Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Oilman
    Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:30 pm

So I was going to build a tig cooler. Then my son texted me some pictures of some welders his boss bought at an auction and in one of them I noticed a Bernard cooler. A few texts later and I got it for $75.

So it was a bit of a mess and I am rebuilding it today. Radiator was plugged with black gunk. Procon pump was DOA. No worries i had just bought one. New hoses are going in next and I will run a flush through the radiator before hooking it up.

This is what i noticed. The stainless steel pan that holds the coolant is simply the equivalent of a restaurant chafer pan. So if anyone is considering building a cooler this would be an easy way to get a pan.

http://www.webstaurantstore.com/vollrat ... 58351.html

All one would have to do is make the cover. and put a few holes in it. Add a gasket, transmission cooler, pump with fan on the back of the motor, and some hose and a cover and you would have the equivalent to a Bernard cooler.

I just can't see the $750 price tag. I might have $200 into it when I'm done. and mostly stainless steel besides.
1969 Idealarc 250
Miller 200 MIG
Everlast 200DV
Micro welder

Nice find, would like before, during and after pics if you don't mind
Richard
Website
Oilman
    Sat Jul 02, 2016 5:30 pm

Well, sorry I am way beyond the before stage.

I might post a finished pic.

There is some rust here and there on the cabinet. Also the radiator shows some signs that it might have a leak so it might get tossed and a replacement installed.

Expect I'll paint it. Maybe after a tig cart is built I'll do a run down with the build.
1969 Idealarc 250
Miller 200 MIG
Everlast 200DV
Micro welder
    Fri Oct 02, 2015 8:37 am

They are pretty simple devices. Though there's a limited market, can't imagine they sell that many.

Then again there is time. I assemble my own with a refurb Procon, a new motor, radiator and fan out of an old Zip chilled water unit and I tig'd up a copper tank. Cheapish with all new/refurb parts pretty much at about $250 but I did spend most of the day building it. I enjoy that kinda thing though, but if I was tight of time like I am at the moment I'd probably just buy one.

Edit. It uses a tray not a tank?
Nowadays people know the price of everything and the value of nothing... Oscar Wilde