It is currently Mon Sep 25, 2017 12:51 pm Advanced search

speed tacking with scratch TIG??

Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process

speed tacking with scratch TIG??

Postby bowleggid » Sun May 14, 2017 6:42 pm

Is it possible to speed tack like Jody does in his welding rod rack video (http://www.weldingtipsandtricks.com/tig ... -rack.html) using a scratch TIG setup & a torch switch? I'm doubtful, but I'd really like to know if it is possible, because it would give me a good use for my Thunderbolt. It seems unlikely to me, & possibly a waste of gas, as I have to manually turn on & off the gas flow with the torch valve -- but I'd appreciate any input. Thanks.
bowleggid

Re: speed tacking with scratch TIG??

Postby Coldman » Sun May 14, 2017 8:03 pm

Theoretically possible, you'd have to be an experienced master at it though and snap out might leave soot behind. Torch switch would not be any help as you still need the hot electrode to scratch the work.
Not my idea of fun.

Sent using Tapatalk
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Coldman
Weldmonger

Postby Oscar » Sun May 14, 2017 8:20 pm

Possible, yes? Worth the effort? No, IMO. You'd need a foot operated high-current contactor to let off the current quickly.
HTP Invertig 221 DV w/ Arctic Chill cooler DV.
Millermatic 211 Inverter w/ Spoolmate-150
Eastwood Versacut 40A Plasma cutter
Oscar
Weldmonger

Postby bowleggid » Mon May 15, 2017 9:28 am

Thank you, Coldman & Oscar. I figured it was something like that - possible, but not recommended/worth it.
This forum is awesome.
bowleggid

Return to Tig Welding - Tig Welding Aluminum - Tig Welding Techniques - Aluminum Tig Welding