Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

stefuel wrote:Never thought about this much as I never have done any titanium but could you buy a cheap Harbor Freight sand blasting cabinet and modify it into a small part welding chamber?
It could, but it's easier and faster to write a check to CK Worldwide for their collapsible clear plastic purge chamber. :)
    Mon Aug 10, 2015 9:45 am

I think there is only a few applications where a fully inert atmosphere is required for titanium welding. During my research I did come across aviation welding where it was done with a large trailing shield and a good back purge with a oxygen monitor. These parts were 100% quality control to the point where the flagged filler rods were kept in a locked storage tube. When the welding was done each filler rod lot number was recorded and the stub ends kept and stored. Like Oscar said, depends wht the end goal is to be. But will disagree about needing expensive cups, or some kind of purge chamber. There a large number of people producing perfect silver welds with perfect penetration with nothing more than a massive cup, good purge and a massive amount of patience.
    Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Skylineauto wrote:But will disagree about needing expensive cups, or some kind of purge chamber. There a large number of people producing perfect silver welds with perfect penetration with nothing more than a massive cup, good purge and a massive amount of patience.
I agree with you, simply because I wasn't specific enough. When you need to hammer out parts fast in a production environment, you can't hang around and wait for the metal to cool on it's own, and active purging becomes a necessity in order to make welds that are longer than you could if you didn't have additional purging. If you're making one-off parts here-and-there with no timeline working at your own pace, then I completely agree that with enough patience to overcome the waiting that parts need to cool off , one can produce very nice welds as a result of multiple short beads that allow for intermittent cooling between bead runs.