Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

Since all sorts of new vehicles are starting to use aluminum frames I bet this will soon become a common repair.
I have more questions than answers

Josh
cj737
    Thu Sep 29, 2016 8:59 am

Poland308 wrote:Since all sorts of new vehicles are starting to use aluminum frames I bet this will soon become a common repair.
This is quite true. Even body panels are moving towards alloy. BUT, the repair procedures at the Dealerships is per manufacturer guidelines. That is the means by which insurance liability and road-worthy certificates can be re-issued. Ford has required Dealers to purchase and become certified on specialized repairs for the F-x50 trucks body panels alone. I have no idea about possible frame repairs. The machinability (forming/bending) of the frame material is a major factor in repairs.
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Thu Dec 26, 2013 12:41 am

Also, China will make you anything you want. Just gotta find the right factory that doesn't produce shoddy stuff. A dollar goes a looooong way over there. Just gotta keep the shipping in check. ;)
stefuel
    Sat May 27, 2017 6:26 am

This is a very rough sketch of what I plan on removing from the OEM frame for access to straighten it out. I think it can be done with no problem and in under a day. The alternative is remove the engine cradle, suspension, drivers side interior, floor, cross members and supports. Then sawzall the frame in half per the manual and splice under the rocker panel. a new frame rail is about a thousand dollars and about 40-60 hours of your time to do it. PM me a e-mail address and I'll send the first responder a copy of the manual See section 2-20
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (89.98 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
Poland308

What would I cost to buy the part of the frame you need from another wrecked car? Like one that got rear ended.

Josh
Coldman
    Mon Dec 15, 2014 2:16 am

I not buying into the legal/moral side of this, just from a purely metal repair aspect only.

One possibility is to cut out the damaged section as per your sketch, anneal it, work it back into shape, heat treat it to T7 and MIG weld it back in quick with 5356 as per GM recommendation. Much of the T7 temper lost in the weld heat affected zone will recover with a few weeks of age due to the nature of 6063 alloy. I can't see why this wouldn't be a valid repair.
Of course if the damaged section is torn or cracked it probably can't be re-used.

Why don't you open your one and only pic in paint, zoom into the damage, re-save it as a pdf and post it up for us to see instead of expecting everyone to do it for you individually?
Flat out like a lizard drinkin'
Turbo
    Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:11 pm

I think your going to make things worse by cutting and welding on it. Obviously your not going heat treat it again when your done. You said it's in alignment, so why does it need to be fixed?
Miller Dynasty 210dx

instagram: rsengineeringllc
dave powelson
    Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:09 am

Turbo wrote:I think your going to make things worse by cutting and welding on it. Obviously your not going heat treat it again when your done. You said it's in alignment, so why does it need to be fixed?
....ummm...the OP hasn't replied to my query of alignment--wheel alignment is one thing,
frame alignment of every datum and fixture point is totally another--which I mentioned-prior.
A good impact hit can tweak frame alignment from front to rear and the sides. That's why
repair shops put vehicle on frame alignment machines to check.

I'll second your question about why bothering to repair at all.
OP has already indicated that he's going to do it his way, anyway.
Coldman

Zoomed the pic for a closer look.
I recon there is little chance the chassis is not out of alignment. I don't think cut-bash-reweld will fix it strength for safety or geometrically.
You need to replace that section on a chassis table.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Coldman wrote:Zoomed the pic for a closer look.
I recon there is little chance the chassis is not out of alignment. I don't think cut-bash-reweld will fix it strength for safety or geometrically.
Good answer Coldie. Not to change the subject...just curious...do you guys have American cars down under?
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Poland308

They use em for mail carriers only.

Josh
stefuel

I have a offer in on this car based on worst case. If and when it gets here, the first thing that happens is the door and rocker panel come off and 8 measurements will be taken. If those 8 measurements jive, I will be doing minor surgery and not a transplant. A transplant includes a lot of cutting and welding of much more critical areas then where I want to cut and weld.
If half the rail does in fact have to be replaced then so be it. I can't do any more damage to what's there by trying. There is nothing critical in that spot but it does need to be flat in that section to remount the windshield washer tank
stefuel

Like this
Attachments
windshield washer tank.jpg
windshield washer tank.jpg (63.25 KiB) Viewed 1086 times
Coldman

exnailpounder wrote:
Good answer Coldie. Not to change the subject...just curious...do you guys have American cars down under?
We have cars from all over including American. Petrol heads drool over camaros, vettes and mustangs. We even have an Australian compliant mustang right hand drive out of the factory sold by Ford Australia. Both Ford Australia and GM are shutting down their Australian factories shortly and all future models will be imported. I prefer the classic muscle cars myself. My friend is restoring a 33 chevy (coupe?) right now but fitting a new 350 and he's a pom.

Sent using Tapatalk
Poland308

If you are successful and you manage to get it retested and certified, then you might be placing yourself ahead of the coming curve for future repairs like this. That kind of experience could be very profitable. Might not be the path your planning on, but money talks.

Josh
stefuel

Poland308 wrote:If you are successful and you manage to get it retested and certified, then you might be placing yourself ahead of the coming curve for future repairs like this. That kind of experience could be very profitable. Might not be the path your planning on, but money talks.
Been there, done that turning 62 in a week and have zero interest in any new profit venture. This is just a fun project to work on with my book worm son who has zero mechanical skills. I come from a family of master Mr. Fix-it's. Have to try to pass some of that on along with some tool safety. Right now if you asked him to tell you what color my newest welder is he's say
"what's a welder" :roll:

For what it's worth, the answer is green.
stefuel

If I do this job I'll be forced to buy a new TIG torch. This big 250 amp water cooled torch sucks for working on small projects in tight quarters Need a nice 150-200 amp air cooled flex-loc with that nice small flex cable. The cable on the torch I have is like a vacuum cleaner hose.
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Coldman wrote:
exnailpounder wrote:
We have cars from all over including American. Petrol heads drool over camaros, vettes and mustangs. We even have an Australian compliant mustang right hand drive out of the factory sold by Ford Australia. Both Ford Australia and GM are shutting down their Australian factories shortly and all future models will be imported. I prefer the classic muscle cars myself. My friend is restoring a 33 chevy (coupe?) right now but fitting a new 350 and he's a pom.

Sent using Tapatalk
Thanks Coldie...I have never been out of this country before and always wonder about other places. Man...I always knew the major manufacturers were monster corporations but apparently they're way bigger than I thought. What about Harleys?
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
Coldman

They're big here too. And of course you can't be a member of a "motor cycle club" without one tricked up.

Sent using Tapatalk
noddybrian
    Thu Jan 24, 2013 12:13 pm

I bet the " motor cycle club " members have watched every episode of the " training program " !

Yes - Sons of Anarchy has a lot to answer for here !