Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Motomazzo
    Wed May 17, 2017 12:18 pm

I've recently been practicing a lot. Mostly on aluminum. I'm getting more consistent and fairly comfortable striking up an arc and moving. Finally got my filler hand to where I can feed a whole stick autonomously. That was a huge deal. Occasionally, I will stop and switch over to mild steel or stainless just to change it up. Sometimes it's because I'm tired of the AC noise (usually wear ear plugs). But I am always amazed at my inability to keep from sticking the filler rod to the metal. My technique is essentially the same as aluminum. Keep rod in the shielding. Dab at the edge of the puddle. Dab at the center. Focus on torch angle, etc. But I'll be damned.....it's like the rod weighs 100 lbs and is just destined to stick. Seems like I've read somewhere that things can get magnetized. Don't think that's what's going on here but I may be wrong. Even if it was, I wouldn't think dabbing in a hot puddle of molten steel would matter. When I'm "learning", I typically go to extremes to see what results I get. Last night, I jammed a bunch of pedal in to get the puddle hotter/larger. That didn't seem to help. Just got the workpiece really hot. Not really a serious issue. Just more curious as to what's going on at this point. It's almost comical to me. I do not have this issue at all with Aluminum.

JAM
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

You may be adding too much filler rod when this happens. Adding rod cools your puddle. If you jam a bunch of rod in, with too low a heat on the base metal and in the puddle, the rod doesn't melt off and liquefy, it just "blobs" in and cools everything. The line between molten and too cool is not far, and with steel, it's a delicate balance.

Aluminum rod melts at a much lower temperate and it will melt away on the rod without even getting into the puddle if your torch angle is off, that's why you're finding that easier.
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

cj737 wrote:You may be adding too much filler rod when this happens. Adding rod cools your puddle. If you jam a bunch of rod in, with too low a heat on the base metal and in the puddle, the rod doesn't melt off and liquefy, it just "blobs" in and cools everything. The line between molten and too cool is not far, and with steel, it's a delicate balance.

Aluminum rod melts at a much lower temperate and it will melt away on the rod without even getting into the puddle if your torch angle is off, that's why you're finding that easier.
Or your filler rod is too large. What size are you using(metal and filler)?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

Metal thickness, rod size, amperage, pics, etc - these items really help speed up answering questions.
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

On steel if I'm laying filler wire and walking the cup. I will sometimes leave the wire stuck in the puddle as I taper off. But only if I'm going to light back up on it. I.e. Just stopped long enough to reposition the pipe, or me if that's what has to move.
I have more questions than answers

Josh