Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
Farmwelding
    Thu Mar 10, 2016 11:37 pm

I remember hearing a couple times that tig without filler is weaker than with filler. Why is this? Is the no filler lacking reinforcement or is there something else going on? Or am I just crazy and misheard it?
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Instagram: @farmwelding
Nick
exnailpounder
    Thu Dec 25, 2014 9:25 am

Farmwelding wrote:I remember hearing a couple times that tig without filler is weaker than with filler. Why is this? Is the no filler lacking reinforcement or is there something else going on? Or am I just crazy and misheard it?
You answered your own question. Of course filler adds reinforcement. Are you selling any of what you're smoking? :lol:
Ifyoucantellmewhatthissaysiwillbuyyouabeer.
    Sat Mar 30, 2013 11:49 am

Stainless is alright without filler but mild steel need the oxidisers in the filler material to regain full strength.

Depending on application it's often strong enough without filler.
Farmwelding

exnailpounder wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:I remember hearing a couple times that tig without filler is weaker than with filler. Why is this? Is the no filler lacking reinforcement or is there something else going on? Or am I just crazy and misheard it?
You answered your own question. Of course filler adds reinforcement. Are you selling any of what you're smoking? :lol:
Hey I just wanted to check-and no it's not for sale-but all you have to do is stand under the fumes from self shielded flux core or a diesel tractor.
A student now but really want to weld everyday. Want to learn everything about everything. Want to become a knower of all and master of none.
Nick
exnailpounder

Try AL without filler once. ;)
Farmwelding

exnailpounder wrote:Try AL without filler once. ;)
Don't worry-tacks without filler I have done a few times and found out real quick why not to. Got an inch into a butt joint and I heard a pop and about half way down it turned into a lap joint. T-joint on aluminum I wouldn't do but if it wasn't critical outside corners some laps and tight butt joints can be done without filler(cue corny sex joke from Jeff)
Nick
exnailpounder

Farmwelding wrote:
Don't worry-tacks without filler I have done a few times and found out real quick why not to. Got an inch into a butt joint and I heard a pop and about half way down it turned into a lap joint. T-joint on aluminum I wouldn't do but if it wasn't critical outside corners some laps and tight butt joints can be done without filler(cue corny sex joke from Jeff)
I'll pass on the corny sex joke but I feel bad for you that you could only "get an inch into a butt joint"...are you Irish? :lol:
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

exnailpounder wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:
I'll pass on the corny sex joke but I feel bad for you that you could only "get an inch into a butt joint"...are you Irish? :lol:
Yeah, are you Irish? :lol:
stefuel
    Sat May 27, 2017 6:26 am

exnailpounder wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:

What did she say??? "Reel out more filler rod. You're no where near the open root"
electrode
    Wed Nov 02, 2016 5:02 pm

Farmwelding wrote:
I'll pass on the corny sex joke but I feel bad for you that you could only "get an inch into a butt joint"...are you Irish? :lol:[/quote]

What did she say??? "Reel out more filler rod. You're no where near the open root"[/quote]

That's what she said! :lol:
Farmwelding

exnailpounder wrote:
Farmwelding wrote:
Well at least I'm not chinese(no offense to those who are) and no I'm Norwegian and Serbian. And I will not discuss the matter any further
Nick
Turbo
    Fri Nov 20, 2015 4:11 pm

I've only ever heard that it is weaker with aluminum. On steels it depends mostly on the type of joint.
Miller Dynasty 210dx

instagram: rsengineeringllc