Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
jroark
    Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:39 pm

Hey guys. I found a Lincoln precision tig 185 barely used and comes with a bottle and filler rods. My question is could this machine do aluminum handrails? I know I could get a mixed bottle with Helium in it and that would help but would it help enough? If I wasn't trying to make decent time preheat and all that stuff wouldn't be too bad but doing rails and trying to somewhat hurry I'm just wondering if I need a bigger machine. Bigger is better I know but would I be ok with the 185?
'Stang
    Sun Aug 03, 2014 11:12 pm

What is the wall thickness of the handrails ?
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

I think you could do 1/8" and maybe 3/16" aluminum depending on joint configuration, but at max current the machine only has 15% duty cycle and even at 130A it only has 35% duty cycle. So you can't be in a hurry. I used this machine when I took welding classes, it's really a nice machine.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
jroark

I don't mean in a hurry so much but trying to make money. Schedule 40 pipe more than likely. It's priced at around $1500. Hardly used except for hobby use and farm.
Would it be a better buy than a new Squarewave tig 200?
MarkL

jroark wrote: Would it be a better buy than a new Squarewave tig 200?
I don't know if it's a better buy, but it's a different buy. One is a transformer machine that weighs 200#, the other an inverter that weighs 50. The squarewave has enough extra output to make a difference for what you're trying to do. It has 25% duty cycle at 200A. It will also run off 110v. So it depends on what's most important to you. For reference, when I bought my squarewave 200 last year I got it for $1399 and they threw in an 80cf bottle of gas for free. I thought that was generous, but I never shopped around so I don't know if most places would do that or not.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
jroark

They're $1449 now but close in price. I like the portability of the new machine. How do you like yours so far? Have you really worked it? How did it hold up?
MarkL

jroark wrote:They're $1449 now but close in price. I like the portability of the new machine. How do you like yours so far? Have you really worked it? How did it hold up?
I've used it a lot on both mild steel and aluminum and I'm very happy. Portability is nice, I need to take it out to barn or the field once in awhile. There are a few things that I wish were different- the arc start is a bit harsh but I've gotten used to that so it doesn't bother me any more. I use pulse a fair bit because I do a lot of thin material. I wish the pulse had %on and background, and had higher frequency. But it does the job with the basic functionality provided. I normally set my machine at max current no matter what I'm welding, but there's no way to control the postflow so at 200A you get about 15-20 seconds of flow which wastes a good bit of gas on light material. So I've retrained myself to set the machine to some current not too much higher than what I think I'll need. You can get more features for the money if you buy something like an Everlast or AHP, depends how comfortable you are with the warranty service issue.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC