Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Dec 01, 2016 12:30 pm

Yesterday I read about a guy who got sick from stick welding. I started asking questions, and I was told that TIG and MIG can give off stuff one should not breathe. I already knew about zinc fumes, but apparently there are other things, like chromium and nickel.

Is it worth it to get safety gear for MIG and TIG? I've seen supplied air rigs that include auto-darkening helmets. They look like they would not be fun to wear. Allegro makes a bag sort of thing you wear under your own helmet.
I was socially distant when social distancing wasn't cool.
    Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:45 am

After reading up on the fumes and gasses that are made and generated from welding, I got a little nervous. I read up on allowable exposure limits and went with a 3M PAPR with the flip up shield. I love it. Its comfortable and easy to get along with. I did try the under the helmet filters and did not like them. Its great now that its getting hotter out. Keeps you nice and cool. One recommendation I do have if you go self powered is get the add on charcoal filter for orders. I would of ever thought of it. The filter sits right above tour ass and when you fart, guess what? face full of fart.

BONUS!
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

Depends on what kinds of materials you are working on and where you are at. If you have a decent sized shop with some doors and windows and some fans-probably not. If you are doing work in a small shop with poor ventilation it might be the way to go. If you want fairly cheap protection you can get the 3m half mask respirator that fits under most helmets. I just got one after I was running a lot of self shielded flux core outside of the booth and wore a cheap cloth dust mask and when I was done it was just pure black after an hour.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick

I just read that cheap N95 masks are good enough for chromium.

Chips O'Toole wrote:I just read that cheap N95 masks are good enough for chromium.
Just priced these at Bakers Gas & Welding Supply, 10 pack (Miller brand) at $45, Amazon (3M brand) at $16 :!:
Richard
Website
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

N95, if they fit good, are sufficient for hex-chrome and most other welding fume. Even the megacorp that destroyed us a few years ago considered them adequate, and they were safety ASSHOLES.

Steve
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Just came to think about hex chrome will be banned in Europe on September 21 this year. How would that impact welding? Any new products to be launched soon?
    Sun Oct 27, 2013 10:57 pm

AndersK wrote:Just came to think about hex chrome will be banned in Europe on September 21 this year. How would that impact welding? Any new products to be launched soon?
An interesting article on that ban: http://www.galvatek.eu/2016/12/15/as-of ... treatment/
Dave J.

Beware of false knowledge; it is more dangerous than ignorance. ~George Bernard Shaw~

Syncro 350
Invertec v250-s
Thermal Arc 161 and 300
MM210
Dialarc
Tried being normal once, didn't take....I think it was a Tuesday.
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Coaters have indeed been working hard the last year's to comply with new regulations. Yellow chromating is almost gone now. Hard chromium plating will have an exception a few years more, too difficult to fully replace yet.

I was more thinking about the welding fumes, has to fall under the same regulations.
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Hex-chrome! The next Asbestos! Get it while supplies last.
I have more questions than answers

Josh

Poland308 wrote:Hex-chrome! The next Asbestos! Get it while supplies last.
I want mine to be GMO and MSG on the side, thanks :lol:
Richard
Website
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

LtBadd wrote:
I second that. But without the MSG. :D (himalayan pink sea salt please)
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

electrode wrote:
LtBadd wrote:
I second that. But without the MSG. :D (himalayan pink sea salt please)
Sea salt has been found to contain nano-plastics http://grist.org/article/theres-plastic ... tudy-says/ The only way to not die of some form of chemical pollution is to get off this planet so to Hell with filters and PPO...take it like a man you sissies :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.