Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
IronNick
    Tue Feb 15, 2011 2:52 pm

Hey all... First post here.
Just a quick question. I have just started TIG welding and have everything correctly setup. I'm using a thermal arc 190s inverter and this has no gas port on the machine. It came with a Parweld torch which has gas, current and 2 prong plug. I have to run straight to the flowmeter from torch (with the gas hose) as there is no gas port but this leaves the gas running continuously and as a way of control I have to turn on and off at the flowmeter before/after welding. Is there any better way of saving gas like you do on welders with gas solenoid valves alredy inside?

Cheers. Nick
    Fri Feb 12, 2010 10:48 am

Your only option without running back to the flowmeter every time would be to purchase a torch with a gas valve on it. Then you can just turn the valve on and off at the torch body when you need it.http://www.arc-zone.com/index.php?main_ ... ts_id=6556
Jim
Pipefitter/Weldor out of Local 396
Millermatic 252
Dynasty 200DX
Maxstar 150 STL
Spoolmate 100
Hypertherm Powermax 85
Miller Digital Elite
JD2 Model 32 Bender
Emerson 7120 Horizontal/Vertical Bandsaw
Oxy-Gas Torch outfit
Generac XP8000E Generator
sschefer
    Wed Aug 18, 2010 7:44 pm

Like Jim say's.... The solenoid type gas valves are a luxury. I run a torch with a gas valve so I can adjust on the fly. My flow meter is mounted on my cart not on the bottle and my bottles are remote in a another area of the shop. My welder also has a gas solenoid but I could care less if it had it or not.
Highly skilled at turning expensive pieces of metal into useless but recyclable crap..