Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Zakk
    Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:39 pm

Im tig welding in this fab shop now. Pipe hasent been much of a problem, because I can put a purge to it. I have to make these full welds you know, food grade. The position is flat horozontal like a tee or a butt joint . It is 12 14 16 18 20 GA 308 and 316 stainless steel. There is not a good sensible way to perge this stuff, rather than make a large box out of cardboard, purge it with the peice in it.
Well, I have found that if I put a backing plate under the seam, or a peice of stainless angle in the corner on the other side , it makes the gas build up and creates a deceint purge. When I weld the other side, the weld penetrates the previous weld and turnes it to pure sugar.

Another question is the lowet the Argon pressure the hotter I burn right ? :|
If anyone cah help I'd appreceate it greatley.

Zakk
rod burna
    Sat Dec 05, 2009 1:48 pm

I really hope Jody chimes in on this one cause that dude is a tig welding guru, but i would kinda need to know what cup your running, your stickout for your tungsten and that kind of thing, if you throw out some more details like that you will be sure to get a way better response maybe reply back with that stuff and i'll see if i can help and if not one of the fella's here is sure to.
When all else fails, Force prevails!
brian
    Sat Oct 03, 2009 10:11 pm

The cfh doesn't determine how hot your arc is. i think all it is, is that the thin material your welding needs a backing purge. The 12, 14, and 16 gauge, maybe get away with moving a little faster and colder. the thinner material really needs a purge.
Zakk
    Thu Dec 10, 2009 9:39 pm

Im welding with a #6 cup 1/16 tungston stuckout about 1/4 to 5/16 . But look here I was reading this book by Lincoln called The Procedure Handbook of Arc Welding and low and behold I have found The answer. I am welding on a water cooled Lincon tigmaster 355 machine with a foot pedal. I had the gas at 35 pounds and the heat set on 67 I turned the gas to 10 pounds and the heat down 5 and bam baby a sweet weld using a back plate to catch and purgh the gas on one side. Oh yeah no suger and no burn through on the previous weld . So is does pay to be persistant read matieral and do a little homework.
Im confident in my ability to make these food grade welds now.
One more thing Id still rather be fitting pipe!