparently, there was moisture or corrosion or whatever in the bottle. Couldn't keep the black bits out of my welds on aluminum for anything. Mild steel was not much better. Finally, neighbor across the street brought over his bottle of Argon. After we purged the lines, it was like night and day. We switched back and forth several times and each time we could duplicate the symptoms. I returned the bottle with 500 psi left. Got an exchange and blew through the entire bottle, no issues whatsoever....except the ones which were entirely my fault. :-)