Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
nelson
    Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:21 pm

1. Learn to tie your shoes.
2. Learn to cross the street.
3. Learn to take a joke.
I'm pretty liberal but all the PC stuff is just a distraction from reality. Less fun, too!

Arclight... the data in your link makes me like 4043 for its structural properties. I weld my own designs so strong gets me to sleep an hour sooner after hitting the pillow. I have enough to worry about.
Specifically higher tensile.
Last edited by nelson on Sat May 13, 2017 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Stone knives and bearskins.....and a NEW EVERLAST 164SI !!!
That's my newly shared work welder.
At home I got a Power Tig 185 DV. Nice, but no plasma cutting... Nice tight arc after a second.
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
PeteM wrote:Does barkeepers friend polish a halo?

Cause mine is a little tarnished. And dented. At the pawn shop. :lol:
Good question :lol: I set my halo down at a party one night and never saw it again. Nowadays, young kids are sexting dirty pics to each other and screwing the teachers...and welders who have been participants in life are the new scourge....we need a "shaking my head" emoticon.
Back on track here for a second,

Here is the cart I was talking about.
Loaded up, lacking a couple of things.
Loaded up, lacking a couple of things.
IMG_2118.JPG (49.22 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
Side ciew
Side ciew
IMG_2119.JPG (41.08 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
Know that time on a job where you need a place close by to put that small thing that always gets knocked off wherever you put it? My concept was to fix that by having a worktable that can hinge around in any way I need to provide the best spot for me, doesen't hold much weight as its not supported anywhere but the hinge but enough for handtools and schrader cores and putting the brazing torch down for a moment and such things.
Hinged out one way, does 360*
Hinged out one way, does 360*
IMG_2124.JPG (40.92 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
Hinged the other way.
Hinged the other way.
IMG_2122.JPG (44.87 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
Got some weld on hinges, big monsters these ones. 6" or so long.
Close up of hinge
Close up of hinge
IMG_2123.JPG (32.59 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
added some I bolts to strap in the bottles when its rollin'.
Hinge feature view
Hinge feature view
IMG_2127.JPG (52.61 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
With the bag.
With the bag.
IMG_2128.JPG (55.57 KiB) Viewed 1520 times
All in all, pretty happy about it, it was all built out of leftovers from other fabrication projects or repair jobs. Been laying on a shelf somewhere for months, figured I might as well put it to use.
if there's a welder, there's a way
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

Very nice! Nice enough to get the topic back on the rails, at least to the next depot.

Well thought out, and well organized.
Who makes the li'l vacuum pump? It looks like an Edwards, but I can't tell at that size and resolution.

Steve
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

MinnesotaDave wrote:
Strictly person opinion, I find the sexual innuendo derails to be ridiculous.
Members bragging about "teaching" this stuff to young people is even worse.

I'm not saying I've always shown perfect judgement online, I'm human so clearly I haven't.
Yeah, the sexual references show the hidden 12 year-old in all of us, and it's a place we don't really need to go, unless the joke is truly flawless and not utterly tasteless. I'll confess to a bit of that on the thread derail of our new "Mick" from OZ, where it descended into strange town names.

Braggarts don't last long here, from what I've seen.

I think part of why I mentioned it at all is to remind myself to be careful. I'm supposed to be part of the example, not the problem.

Steve
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Nice work Olivero! Nice vacuum pump...whadda ya use that for ;) It's vodka and lemonade today if anyone was wondering.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

exnailpounder wrote:Nice work Olivero! Nice vacuum pump...whadda ya use that for ;) It's vodka and lemonade today if anyone was wondering.
Is there a schedule or do you have a wheel you spin like a game show?

As for that pump cart-wow I don't know what I'd do with that but I've gotta have it because who doesn't need more cool tools they don't need-but I'm sure you need them.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick

Haha, thanks.

The vacuum pump is a JB industries.

It was a cool little project, I got tired of rolling it around on a magliner and dropping shit off it, vacuum pump and recovery unit is considered holy in my book, no bumping or damaging it, they develop a leak, your screwed, so I figured this was the best way.

ITs funny how when you first start out fabbing, you gotta have a drawing, this I built without any drawing, just going off in my mind, piecing it together.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Farmwelding wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:Nice work Olivero! Nice vacuum pump...whadda ya use that for ;) It's vodka and lemonade today if anyone was wondering.
Is there a schedule or do you have a wheel you spin like a game show?

As for that pump cart-wow I don't know what I'd do with that but I've gotta have it because who doesn't need more cool tools they don't need-but I'm sure you need them.
Nah...I just look at whatever I have in the fridge and decide what to drink that day.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

"ITs funny how when you first start out fabbing, you gotta have a drawing, this I built without any drawing, just going off in my mind, piecing it together.
if there's a welder, there's a way"
Oliver

every time i do a build without some decent drawing it seems
like a cut and re-weld to often.
that is a beautiful project.
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Man, this thread is making me want to use my 4943 to build something! Hopefully I will soon, vacation time is just around the corner. I can finally use the 30lbs of 4943 that I have bunker'ed away. :) I still have some 4043, so I'll have to use that up inthe process, seeing as how 4943 is literally the same price.

motox wrote:"ITs funny how when you first start out fabbing, you gotta have a drawing, this I built without any drawing, just going off in my mind, piecing it together.
if there's a welder, there's a way"
Oliver

every time i do a build without some decent drawing it seems
like a cut and re-weld to often.
that is a beautiful project.
craig
I run into the same problem very often, this one somehow just pieced together without a problem.

Thank you, figured it was time to build something for myself for once :lol: