Tig welding tips, questions, equipment, applications, instructions, techniques, tig welding machines, troubleshooting tig welding process
WildWestWelder
    Mon Apr 03, 2017 7:43 pm

A very well known veterinarian horse surgeon has asked me to extend a retractor for him. The material is very magnetic and by my research this could fall into the 410-416 series SS which is used for surgical tools of this type. Anything special about welding it and what type of rod?

Thanks
Poland308
    Thu Sep 10, 2015 8:45 pm

http://www.harrisproductsgroup.com/~/me ... ection.pdf

Looks like 309 would work. Or some 410. Might be a good project to use a purge box for
I have more questions than answers

Josh
Kevin_Holbrook
    Wed Oct 15, 2014 1:02 am

could be 17-4 ph
    Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:40 pm

WildWestWelder wrote:A very well known veterinarian horse surgeon has asked me to extend a retractor for him. The material is very magnetic and by my research this could fall into the 410-416 series SS which is used for surgical tools of this type. Anything special about welding it and what type of rod?

Thanks
The welds are simple enough. I'd use 312 or NiCrMo3 for a surgical tool. The suggestion of 410 can work, too, but as a Martensitic filler, some post weld heat treatment may be in order to keep the welds from being brittle.

What are you using to "extend" them? Do you have donor material from similar tools? Or are you stuck mixing materials?

Steve