Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
bowleggid
    Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:25 pm

Is it possible to speed tack like Jody does in his welding rod rack video (http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/tig ... -rack.html) using a scratch TIG setup & a torch switch? I'm doubtful, but I'd really like to know if it is possible, because it would give me a good use for my Thunderbolt. It seems unlikely to me, & possibly a waste of gas, as I have to manually turn on & off the gas flow with the torch valve -- but I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

Theoretically possible, you'd have to be an experienced master at it though and snap out might leave soot behind. Torch switch would not be any help as you still need the hot electrode to scratch the work.
Not my idea of fun.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Possible, yes? Worth the effort? No, IMO. You'd need a foot operated high-current contactor to let off the current quickly.
bowleggid
    Mon Mar 13, 2017 4:25 pm

Thank you, Coldman & Oscar. I figured it was something like that - possible, but not recommended/worth it.
This forum is awesome.