Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Chips O'Toole wrote:Should I avoid using the same piece of tungsten on different metals?
No. But you might want to touch it up before you switch metals. Grind off the little ball if you were on AC...heck sometimes I forget and weld on DC with a balled tungsten. It's all good.
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
thespian
    Sun Mar 13, 2016 4:56 pm

Chips O'Toole wrote:Should I avoid using the same piece of tungsten on different metals?
I use the same tungsten for everything, and have not had a problem at all. There may be a case some day where they say you have to use a new tungsten , but I haven't seen that yet.
Thespian is just an old username I have used forever , my name is Bill
    Wed Aug 19, 2015 11:19 pm

Work on keeping your torch angle as close to perpendicular to the joint as possible and shorten your arc. The tungsten should almost touch when starting and until you start moving and adding filler and then stay as close as possible when moving the torch. If your not puddling within 3 or so seconds after starting the arc, your either too low amp, too long an arc or both. Watch Jody's 3 mistakes in TIG welding for some good tips and try to emulate the technique.
Jim S.
Miller 211 Autoset
Everlast 255EXT
Everlast Water Cooler (2)
Everlast PowerPlasma 80S
Longevity 250MP
Lincoln 350MP Aluminum
Hypertherm 30Air
Everlast 350EXT