Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Tue Dec 13, 2016 9:24 pm

jrtyler18943 wrote:
Olivero wrote:The "Le" is not a moving pattern but an attempt to make it sound french. Didn't want to confuse you there.

I thought that's what you were going for haha
Finally, someone that got that one.

I throw my breaker occasionally if I do 140 + but for a timed job, I'll figure out 208V somehow which makes me able to run 140 as much as I damn please.

For aluminum, IMO there is not really a point in getting anything smaller than 3/32" tends to burn up by the time it gets to the weld, unless your a speed dabber. Which I am not :lol:
if there's a welder, there's a way
    Tue Apr 11, 2017 10:31 pm

@ jrtyler18943 - you will receive countless responses of "do this....do that....good....bad....etc". Here's a recommendation.

1. First, core knowledge. Understand and internalize the effects of modulating injected heat and the rate of advance (travel speed) into a workpiece. Watch and listen to Karl Hoes (Instructor/Metallurgist, Lincoln Electric) explain the tactic. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3j-ciGVAxes

2. Second, attack approach. Joint geometries can be simplified via the acronym 'BCTEL'. Butt (groove), Corner (inside, outside), T (fillet), Edge, and Lap.

Recommend you train and become proficient on welding joints in the following order: Lap, T, Corner, Butt, Edge. For mild steel, source/slice 20ft (HRS) sticks or 12ft (CRS) sticks of 2in wide x 1/8in thick material into coupons measuring 2in wide x 6in length x 1/8in thick. With three individual coupons you can weld a lap joint (both sides) and then lay down a fillet weld to create a t-joint. Excellent training tactic that minimizes net material costs.

With these practice coupons use 3/32" tungsten and 1/16" ER70S-2/6 filler. Then, transition into the remaining joints vis a vis Corner, Butt, and Edge. If you start with mild steel, then attack stainless steel, and then aluminum. For aluminum, employ 3/32" filler.

Have heard many fabricators say to start with thicker (ie. 3/16in+) material to learn the process. Totally disagree based on item #1 above and from a cost perspective.

3. Third, mission mindset. Every single weld line you run should have a "purpose". If you run into an issue or have a question at this point, simply stop. ReGroup, modify your approach, and resume activities. Focused hood time, test and learn, test and learn. That's the hustle.

Good fortune with your journey. :cool:
Purpose, then passion. Practitionership. Obsession and hard work. That's the discipline.
motox
    Thu Nov 28, 2013 12:49 pm

"steve wrote,
Both motions are better than "Le Pew" (for those who grew up with Looney Tunes...)

Steve

jeff seems to be influencing you a lot lately ...lol
craig
htp invertig 221
syncrowave 250
miller 140 mig
hypertherm plasma
morse 14 metal devil