It is currently Sat Jun 24, 2017 1:25 pm Advanced search

Water cooled torch - repair or replace?

Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

Water cooled torch - repair or replace?

Postby daviddoster » Wed May 10, 2017 11:36 pm

Hi folks,

I've got a Chinese WP-20 torch that I've had for 7 or 8 years, just started using it a year or so ago. The torch body and fittings are fine, but the water lines are starting to dry-rot and get pinhole leaks. Haven't checked the gas line yet. Is it best to just bite the bullet and buy a whole new torch with lines attached, or is it possible (and advisable) to get replacement lines? This isn't a $200+ high-end fancy torch from Weldcraft, it's a 12-foot $50 torch from ebay, so if replacement lines are $50 or more, eh, I may just go with a new torch. I see Cyberweld has the Weldcraft W-250 for $163 or thereabouts...

Thanks for any advice.
Dave
daviddoster
New Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: Water cooled torch - repair or replace?

Postby LtBadd » Thu May 11, 2017 4:46 am

daviddoster wrote:Hi folks,

I've got a Chinese WP-20 torch that I've had for 7 or 8 years, just started using it a year or so ago. The torch body and fittings are fine, but the water lines are starting to dry-rot and get pinhole leaks. Haven't checked the gas line yet. Is it best to just bite the bullet and buy a whole new torch with lines attached, or is it possible (and advisable) to get replacement lines? This isn't a $200+ high-end fancy torch from Weldcraft, it's a 12-foot $50 torch from ebay, so if replacement lines are $50 or more, eh, I may just go with a new torch. I see Cyberweld has the Weldcraft W-250 for $163 or thereabouts...

Thanks for any advice.
Dave

Dave, you can replace the hoses, check pricing and then decide which way to go. If you do buy a new torch take a look at the CK lineup as well
Richard

Insert witty, sarcastic, or philosophical remark here.
User avatar
LtBadd
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 1231
Joined: Sun Apr 12, 2015 4:00 pm
Location: Clearwater FL

Re: Water cooled torch - repair or replace?

Postby maker of things » Thu May 11, 2017 8:15 am

usaweld 12' with rigid head as low as $135 delivered. ( I believe these are actually CK torches.) The braided rubber lines are so much nicer to work with. If you were able to wear out your torch, I think you deserve to treat yourself to a nice one.
-Jon

I learned how to weld at night, but not last night. (despite how my weld looks)

Lincoln Viking 3350 K3034-2&3
Dynasty 210DX w/cps and coolmate3
Lincoln Power Mig 180c
hermit.shed on instagram
User avatar
maker of things
Guide
 
Posts: 175
Joined: Tue Jul 19, 2016 6:52 am

Re: Water cooled torch - repair or replace?

Postby Otto Nobedder » Thu May 11, 2017 7:38 pm

Changing hoses on a cheap torch is a PITA. They are secured/sealed (the gas and coolant supply) with .023 safety wire.

The CK torches allow you to change any one component independently, and very easily.

Steve
User avatar
Otto Nobedder
Weldmonger
 
Posts: 8323
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm
Location: Near New Orleans

Re: Water cooled torch - repair or replace?

Postby daviddoster » Thu May 11, 2017 9:37 pm

maker of things wrote:usaweld 12' with rigid head as low as $135 delivered. ( I believe these are actually CK torches.) The braided rubber lines are so much nicer to work with. If you were able to wear out your torch, I think you deserve to treat yourself to a nice one.


Thanks, MoT. That's exactly what I'm gonna tell the wife. ;)

The torch I have now does have braided rubber lines on it. I guess after 6 years of sitting around, the rubber got dry and brittle. I'll take a look at the usaweld torches.

Dave
daviddoster
New Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: Water cooled torch - repair or replace?

Postby daviddoster » Thu May 11, 2017 9:59 pm

Otto Nobedder wrote:Changing hoses on a cheap torch is a PITA. They are secured/sealed (the gas and coolant supply) with .023 safety wire.

The CK torches allow you to change any one component independently, and very easily.

Steve



Thanks, Steve. I guess mine isn't too cheap - it does have screw-on connectors in the torch handle. Yeah, the CK looks like nice torches.

Are CK and Weldcraft the only two "major" brands out there?

Dave
daviddoster
New Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:16 pm

Re: Water cooled torch - repair or replace?

Postby daviddoster » Thu May 11, 2017 10:17 pm

LtBadd wrote:Dave, you can replace the hoses, check pricing and then decide which way to go. If you do buy a new torch take a look at the CK lineup as well


Thanks man. I've been looking around and the braided rubber hoses aren't cheap, especially the power/gas hose. I'm leaning toward a new torch.

Wish Weldcraft's Crafter torches weren't so $$$ - we had them when I was in welding school, and those triangular handles are easy to get used to. But I don't know if I can explain why I need a $250+ welding torch to SWMBO. So probably either the $130 CK or the $150 W250.

Dave
daviddoster
New Member
 
Posts: 5
Joined: Fri Feb 25, 2011 4:16 pm


Return to Tig Welding - Tig Welding Aluminum - Tig Welding Techniques - Aluminum Tig Welding