Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Lightning
    Wed Aug 24, 2016 9:55 pm

exnailpounder wrote:What's the difference between a vitamin and a hormone? You can make a vitamin. Get it?
Ain't nuthin tricky about making a hormone. Just don't pay 'er!
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Speaking of hormones and wive's that don't listen...here is a good joke. :lol:

Deaf Sex

Two deaf people get married and during the first week of marriage they find that they are unable to communicate in the bedroom with the lights out since they can't see each other signing, or read lips. After several nights of fumbling around and many misunderstandings, the wife figures out a solution.

She writes a note to her husband: 'Honey, why don't we agree on some simple signals? For instance, at night, if you want to have sex with me, reach over and squeeze my left breast one time. If you don't want to have sex, reach over and squeeze my right breast two times.

The husband thinks this is a great idea. He writes back to his wife that if she wants to have sex with him, reach over and pull on his penis one time. If she doesn't want to have sex, pull on his penis two hundred and fifty times.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

love where these threads go, who needs TV...
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

motox wrote:love where these threads go, who needs TV...
:lol: Oh lawdy..you couldn't have said it any better :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

electrode wrote:Speaking of hormones and wive's that don't listen...here is a good joke. :lol:

Deaf Sex

Two deaf people get married and during the first week of marriage they find that they are unable to communicate in the bedroom with the lights out since they can't see each other signing, or read lips. After several nights of fumbling around and many misunderstandings, the wife figures out a solution.

She writes a note to her husband: 'Honey, why don't we agree on some simple signals? For instance, at night, if you want to have sex with me, reach over and squeeze my left breast one time. If you don't want to have sex, reach over and squeeze my right breast two times.

The husband thinks this is a great idea. He writes back to his wife that if she wants to have sex with him, reach over and pull on his penis one time. If she doesn't want to have sex, pull on his penis two hundred and fifty times.

:lol: :lol: :lol:
Two years ago, I'd probably have deleted that out-of-hand. Today, I cut-and-pasted it to share with my boss.

The times, they are a-changin'

Steve

We probably should be a little more restrained on these jokes. As fun as they are, we have new members every day, and I'd hate for us to be misunderstood before they get to know us.

Steve
electrode

Otto Nobedder wrote:We probably should be a little more restrained on these jokes. As fun as they are, we have new members every day, and I'd hate for us to be misunderstood before they get to know us.

Steve
So after their first hijacked thread they should know us pretty well, huh? :D (Exnailpounder and Farm boy) :o
exnailpounder

electrode wrote:
Otto Nobedder wrote:We probably should be a little more restrained on these jokes. As fun as they are, we have new members every day, and I'd hate for us to be misunderstood before they get to know us.

Steve
So after their first hijacked thread they should know us pretty well, huh? :D (Exnailpounder and Farm boy) :o
Yeah right! This was MY thread you guys hi-jacked...I have no idea how to jack my own thread :lol: New people need to realize that this isn't like the other sites where egos rule. We have very little of that here and the super stars usually come and go pretty quickly. It's nice that total noobs can show up here and ask questions without fear of ridicule...they just can't fear a thread-jack...cause it's gonna happen...when Farmboy shows up :lol:
    Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:31 pm

We've jettisoned the use of 4043 for 4943 on 6xxx TIG back in 2015. Our decision was based on the net gained increase in yield/tensile strength of welded 4943, especially in fillet joints. From our perspective, the added Mg of 4943 provides a subtle edge in weld pool fluidity and wet-in during arclight. 4043 is fine and is used everyday by fabricators with excellent results. Our LWS also supports our interests and sources the 4943 in 10# stacks for us at an excellent price.

5356 and 4047 are additional weapons of choice for us, based on 5xxx, cast, and Anodized applications. Other Aluminum alloy fillers ride along for fringes for unique applications and base metal matching.

If you are unable to weld properly using 4043, 4943 will not solve your issues. Focused hood time via training, intent, and material preparation will.

Discover the industry motivation, concept of base metal dilution with welded Aluminum alloys, and comparative metallurgy properties of 4943 and 4043 at ITW - Development of Alloy 4943.
Purpose, then passion. Practitionership. Obsession and hard work. That's the discipline.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
electrode wrote:

Steve
Yeah right! This was MY thread you guys hi-jacked...I have no idea how to jack my own thread :lol: New people need to realize that this isn't like the other sites where egos rule. We have very little of that here and the super stars usually come and go pretty quickly. It's nice that total noobs can show up here and ask questions without fear of ridicule...they just can't fear a thread-jack...cause it's gonna happen...when Farmboy shows up :lol:
The only reason I became so connected to this forum is because of how laid back it is. The fact that you can thoroughly AND I MEAN THOROUGHLY derail these thread time and time again and still answer the persons question is what makes it awesome :D

I got a sick new build I did yesterday to swagger up my refrigeration work with a spanky new cart, gonna post some pictures later.

Wondering how its related to this thread? It's all done with 4943, BAM! supreme strength :lol:
if there's a welder, there's a way

I agree completely. All I was suggesting was that we choose our jokes carefully. It's an area where I catch myself being competitive, and I have to police myself carefully to not put up something that could sound racist or otherwise potentially offensive to any of our members. Sometimes, alcohol has affected my judgement, and I've posted the inappropriate... only to see it on the page, and quickly take it down. When it's too much for the forum, I've been known to share via PM.

Steve
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Arclight Ironworks wrote:We've jettisoned the use of 4043 for 4943 on 6xxx TIG back in 2015. Our decision was based on the net gained increase in yield/tensile strength of welded 4943, especially in fillet joints. From our perspective, the added Mg of 4943 provides a subtle edge in weld pool fluidity and wet-in during arclight. 4043 is fine and is used everyday by fabricators with excellent results. Our LWS also supports our interests and sources the 4943 in 10# stacks for us at an excellent price.

5356 and 4047 are additional weapons of choice for us, based on 5xxx, cast, and Anodized applications. Other Aluminum alloy fillers ride along for fringes for unique applications and base metal matching.

If you are unable to weld properly using 4043, 4943 will not solve your issues. Focused hood time via training, intent, and material preparation will.

Discover the industry motivation, concept of base metal dilution with welded Aluminum alloys, and comparative metallurgy properties of 4943 and 4043 at ITW - Development of Alloy 4943.
I've read other, shorter versions that appear to come from this document - I think that's an excellent write-up on 4943

Their conclusion is pretty direct in favor of 4943.
image.jpeg
image.jpeg (29.16 KiB) Viewed 1478 times
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:I agree completely. All I was suggesting was that we choose our jokes carefully. It's an area where I catch myself being competitive, and I have to police myself carefully to not put up something that could sound racist or otherwise potentially offensive to any of our members. Sometimes, alcohol has affected my judgement, and I've posted the inappropriate... only to see it on the page, and quickly take it down. When it's too much for the forum, I've been known to share via PM.

Steve
Strictly person opinion, I find the sexual innuendo derails to be ridiculous.
Members bragging about "teaching" this stuff to young people is even worse.

I'm not saying I've always shown perfect judgement online, I'm human so clearly I haven't.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
kiwi2wheels
    Sun Feb 17, 2013 10:27 am

Otto Nobedder wrote:I agree completely. All I was suggesting was that we choose our jokes carefully. It's an area where I catch myself being competitive, and I have to police myself carefully to not put up something that could sound racist or otherwise potentially offensive to any of our members. Sometimes, alcohol has affected my judgement, and I've posted the inappropriate... only to see it on the page, and quickly take it down. When it's too much for the forum, I've been known to share via PM.

Steve
I'll stick my neck out and say that the likelihood of that happening here is about the same as that of hell freezing over ! :mrgreen:
exnailpounder

Post away Olivero...you know me...I don't care. 8-)
exnailpounder

MinnesotaDave wrote:

Steve

I'm not saying I've always shown perfect judgement online, I'm human so clearly I haven't.
I'm not quite sure, but I have a feeling that was aimed at me.
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

Does barkeepers friend polish a halo?

Cause mine is a little tarnished. And dented. At the pawn shop. :lol:
exnailpounder

PeteM wrote:Does barkeepers friend polish a halo?

Good question :lol: I set my halo down at a party one night and never saw it again. Nowadays, young kids are sexting dirty pics to each other and screwing the teachers...and welders who have been participants in life are the new scourge....we need a "shaking my head" emoticon.
PeteM
    Sat Dec 03, 2016 11:28 am

exnailpounder wrote:....we need a "shaking my head" emoticon.
Sorry. Thats at the pawn shop too. Old habits, ya know? :)
electrode

200.gif
200.gif (77.16 KiB) Viewed 1405 times
nelson
    Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:21 pm

1. Learn to tie your shoes.
2. Learn to cross the street.
3. Learn to take a joke.
I'm pretty liberal but all the PC stuff is just a distraction from reality. Less fun, too!

Arclight... the data in your link makes me like 4043 for its structural properties. I weld my own designs so strong gets me to sleep an hour sooner after hitting the pillow. I have enough to worry about.
Specifically higher tensile.
Last edited by nelson on Sat May 13, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stone knives and bearskins.....and a NEW EVERLAST 164SI !!!
That's my newly shared work welder.
At home I got a Power Tig 185 DV. Nice, but no plasma cutting... Nice tight arc after a second.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
PeteM wrote:Does barkeepers friend polish a halo?

Good question :lol: I set my halo down at a party one night and never saw it again. Nowadays, young kids are sexting dirty pics to each other and screwing the teachers...and welders who have been participants in life are the new scourge....we need a "shaking my head" emoticon.
Back on track here for a second,

Here is the cart I was talking about.
Loaded up, lacking a couple of things.
Loaded up, lacking a couple of things.
IMG_2118.JPG (49.22 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
Side ciew
Side ciew
IMG_2119.JPG (41.08 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
Know that time on a job where you need a place close by to put that small thing that always gets knocked off wherever you put it? My concept was to fix that by having a worktable that can hinge around in any way I need to provide the best spot for me, doesen't hold much weight as its not supported anywhere but the hinge but enough for handtools and schrader cores and putting the brazing torch down for a moment and such things.
Hinged out one way, does 360*
Hinged out one way, does 360*
IMG_2124.JPG (40.92 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
Hinged the other way.
Hinged the other way.
IMG_2122.JPG (44.87 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
Got some weld on hinges, big monsters these ones. 6" or so long.
Close up of hinge
Close up of hinge
IMG_2123.JPG (32.59 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
added some I bolts to strap in the bottles when its rollin'.
Hinge feature view
Hinge feature view
IMG_2127.JPG (52.61 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
With the bag.
With the bag.
IMG_2128.JPG (55.57 KiB) Viewed 1519 times
All in all, pretty happy about it, it was all built out of leftovers from other fabrication projects or repair jobs. Been laying on a shelf somewhere for months, figured I might as well put it to use.
if there's a welder, there's a way

Very nice! Nice enough to get the topic back on the rails, at least to the next depot.

Well thought out, and well organized.
Who makes the li'l vacuum pump? It looks like an Edwards, but I can't tell at that size and resolution.

Steve

MinnesotaDave wrote:

Yeah, the sexual references show the hidden 12 year-old in all of us, and it's a place we don't really need to go, unless the joke is truly flawless and not utterly tasteless. I'll confess to a bit of that on the thread derail of our new "Mick" from OZ, where it descended into strange town names.

Braggarts don't last long here, from what I've seen.

I think part of why I mentioned it at all is to remind myself to be careful. I'm supposed to be part of the example, not the problem.

Steve
exnailpounder

Nice work Olivero! Nice vacuum pump...whadda ya use that for ;) It's vodka and lemonade today if anyone was wondering.