Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Motomazzo
    Wed May 17, 2017 12:18 pm

pgk wrote:What do you have your machine set at, freq. balance, amps. argon cfh? how thick is the plate your welding?

I've used a few different settings so they're running together but I've used 125 amps, 10% balance, 30-50-100 AC frequency. About 15 cfh flow on Pyrex gas lens setup. Open to suggestions. This is the first time I've had adjustable AC and balance. Have some other questions about all that. But for my own learning, I usually go to extremes of each to see what the results are. I'm not sure how some of the terms I hear Jody use like "background" and others, relate to my specific machine. That was going to be another post.

JAM
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

Think the old Eastwood had balance but not frequency - anyhow - use low frequency on larger thicker joints where you need maximum heat input & not worried too much about focus - most people will find a "sweet spot " on frequency around 120hz ( ish ) where the arc focuses & becomes more stable / directional into a joint as a general use setting - also helps on edges especially if combined with saw tooth wave form - not sure but I think the new model may also have DC pulse overlay on AC which is good on thicker material - mate has recently got a machine I think has it - should get a play any weekend he's not working - balance can be left around 70% EN / 30% EP depending on which way your machine displays it - bit less cleaning if material is new / clean but rarely above 80 / 20. - if your fairly new to all this don't try changing too many parameters at a time till you get a feel for what they do - " background " as you mentioned is the lower setting when in pulse - I would avoid using pulse till you have a really good grip on every other setting - but that's a personal thing - amps on aluminum I'd say an amp per thou plus 30 > 50 % depending on overall size of piece & how much it absorbs heat - bit less on small parts or if running fixed current with no pedal as you have to be much closer or will overheat very quickly - as to pyrex gas lens- I would not use it especially learning on aluminum - you will crap it up real fast & it is not needed for 99% of jobs - you see it on You Tube because it makes filming arc shots easier - my go to would be a regular collet body & #6 standard pink cup.