Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:53 pm

I just got a everlast 160sth and wanted to be able to use the 220v dryer plug from time to time. The welder is a 3 prong and the dryer is a 4 prong dual voltage nema 14-30R. I've included pics of both plugs. How do I go from the 3 to the 4 without rewiring the welder. I'd still like to use the 110v adapter from time to time if I get side jobs. Would it be easier to find an adapter or just change the receptacle in the wall. Our Dryer runs off a separate 110 socket so the 220 is never used

nelson
    Sun Jul 17, 2016 1:21 pm

I got a 12 GA short ext cord and cut off the female end. Got the right plug and just used that 110-220 adapter we got with the Everlast. I know it's Frankenwiring but it works fine. (nothing gets warm)
Also if anyone uses an extension for the standard 220 plug, just grease the thing. Man they can be hard to unplug. I wanted to stick a screwdriver in there :shock:

Also...don't use that bottom prong. It's the common so your dryer can get 110 volts for its controler or whatever. (maybe that's for the Bluetooth circuit :roll: )
Stone knives and bearskins.....and a NEW EVERLAST 164SI !!!
That's my newly shared work welder.
At home I got a Power Tig 185 DV. Nice, but no plasma cutting... Nice tight arc after a second.
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

nelson wrote:I got a 12 GA short ext cord and cut off the female end. Got the right plug and just used that 110-220 adapter we got with the Everlast. I know it's Frankenwiring but it works fine. (nothing gets warm)
Also if anyone uses an extension for the standard 220 plug, just grease the thing. Man they can be hard to unplug. I wanted to stick a screwdriver in there :shock:

Also...don't use that bottom prong. It's the common so your dryer can get 110 volts for its controler or whatever. (maybe that's for the Bluetooth circuit :roll: )
The common and the ground are at the same potential, as they are bonded together at the main panel. You can use either for the center tap of the three-prong, as they'll be the same size wire all the way back to the breaker. Besides, your control circuits likely use the 110 in a DV machine.

Also, greasing the lugs on the plug is a good idea, but use an electric-rated substance, like N0-Ox-Ide A or something similar (and a little dab'll do ya). Hydrocarbon grease adds a layer of fire hazard in an overheated connection and/or if it builds up in the receptacle over time.

Two cents.

Steve
sedanman
    Sun Jan 03, 2016 2:54 pm

Did you try to plug it in? If it fits, it'll work.
MarkL
    Wed Jun 15, 2016 7:09 pm

djrockytharp wrote:How do I go from the 3 to the 4 without rewiring the welder.
It ain't cheap, but this is the kind of thing you need.
Lincoln Square Wave 200
Lincoln 225 AC/DC
Harris Oxy/Acetylene torch
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Just get a male end and a female end and about 3 ft of wire. Even at HomeDepot you should be able to buy all you need for about 50$.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

I hope you're not welding in the laundry room. :?:
    Thu Jul 31, 2014 5:53 pm

Oscar wrote:I hope you're not welding in the laundry room. :?:
No. Our laundry room is connected to the garage. With two doors. One to the house one to the garage. So I can run an extension cord to that room and use the welder in the garage with the one to the garage mostly closed and the other door closed to the house.