Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

Something I haven't cared for on my SW200 is the relatively harsh starting current compared to other machines. I saw the Lincoln service guy repairing a machine at school yesterday and I mentioned it to him. He told me the starting current will go down as I lower the current setting on the machine. I leave the machine set to 200A for everything. He said it's not linear, but there are steps where the current gets reduced. He couldn't remember off the top of his head, so maybe something like at 50A, 100A, and 150A the starting current changes. I tried it below 100A and do notice a difference from the 200A setting.

He said this has been one of their most trouble free machines, and they sold 70,000 of them last year.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
    Sun Sep 22, 2013 10:14 am

The lowest Max Amp needed for a given job, the finer/smoother(soft arc starts) the pedal action on most welders.Trying to control a 50amp weld with a 200 amp pedal setting :twisted: . Can it be done?Sure! But then I have enough challenges at my age. :)
Everlast 250EX
Miller 250 syncrowave
Sharp LMV Vertical Mill
Takisawa TSL-800-D Lathe
Coupla Bandsaws,Grinders,surface grinder,tool/cutter grinder
and more stuff than I deserve(Thanks Significant Other)
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

rick9345 wrote:The lowest Max Amp needed for a given job, the finer/smoother(soft arc starts) the pedal action on most welders.
I'm not sure about all machines, but on my machine the pedal doesn't control the current during the initial very short period of time. There is a separate circuit for the starting current on my machine, I think the repair guy said it starts at 25A for a few 10s of milliseconds, then drops down to 10A as control is transferred to the foot pedal position. It's that 25A that really gives quite a noticeable flash when things start. I would guess that's what is being changed when the current dial is reduced. Some machines allow you to change that starting current with a knob.

As far as welding with the dial set at 200A, I often need 200A for tacking. If I forget to change the knob I end up trying to tack at 75A, which doesn't work very well, and then I can never remember where the knob is set, so I just leave it at 200. Instead of having wireless foot pedals, they should have wireless adjustment knobs so I could keep it in my pocket.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch